Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2525&start_row=1

Where does shiva fit into the Rastafari movement?

1 - 1011
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 12/24/2007 9:33:47 PM

I and I have heard people like Lee Scratch Perry talking about Shiva and other Hindu gods. I and I would like to know how that fits into the Rastafari movement. I and I will not denounce this as satanic as some may suspect, but I and I curious as to how this got into the Rasta movement. I and I have also seen Lee Scratch Perry on a beer commercial and that makes the I wonder if Lee Scratch Perry has sold out to Babylon.

Haile Selassie I
RasTafari
King of Kings Lord of Lords

Selam

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 12/25/2007 1:54:54 PM

Ises

To me the question is, where do guys like Lee Perry fit into the RastafarI Movement?

When you ask yaself this question first of all, then other questions drop, because they do not have any substance. When you find RastafarI inside yourself, you won't waste your time asking such things. You just learn and know.
If we spent so much time studying the teachings of His Majesty instead of listening to fancy reggae music....

And when the I start to study the Speeches of IMajesty, the I will learn much concerning this question. Not about Shiva and these things, but about His Majesty's thoughts on eastern philosophy.

Interestingly, I just came around this site right now to go to the speeches section, to finally sum up all those speeches of His Majesty concerning eastern philosophy. A work which I need to do for a long time now. And now I come across this topic. I love how life is always amusing, like a theater, as HIM said.

Selah

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 12/25/2007 2:42:44 PM

Ises

For now, this quote of HIM might be helpful.

"Were the thoughts of Plato and Socrates, the beliefs of Christianity and Judaism not harmonized with Hindu philosophy; were Yoga and its various stages not exposed to Western thought; had Western religion and philosophy not been exposed to the philosophy and religion of the East through Your Excellency's persistent endeavour, how much the poorer would human thought have been!"

Radhakrishan Receives Degree From H.S.I.U.
Wednesday, October 13, 1965

SELAH

Messenger: ROOK FARI SELAH Sent: 12/26/2007 9:28:22 AM

blessed love I TRY NOT TO MIX ENTERTAINMENT "REGGAE MUSIC" AND FAITH
SINCE I HAVE BEEN A SELECTOR AND DJ FOR YEARS I STUDY REGGAE MUSIK INSIDE OUT SOUND SYSTEMS, PRODUCERS ,BANDS, AND SINGERS DJS BUT I KEEP THAT SEPERATE STILL SO THAT I DONT LET OTHERS INFLUENCE ,REFLECT ON ME ...NUFF MAN TODAY EVEN MIX UP YORUBA WITH HIS MAJESTY WHICH IS THERE POROGITIVE ..
BUT IF A ONE ONLY KNOW JAH TRU MUSIK THEYD BE ON A ROLLER COASTER RIDE WITH ALL THE THINGS PEOPLE SAY

SCRATCH
IS NOT A RASTAMAN
HE ONCE SAID HE WANTED "TO RECORD PARTY CHUNE" ECAUSE THE SOUND OF THE TIME WAS "TOO RASTAFARI"
AND TO HIM IT WAS BASICALLY DEPRESSING TO HEAR OVER AND OVER AGAIN
I HEARD THIS IN AN INTERVIEW FOR MY SELF YEARS AGO
ANOTHER THING HE SAID
"I DONT PRAY ILL MAKE U PAY"
SO UNLESS HES TALIKIN ABOUT RIDDIM
I DONT TOO MUCH PAY HIM NO MIND
HE IS ALWAYS TALKIN IN CIRCLES ANY WAY LIKE A MUSICALLY BRILLIANT MAD MAN
LOVE HIM STILL ONE OF THE BADDEST PRODUCER EVER LIVED ...
TO ME HES UP THERE, WITH
DUKE REID[TREASURE ISLE]
COXONE DOD [STUDIO ONE]
SONYA POTTINGER
BUNNY LEE U KNOW

PERRY COULD TUNE THE BASS SO HEAVY .....IF U EVER HEARD THE FIRST RECORD OF SUN IS SHININ.. BOOM BOOM BOOM ...BAH BOOM BOOM...
BOOM BOOM BOOM
ON THE "BOOTLEG MADE IN CANADA TAPES OF BOB" THAT SCRATCH PIRATE ,OR THE UPSETTERS SHOP ALBUM "UNCLE CHARLEY" WITH ALL THE BOTTLE WHISTLIN
UD KNOW WHAT I MEAN ...ONE THING BOUT HIM NOW
LEE PERRY LOVE MYSTICS .....HE MIX EVERY THING TOGETHER IN HIS MIND
AND DO HIS OWN MATH
BUT HE SAID HE LOVE HIS MAJESTY
BUT HE DIDDNT REALLY WANT A PART OF THE OVER ALL MOVEMENTS AS A RASTAMAN

Messenger: Prince Hotep Sent: 12/26/2007 10:34:02 AM

bless
Lee is no rasta, but he is a musical genius.

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 12/26/2007 5:22:20 PM

Greetings...

Just wanted to add...Lee Perry was in tune with more Rastafari People, and was no stranger to the movement. He surely knew of the Hindu influence in the movement, as there were many Indians coming to Jamaica at the time for work. So who is Shiva? the Hindu God of Destruction and Renewal, Shiva's female incarnation is Kali (Collie) and Lee Perry knew about Collie, no doubt. I've seen Lee Perry with His Majesty's image on his forehead and talking about what a pum pum hound he is, strange life he leads, but everything is in the eye of the beholder so I don't want to judge. Lee Perry has been the cornerstone of some of the most upfull Rastafarian reggae this world has ever seen. What is the definition by which One knows another as a Rasta?

SELAM

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/26/2007 10:18:25 PM

Here are some quotes from Lee Scratch Perry.

--------------------
The dreadlocks around me, them poor people, so them make poor reggae. When I was a dread, I was an actor, a dead-dread. Now I am alive as a doctor, and I represent God, and God is not a Rasta.
--------------------

--------------------
The colours of rain don’t belong to the Rasta, they belong to the rain. Put some water in a glass right now! Hold it up against the wall: it form and show you a rainbow. You will see no dread in there. Hold it up against the wall! You see red, gold and green? You sure as hell don’t see a Rasta in there, surely not!
--------------------

--------------------
My music represent God. And there is only one house on this earth that represent God, and that is my house. The house of Neptune, the true an’ living god. Merlin, the magic master, he give me the music sword named Excalibur. I am an extra-terrestrial, not from another planet but from heaven. My real name is Rainford Hugh Perry. And in the beginning there was the word ‘rain’. The word ‘rain’ take unto himself flesh and blood and become a living soul. I am a living soul. My name is R-A-I-N-ford. Do you understand?
--------------------

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 12/27/2007 12:34:17 PM

Yes. A Freemason that! I saw a documentary of him. Mad as a hatter.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 12/27/2007 2:05:53 PM

haha
yes i, Rook, i love hearing that, talk music and i feel i am in my element lol'
I will say, as a producer of i own music, Lee Perry is IT, not one of the baddest, The Baddest.....in any genre of music....to me

Love Duke Reid, Coxone, love Bunny lee and his high symbal sound (check Jhonny Clarke) like mad,
but Perry, no one in the world have i seen who overstood sound like that man
And that BASS lol, that heavy bottom,shake the ground under your feet, sound.
Not so hard to see how that mans mind can be a bit unstable....like a lot of geniuses
just listen to the early version of MR.Brown...mad.

And to all, there is no use trying to figure the man out using the words of his own mouth. lol
For every thing he says about a certain thing, you will find another quote that counteracts it

Messenger: Major Scorpion Sent: 12/27/2007 6:56:21 PM

No Doubt that Mr. Pipecock Jackson is a Musical Genius, but I'm also thinking he's also a good actor and not so crazy as he seems to be, more a commercial mastermind;) And be honest, he can't do anything wrong anymore, everything he makes is good just because it's his. I'm a bigger fan of his son right now (Omar Perry already played twice in my town, he's living here in Belgium), the voice of Omar can handle all styles from ska to ragga.

my opinion on shiva: We can learn some things from hindoeism, but I pray to RasTafarI and not to Shiva.

1 - 1011

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I