Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2280&start_row=21

Discipline

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 55
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/5/2007 2:36:59 PM

That is good to hear that you were obedient and respectful to your parents. They must have raised you well.

The only time I would have any fear of I parents is if I did something wrong, and the fear really wasn't that serious and wasn't even that much a fear of them. It was more of a fear of the action of getting spanked. I parent spanked I but they never beat I too hard, so there wasn't really a reason to be afraid of them.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/5/2007 2:53:14 PM

Alexander,
i think you will disagree with i, lol, but almost everything you have said in the last post is full of error.
But i overstand it.
Because to you it is just a theory, it is just something you have heard others speak about, or maybe even something you have read somewhere.
But, seen, ini are speaking of what ini been through, this is what the experiences of ini life has taught us.
When i read your post, i just have to wonder if you even read what i was saying
To equate physical correction automatically with violence is almost laughable to i, no disrespect
evil for evil??? this is your perception of the correction of a child??....plz go back right to the beginning of this post and tell me that the bible is telling ini to reward "evil for evil"
To even think that ini say that children must sometimes experience physical punishment when necessary is because of their "inexperience" or a lack of intelligence is a great error

Previously i said, "respect not fear", just so no one will misunderstand and say the things you just said....but...like i said, im wondering if you even read my post because for me to say "respect not fear" based on what i and all the youths around i experienced, and then for you, who never experienced it to come and say "Physical punishment makes children fear their parents, not respect them" is pretty strange to i.

Another strange thing to i, is that some ones here seem to have the idea that by saying that there should be no physical punishment of children, they are in a way becoming "better" or i dont know "more aware" Rastas. But tell me, whose ideas are more in tune with how people in babylon have been raising their children for so long? yours or mine? If you cant see what this kind of child rearing is doing to the youths in this babylon society, then, i really dont know what else to say.
What is really funny to me is that ,so many times i see children and older youths who never experienced these things behaving in ways that, to i, is so disrespectful of their parents, and they dont even know it

Actually, i have to add, a lot of times even the parents dont know it as well , well, ofcourse they were raised that way too

well, so it goes

Blessed love
Rastafari is

Messenger: Alexander Sent: 10/5/2007 2:57:51 PM

Many thanks, Ark I, for bringing such positive reasonings to this topic.

It is good to hear that you did not fear your parents and that they did not beat you too hard.

However, every person has their own mind and all children do not handle physical punishment is the same way. Another person might not experience the way you were raised in the same way that you did.

Messenger: Alexander Sent: 10/5/2007 3:22:20 PM

Ras KebreAB, I overstand your point. It is true that I am speaking a lot in theory, but then again, I did not claim to speak in absolute facts. As I said, I base my opinion on other people's stories and also on how I think that I would react in certain situations.

I overstand what you mean when you say that physical correction cannot be equated with violence, as the purpose of physical correction is not to injure the child. Still, it does not take much to realize that a young, inexperienced child can very easily take this physical punishment as a confirmation of that violence is acceptable.

I strongly oppose your view that the way some children behave in Babylon is the result of parents not using physical punishment. In my eyes, if it is anything that causes this type of behavior, it is the parents neglecting their children. It is because some parents do not even care about their children, and that they do not raise them in any way at all. Also, the fact that many parents go out of control with their physical punishment is very likely to contribute to the bad behavior of some children.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 10/5/2007 5:38:47 PM

Praises
Alexander I think there's something deeply amiss in your reasoning.
The I said, "Still, it does not take much to realize that a young, inexperienced child can very easily take this physical punishment as a confirmation of that violence is acceptable."
Aya now discipline and violence are worlds apart. Firstly a child can know physical discipline and never know what violence is until and when they are exposed to it. Secondly children do know how to distinguish between physical force used as discipline and physical force as violence. You underestimate their reasoning capacity and your also approach this subject from the view that physical discipline is a form of violence. Perhaps its the way you grew up as you say and you must know I children who grow up in homes where there is physical discipline know the difference between the two. They also know what physical abuse is, the borders are quite clear in the minds of the youth. I'm not speaking for all cases of course, I know in some extreme cases children don't know its abuse, but I'm speaking in a very general and very loose sense. And also if its explained to the child why they are being hit then surely then know its because they've done wrong and not some act that can be classified as violence. Violence - that word is rather odd and a bit of an overstatement for anything that ranges between an ear pinch to a hiding. There are varying degrees and violence is the very extreme and I strongly doubt Ras KebreAB or Ark I were speaking in that sense.
You went on to say, "I strongly oppose your view that the way some children behave in Babylon is the result of parents not using physical punishment." Aya have you seen the way some of these children behave, I'm not an advocate for beatings but when I see how some of these kids fight, swear, threaten their parents, I feel a sound beating is needed to set them straight. Honestly how can a five year old threaten their parent with a knife or wilfully burn down the house as a tantrum? Its a sign of lack of discipline and I think the parents needed to institute that from the get-go. Whatever form of discipline it is. The kids here get away with so much because they are allowed to, parents can't put their foot down whether verbal or physical because it'll be called emtional or phyisical abuse. Its not beatings that foster ras-pect but its laying down the law of the home, simple and clear. I have friends whose parents never beat them but they were still raised in strict homes and other forms of discipline were used. So its not only physical punishment lacking in Babylon but a basic code of discipline for children to abide by. And of course there are all the influences of tv, music, video games, peers even food with all those E numbers that contribute to the character a child has. And just thinking of all these influences also indicates where children in the West learn violence from. And what's scary is that they feel they be violent and do all sorts of things to their parents, even kill them. Now parents live in fear of their children jst because they spared their children the rod. Its heavy , I.
Blessed Love

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/5/2007 6:00:47 PM

Yes i sistren Ten "The kids here get away with so much because they are allowed to, parents can't put their foot down whether verbal or physical because it'll be called emtional or phyisical abuse."

that is something to think about

Messenger: Mau Mau Sent: 10/6/2007 1:00:33 PM

Yes I Ras Kebre, society nowadays are letting the youths lack discipline in the name of not perpetrating 'abuse' to their young ones. I give thanks for the strict discipline I got from I parents. One has to make a decision, will you let your children grow up indisciplined and let babylon later in life have an excuse to lock 'em up in prison and jail cell. Nowadays they're even trying children as adults. As for me I'll uphold the wisdom of the Incients and ancestors and will not spare the rod. Bring up the youths in the right way The Most High Jah hold I n I acountable for them.

Rastafari!

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/6/2007 1:36:28 PM

Blessed Love Mau Mau , yes i, the i see it
As the idren Alexander says "
"I strongly oppose your view that the way some children behave in Babylon is the result of parents not using physical punishment. In my eyes, if it is anything that causes this type of behavior, it is the parents neglecting their children."

The i should realeyes that not to punish children according to their wrongdoing is one of the greatest forms of neglect

Blessed Love
Rastafari is

Messenger: Alexander Sent: 10/6/2007 1:53:21 PM

Brethren and sistren, you seem to have misoverstood my point. I believe in strict discipline for children, I just think that there are better ways of disciplining a child than to use physical punishment. There is really no need for such punishment, as there are plenty of other effective ways of disciplining a child. Physical punishment is something very negative and ineffective to me, and I just want for all children to have the most positive upbringing possible.

Truly, to spare the rod is to hate your son, but I do not think that I and I should think that it is a physical rod that is spoken of.

Jah live

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/6/2007 2:03:59 PM

Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die
Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

Iyah, you really think that is not a physical rod?

I overs your views iyah, but i have lived in both societies where physical punishment of children is not accepted and where it is the most natural thing. And i see the differences clearly. Perhaps ones think these verses in the bible are somehow outdated but nothing could be further than the truth
So, the i doesnt have to agree with i, just keep it in your mind, life just might show the i somethings one day, seen

Bless, give thanks for the reasoning
Rastafari is

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 55

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I