Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2181&start_row=1

Steve Bantu Biko

1 - 1011 - 16
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ten Sent: 9/12/2007 3:27:55 PM

Greetings
On this day in 1977 Steve Bantu Biko died in police detention in Pretoria, South Africa. The police said it was the result of an extended hunger strike but truth is he had suffered a massive head injury as a result of police brutality. He had been arrested under the Terrorism Act of '67 because he was instrumental in the ANC anti-apartheid struggle. Biko was a revolutionary fighter who died in battle against racism. His views on Black Consciousness are as relevant today as they were when Biko wrote I Write What I Like.
Long live the memory of Bantu Biko, may we never forget his life paid the price of freedom.

Here are a few quotes from his book and some speeches:

"Being black is not a matter of pigmentation - being black is a reflection of a mental attitude."
The Definition of Black Consciousness, I Write What I Like, 1978.

"Black Consciousness is an attitude of the mind and a way of life, the most positive call to emanate from the black world for a long time. Its essence is the realisation by the black man of the need to rally together with his brothers around the cause of their oppression - the blackness of their skin - and to operate as a group to rid themselves of the shackles that bind them to perpetual servitude."
The Quest for a True Humanity, I Write What I Like, 1978.

"The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed."
Speech in Cape Town, 1971

"We do not want to be reminded that it is we, the indigenous people, who are poor and exploited in the land of our birth. These are concepts which the Black Consciousness approach wishes to eradicate from the black man's mind before our society is driven to chaos by irresponsible people from Coca-cola and hamburger cultural backgrounds."
The Quest for a True Humanity, I Write What I Like, 1978.

"So as a prelude whites must be made to realise that they are only human, not superior. Same with Blacks. They must be made to realise that they are also human, not inferior."
As quoted in the Boston Globe, 25 October 1977.

"You are either alive and proud or you are dead, and when you are dead, you can't care anyway."
On Death, I Write What I Like, 1978

"The basic tenet of black consciousness is that the black man must reject all value systems that seek to make him a foreigner in the country of his birth and reduce his basic human dignity."
From Steve Biko's evidence given at the SASO/BPC trial, 3 May 1976.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 9/12/2007 4:21:50 PM

Blessed Love

Give thanks for the reminder sistren, Ini cant forget.
African youths need to stop walking around with Guevera tshirts and know their own real freedom fighters

Bless up, give thanks for all freedom fighters

Holy I Selassie I JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Ten Sent: 9/12/2007 5:10:15 PM

Praises I
Your thoughts are so true the youths need to know their own revolutionaries, they really need to learn. And most of those wearing Che t-shirts do it because its fashionable but they've no knowledge of Che's life and how he helped the struggle in the Congo. Its even more surprising how many youths have never heard of His Majesty. In my high school history notebook I have a paragraph on the invasion of Abyssinia - we weren't taught anything about His Majesty only that Ethiopia was never colonized and She defeated mussolini, but that was it. African history was compulsory the first two years then at O Level was World History and all we learnt was about Europe and the world. No Africa, South East Asia or South America constituted the curriculum, just Mussolini, Hitler and Churchill. At A-level the school had the right to choose the curriculum and only government schools (majority Black) offered African History. But I went to a private school (majority white) in my last years of high school and we learnt European and British history - they said it was more widely recognised for university entrance. Yeah right, it was racially motivated and a feeble attempt at maintaining white superiority. And it made Black students look down on their own history as though it wasn't good enough to be learnt.
The balance of power definitely has to change in this world, better must come.
JAH BLESS

Messenger: prophecy Sent: 9/12/2007 6:41:51 PM

yes I, don't forget Tommy Hillfiger too, a racist but many yute support him..burn fire..

Ten give thanx for the post..It amazes I how every year on 9/11 they spend a day remember lives lost, but what bout lives lost for all those who fought and itinual to fight for Freedom, Justice, and Equality..

I wrote a poem on apartheid, I hope to share it(have to look for it), in memory of Mr. Biko, I raise I fist to the sky in memory of all those heroes forgotten or never told about..I love u...lets all raise I n I fists in the sky and remember the chant "Amandla Awethu...Amandla Awethu...Amandla Awethu" til the earth vibrates beneath I n I feet......

Messenger: Jah Virgin Sent: 9/13/2007 6:54:18 PM

Give Thanks

Like the reminder that we are taugght in school the pencil will fade, so CURSEive a come to plought , the typewriter training, a come to nought,
Now I am my Fathers secretary,
like as said 1948 year a United Nations Declarations of Human rights
equally regarded to all people in every nation
of the UN
1948 Israel a chocked out as a space of herdin in them that don't have home, seen
A BLOOD RUN RED

HOLY EMMANUEL I SELASSIE I JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Jah Virgin Sent: 9/13/2007 7:15:47 PM

Give Thanks

Like the reminder that we are taugght in school the pencil will fade, so CURSEive a come to plought , the typewriter training, a come to nought,
Now I am my Fathers secretary,
like as said 1948 year a United Nations Declaration of Human Rights
equally regarded to all people in every nation
of the UN
1948 Israel a chalkked out as a space of herdin in them that don't have home, seen
A BLOOD RUN RED

HOLY EMMANUEL I SELASSIE I JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: prophecy Sent: 9/13/2007 10:42:29 PM

Blessed Heart of Love My Lord, Jah Virgin, I never see my lord on here before. If the I is new, welcome. Yes I, give thanx for the words of "R". I n I must be the ones to write for In I trinity, it is time for all truths to be told..Now and Now

HOLY EMMANUEL I SELASSIE I JAH RASTAFARI GREAT AND TERRBILE GOD SELASSIE I JAHOVIA GOD JAH RASTAFARI!!!

LOVE LOVE

Messenger: Ten Sent: 9/14/2007 8:36:05 AM

Ises
Here is a poem I read this morning and wanted to share, its by a South African faya spoken word poet called Kgafela oa Magogodi. Its from his collection Outspoken (2004) and can also be found on his CD "I Mike What I Like". It might be long, but no revolution is ever short.

beautiful ones are dying
(hymn for dumisani dlamini)
beautiful ones are dying
streets too are dead
no soul
just machinery faking heartbeat
mad engines are petrol-drunk
crush against mindless skulls
of traffic lights
and bleeding nights wipe the smile
off my poem’s face
it cracks my guts open
and out comes the gutter
i jump into the sewer
i stew up mad shit
there’ll be no vaseline and shiny bum
of a toddler poem
i swim into the muddy bottom
of the sewer
looking for an angry god
if i die there at least i fertilise electricity
of spoken word
word spoken in tongues
where beautiful ones are dying
they take a plunge into the crazy scream
of 7th street melville
marinate their souls in the sea of spiros beer
and eternal conversations
about changing this damn country
my country where you can’t get a free cigarette
they lit their fingers
cremated themselves
leaving behind the ganja ash of memory
the salt of tears for dumi
who makes a sanzalicious movie
in which the maker must die
marechera are we truly
the fiction we choose to be
or just beautiful ones dying here
we are dodging bullets
here you die for the wallet in your pocket
the muggers are up there
in suits ties and lies
rule us
chew us
floss out bits of our flesh and swallow
these sharks have no vision beyond the plate
they don’t even know who and what they ate
it’s history’s baked beans
causing a fart
in the face of the poor
a bum in the east
and a bum in the west
its g-string tearing rectum
and floods of diarrhoea drown the promised land
of nestum and syrup
killing beautiful ones dying
killing beautiful ones dying
i am jumping into the sewer
i am stewing up mad shit
in my country which refuses to take off
its clothes
and show its un-publishable (p)arts
country which pimps poetry
and the poet is a vendor machine pops only
with money
my country whose angel liver shivers from
whisky
my country which burns holes in its lungs
but won’t stop smoking
my country whose cough is full-blown laughter
beyond cure
my country which twists dreadlocks all day
and won’t go to work
my country where beautiful ones are dying
for a holy fix of bomb zol
my country which sells rainbow cunt in oxford street
and tourists cry with joy
my country of cunt and cock at ease
with disease
my country whose house is robbed
but gives diamond hugs and gold handshakes
to thieves
my country of screaming soil
beneath concrete sheets
and monstrous phallus of skyscrapers
my country’s tears screech against the tin
shack’s shackles
my country which is the thin line
between womb and tomb
my country whose smile is a hideous scar
eating up the stars
swallowing up beautiful ones
my country which breastfeeds a million
metaphors
but won’t feed a single rebellion

Messenger: Ten Sent: 9/14/2007 8:36:58 AM

Blessings
Empress Prophecy, I would to read your poetry - what's the I's myspace link?

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 9/14/2007 1:39:21 PM

Just about to sit down and watch Cry Freedom. Been a long time.
How do the i them remember it?
Hope it wont rise i temper.Dont want to go into the Sabbath with no ill feelings
Or should i save it for when the Sabbath breaks?
hmmm,

1 - 1011 - 16

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I