Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2061&start_row=11

Last King/scotland

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/11/2007 6:11:46 PM

Greetings
I watched Last King of Scotland and I thought it was a really good movie - soundtrack was great and the movie tried to show the personal side of Amin. At the end of it, I actually had respect for Amin because he had this dignity and fierceness about him, like he was a man of authority. Even though he was a dictator and many suffered under his rule, that remained distant from the film as it was the perspective of the Doctor. The cruel side of Amin was his relationship with his wife played by Kerry Washington - as you'll see and that was when things fell apart. I'm not sure how a Ugandan might respond to the movie or someone with in depth knowledge of Amin's era. I've read Abyssinian Chronicles by Moses Isegawa - an excellent book about a young boy's life during Amin's reign - it traces the history of Uganda from Obote to Amin to present day Uganda. Its a big book, but it's worth the read, hilarious and a good reflection of African reality. History books - Ali Mazrui is an excellent scholar in African affairs and he wrote Soldiers and Kinsmen in Uganda : The Making of Military Ethnocracy, also read H Kyemba A State of Blood: The Inside Story of Amin.

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/11/2007 6:18:37 PM

ten --did you see it at the movies or on dvd?

the dvd has extras that are very interesting

peace

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/11/2007 6:20:23 PM

I saw it on big screen - what extras does the dvd have?

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/11/2007 6:46:57 PM

interviews with people about him

tells how some scenes were changed from reality

if you like the movie i would get the dvd

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/11/2007 7:08:52 PM

In response to the post asking why Africans give respect to Mugabe - you can't look at him only in terms of his relationship with Mengistu. There is much he has done that many respect, but there are also violations that he is responible and many despise him. The good is that Zim was the last British colony in Africa and he helped free the country. Zim had the highest literacy rate in southern Africa for the longest time, the health and education policies of govt in the 80s were beneficial for many. The assistance Zim gave to ANC in the apartheid era is another positive thing. And he is one of the few African leaders whose had the courage to stand up to the West and tell Blair to keep out of Zim affairs "Keep your Britain and I will keep my Zimbabwe" - in Zim there's this anti-Britain song that goes 'The blair that I know is a toilet' - blair pit toilets are commonly used in the rural areas - its better heard than read. The land was the the heart of the Chimurenga struggle and it was important for the govt to address that - how many African leaders of this era have actually taken land back from white farmers to give back to the people? Look at SA, they're on the brink of a very big problem if the land access is not granted to the Black majority - constitutional rights might mean farmers are secure, but the people are not happy and things are bubbling under. In KwaZulu Natal, Mugabe is a hero because the people there want their land back and think the Mugabe method is best, but Mbeki is bound by law and his land policy is quite complicated and Land Claims Courts have a backlog of cases to get through...Back to Zim, the country is in bad shape at the moment because of Mugabe's regime, the situation is critical and whether Mengistu is in Zim is neither here nor there for the ordinary citizen, its not an issue for those that hail Mugabe or those that dislike him; its about the most pressing concerns of the day which are the basic bread n butter issues. Give Thanks.
ps I'll look out for the dvd - thanks

Messenger: prophecy Sent: 8/11/2007 11:54:52 PM

Ten give thanx for ur I-sponse, it shines light on I ignorance of him. I am just reading about him, so I apprecilove all the info, it means a lot. Honor Honor

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/12/2007 4:52:05 PM

Give Thanks Empress of the Sun, glad I could be of help - as Ras K said, its knowledge that comes from JAH.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 8/12/2007 5:13:42 PM

Sistren Ten,

first give thanks for the, idk what to call it, should i say big up? i will try not to let it go to my head lol

on a serious note though, you must know very well, that it is a very simple thing to say respect and love and reh reh reh but...well... the i knows the saying, Jah is found in the simplest of things, the i knows the saying, wisdom is found in the simplest of things. well it is true of respect as well, Respect is Given and Felt in the simplest of things so....let i ask the i this....have you ever seen I calling you Sistren T, or Sistren 10,(as i have seen someone call the I before) ?
Then you would give I the same honour that i give to the I. I know who´s example the I is following, without even realising it, and this truly hurts I to the core.
I think i have been around this forum longer than the I, if i am not mistaken. Have you noticed how Ark I still to this day refers to I by the full name I chose to be refered by, just as you have yours?

I Give humble thanks for thy listening
Jah Liveth
Rastafari

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/12/2007 5:23:49 PM

Praises I
And all this time I figured you were alright with it. Ok forgive my over-familiarity and refashioning of the man's name, but it makes it easier to write. I knw I'm not the only one whose used this shortened version, as I've seen it written so several times, but now that you've made your feelings known all concerned will be sure to adhere. I for one will be sure to type all ten (lol!) letters of the name: Ras KebreAB - there we go ; )

Messenger: prophecy Sent: 8/22/2007 2:42:22 PM

So, I finally watched this movie, well I'm really not done- I'm towards the end where they are bout to torture the doctor. I can't watch that so had to stop it, yea i'm soft wat can I say..lol..
I am not impressed with the movie at all. I do not know much bout Amin at all. I question how he is praised as the incarnation of Garvey to some Ras esp. bobo. I don't say that in disrespect, but I just want to have clearance. I have to do a lot of research about him, but I feel the movie was hollywood. I guess I expected it to be different, similiar to "Sometimes in April". I don't see anywhere in articles where they discussed the doctor. I don't care bout the doctor I want to know what he did for the country and so forth, the movie doesnt explain that really. I didn't finish watching it tho, I will finish.
Ras KebreAB what did the I think bout it, when I first mentioned this movie the I explained how the I was gonna write a comment bout it, but didn't. I would like to know what the I felt bout the movie and any clearance u may give is appreciloved.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I