Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2048&start_row=1

I and I no racial but its about the whites tv stations

1 - 9
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Selahssie i son Sent: 8/5/2007 10:20:23 PM

I and I Accept all the races of people,black,brown,white,red,yellow etc.But i think some the whites are racial by the way their media channels is set up.On their tellievision is like dem seldomly have no space on their vision media for African people,Asian people,Indian people,Chiney people,Japanies etc.Why the Europeans so racial with their tv,then they want to come call black people racial when we speak about ourstory.Dont Kill,dont steal,but they teaching the generations how to do these things hbo,cinemax,fox,stars,showtime,etc.The history channel is good but the people need the opportunity now to teach about thier ownstory rather than so one else teaching us the people story which they dont know to much about.Ourstory not his story.Cartoons have alots of crimes and violence in them from long time,thats y we stop watch them things at a early age.Too much immorality on their tellievision,Vanity of vanity illusions illusions.I and I dont really watch them tellievision but any time i look on it,a see these things,so most the times I prefer to pray read write and listen reggae.Tv reminds me that iam watching the europeans tv with all these white people on every channel.They need to show more human races on tv and give some the channels to the races for them them to show their culture too to the whole world.Here Is where the Western culture clashes with the Eastern culture,We brought our Divine Culture with us.They dont even show Haile Selahssie the elect of jah no more on their tv,some say there is too much good information about he the Might of the Trinity.We only get to see africa on bbc,Haile Selahssie even on their Dvd,Rastafari Network already link we as one from all country.Selah***ssie!

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/6/2007 6:10:48 PM

Greetings I
Give thanks for the reasoning, true its very much a white image that dominates the media. And the few diverse images that are there are hijacked into a white system or reconstructed to suit the taste of a primarily white viewing audience. So many cook shows and reality shows on British TV about going off to 'discover' India, China, South America or now that a popular singer is accepted into the white world they're not really Black anymore. Race is very much a part of power dynamics and their workings. Its so bad that even if they told our story it would be a thirty minute slot at three a.m when no one is watching anyway or it would be make the headlines as yet more violence in a 'minority area'.

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/7/2007 4:35:40 PM

who owns, who runs, and then who decides --tend to go to what they know and what they feel comfortable with.

while in zimbabwe the shows were mostly blacks. i watch B.E.T. here in the states --there are not a lot of whites or asians shown.

people tend to think of what they consider their own and since economical power was unjustly given to one group they are either intentionaly or unintentionally going to lean towards what they know.

on another post i had mentioned for things to change it will take a major net work to overcome their paradigms (white) and try to look through the eyes of many and then start to cover issues in a more diverse way.

i get a channel called LINK TV which covers a nice variety of topics and cultures

respect

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/8/2007 7:01:30 AM

Yes power dynamics depend very much on context - in this case race is very much at the core of the programmes tv networks air. Intertwined in that is the history of imperialism, cultural othering and marginalization that has to do with what is given priority over what. In Zim the single network might show pre-dominantly Black images but the workings of power in that situation are different as its got to do with a nationalist agenda that has been designed to serve the needs of a specfic ruling minority. In another setting it might be that ethnicity or class dominates what images are constructed of a certain people - but in each case bottom line is in my worlds the images the I can identify with as a Black/Zimbabwean/Dread person are not images I can readily connect with either because the image is distorted (in both nationalist and Western media contexts) or I am simply not represented.

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/8/2007 10:02:47 AM

and whether right or wrong -- you will not be represented until either one that appears to look like you gets into power or as i have said, a conscious person who is capable of stepping out of their paradigm gets into power.

for what it is worth --- i do not see i represented by the media as well --- not many white, middle aged, tatooed, scruffy faced, balding males with africa in their hearts are put up for me to see. come to think of it after describing myself, it might be best if i'm not put on tv ---lol

respect

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/8/2007 12:09:07 PM

As an aside this is the link to the Arthur Mutambara interview on BBC Hardtalk last night. Mutambara's the leader of the violent faction of the MDC opposition party. In my opinion his policies are not clear, but he talks a good one especially when he tries to get out of publicly insulting Tsvangirai and still put on a united front for 2008 elections...The jury's still out on his view no amnesty for perpertrators.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/hardtalk/6935641.stm

Messenger: prophecy Sent: 8/8/2007 12:22:51 PM

yes I, it is amazing how much subliminal messages of racism and/or stereotypes are in shows particularly childrens. They exploit afrika and portray afrikans home and abroad as ganstas, robbers, etc. I agree with the i..this is how images of a nation is formed in ur mind if ur not educated. If the only thing u see is a black person stealing, that is how u will see a black person if ur not taught the truth. The media and tel-lie-vision depict negative images of black ppl. and other non-europeans, but many do not see this. When ur itinually fed this image and know no better, then this is ur idea of that person.
Why do u feel u must justify that ur not "racial". It comes down to truth is truth. I am european/native, but I don't feel ur racial nor that u should say that. If ppl. cannot handle the truth then so be it. Reality is I n I live in a white world, but i n i children of "R" ight are not of this world.
I was told to get link tv, they show a lot of shocking truths and reality..

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/8/2007 2:47:43 PM

hey prophecy,

i get link tv through "direct Tv" i do not know if other providers carry the channel --- but it is a great channel in my opinion

Messenger: prophecy Sent: 8/8/2007 3:33:08 PM

yes i didn't read ur post til after i posted, guess i wasn't awake yet..lol..yes, I want to get it ur the 2nd person who told me about it, I wander if many don't know about it. give thanx

1 - 9

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I