Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2008&start_row=1

What happened Sister Lauryn

1 - 9
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 7/11/2007 4:55:49 PM

Laurn Hill Concert in Oakland,Calif
If anyone was ther by any chance, i would like to hear your views. from what i have read, i am very disappointed to see such a shining example to young black girls everywhere fall in such a manner.
Is it a case if an artist just being an artist?
is it an example of how Amerikkka will break you down if you stand for anything?
or is it another sad case of the "ship without a rudder"

I must admit, when i heard about this at first annd i saw the word "reggae" mentioned, i hoped the reason why the fans were mad was because her music had taken a new direction and the crowd grew hostile because they werent expecting it. but.....even i was shocked to see the pictures

This is what has been written....

“The crowd had started to turn on Hill long before she took the stage _ nearly 2 1/2 hours after the showtime printed on tickets. Even with an opener, fans were forced to endure an hour of silence. Little did they know that was going to be the highlight of the night.Once Hill finally made her appearance, fronting a solid 14-piece band that deserved far better than this, things began to quickly unravel. She opened with a jammed-out, improvised number that featured almost no real lyrics and zapped whatever little wind remained in the crowd’s sails.

The 32-year-old vocalist then turned to 1998’s landmark “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill” _ a work that, amazingly, still stands as her most recent studio effort _ for a garbled version of “Lost Ones.” Her voice was terrible, so harsh, strained and unlike what one hears on the masterful “Miseducation” CD. She also sounded like she’s out of shape, huffing and puffing like a weekend warrior after only a few songs.

But it wasn’t just her voice that was shaky. Hill stumbled about the stage and, at one point, actually fell flat on her back _ which brought into question exactly what the singer had been doing backstage during the long delay.

Of course, Hill would find that question ludicrous. She blamed her stage fall on her high heels and, later in the show, took the time to assure the crowd that she was sober…….”

according to an eyewitness source, Lauryn Hill performed at the Paramount Theater in Oakland, CA…and maybe hit rock bottom:

“Man, I went and seen Lauryn Hill last night. Broad is crazy. She had that make-up on like a bag lady, like cake face with reds and blues. She wasn’t even performing songs, she was chanting and walking around. Then the broad fell and kicked her feet up for like a minute. Never seen nothing like it. Halfway thru, the crowd started booing, then got up and started a revolt for refunds…..”

!! "I was there last night. I was there early and I stayed late with my Significant Other. We were both excited about the show because we had waited until the last minute to buy tix because we just forgot about it but remembered the night before.

We are true fans of Lauryn because of the fact that she speaks to the fans through her music and does not compromise her moral beliefs regardless of how things look.

With that said, yes, the concert was a hot mess. I did think about getting money back after song 4 and it wasn’t because of her healing or anything like that…I just felt like we were participating in a stage version of a therapy session and we were witnessing her session. The sound was horrible. There was constant feedback from the monitors (you know that screeching sound) all throughout the show.

The musicians on stage were fabulous but she did not introduce them individually as is customary for most acts and no one had a solo. Her voice was raspy and she acknowledged that. She was either tired or sick or something. Regardless, I could not get over the outfit she had on. From a distance, she looked like a circus clown. Honey blonde uncombed medium sized afro wig, black long dress, with a huge yellow jacket with black checker pattern… My heart went out to her.

I almost cried in sympathy to her when droves of fans made an exodus to the back. I felt so bad for her. I was thinking…how is this making her feel?

I wish I could say something else about all of this initial experience but I can’t. As she has to speak her truth, I must speak mine and I was sorely disappointed. Not disappointed in her stance, not disappointed in her beliefs, not disappointed in her choice to grow as an artist and try new things, but to look like a circus clown when you are a performer, fall on stage, rush through songs that people adore…if she did not want to sing those songs for whatever reason, she should have warned people and said…”Yall, this a mostly reggae or this is some edgy new stuff…if you don’t like it? but just prepare yourself.” But we got none of that. No preparation for the shock factor.

Towards the end, lots of people including myself and my S.O. moved to the front of the stage. She started jamming some old stuff. She even did an encore. In the second half she even sounded better (voice-wise). I think she should go on vacation and just be happy.

Stress does strange things to people and stars are no exception. I still love Lauryn and always will. I also believe that her true fans will continue to stick by her regardless of what might appear before us.
I just hope that her outcome is inner peace, true self-acceptance and divine harmony with her Maker and everything else will fall into its perfect place at the perfect time.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 7/11/2007 6:02:46 PM

Praises
Give thanks for the post Aya. I don't know what's going on with the sister lately but I pray JAH guide her and I hope she pulls through to reclaim her reputation as an excellent artist and faya sista! Although critics dissed the Unplugged I loved it and thought it was so deep and my own story is in her words. I saw Lauryn Hill perform in July 2005 in London and although she was an hour late, she gave a worthwhile performance. Every song she sang had her heart in it. She performed old and new tracks (Conformed to Love is a song I've been waiting for to be released) and she also did a re-make of Iron Lion Zion and with a live band it just sounded amazing. I have much faith in her, this too shall pass as the scriptures say. JAH IS.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 7/12/2007 2:47:29 PM

"We have to destroy in order to rebuild" - Rebel (B Marley)
"I had to lose myself so I could love me better" - Lose Myself
(L Hill)
Perhaps she's going through the destruction/lost phase before she can heal herself.

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 7/12/2007 4:23:13 PM

Ises

I am not uptodate on these things, but I like her old stuff. I could listen to fugees up and down. But after that, things went strange. I mean, just look at Wyclef. The people seem to have lost the focus out of their sight.
Now I see Lauryn without her Locks and talking some very strange things about Jesus Christ. Still I love her early solo things also after the fugees. But the sad story is, like with many Artists, the longer they are (or try to be) in the spotlights, the stranger they get. Need an example? Take Gregory Isaacs. Very sad.

Selah

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 7/12/2007 5:37:59 PM

On a more upful note

As i write this, it is 15 more days until JAH CURE comes home.
Is anyone else as excited as I am? The only man i have never felt shy about comparing to Nesta Marley. I pray he fulfills his potential.

Rastafari Is

Messenger: Ten Sent: 7/12/2007 6:02:49 PM

bless up I am def happy Jah Cure is to be released soon, praises for that...and yea after the fugees split Wyclef lost the revolutionary edge he had on vocab n the score and he became a 'pop star'... meanwhile just read an article where beyonce was saying she hopes she won't lose it like lauryn. i couldn't help but be annoyed, mainly bec the comment came from beyonce (in spite of their talent, i've not much love for the blinggers in the music industry) - for that reason alone lauryn beta come back as faya.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 7/12/2007 6:41:58 PM

True true

anyway what is the deal with all this black girls going blonde as soon as they get a little big

Messenger: Ten Sent: 7/21/2007 11:24:54 AM

Sabbattical Ises
I just read a story on billboard.com and this is an extract:
Pras also expressed frustration about the status of the long-awaited Fugees reunion, which seemed on track as of last fall. "We went in the studio and recorded a couple records that were incredible. But, to put it nicely, it's dead," says Pras. "Me and Clef, we on the same page, but Lauryn [Hill] is in her zone, and I'm fed up with that sh*t. Here she is, blessed with a gift, with the opportunity to rock and give and she's running on some b*llshit? I'm a fan of Lauryn's but I can't respect that."

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/3/2007 7:35:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGdQHoeg2ow
Interview afer her concert in Germany.

1 - 9

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I