Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1992&start_row=1

Question...

1 - 7
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras Natty_Lion Sent: 6/27/2007 9:02:47 PM

Greetings brethren, nice to talk with I n I again. It has been such a long time... I wanted to know what the brethren think about use of ganja when there is anecdotal evidence that HIM (as well as the rest of Ethiopian Coptic) reffered to it as 'herbal witchcraft?'

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 6/28/2007 1:42:09 AM

Sometimes anecdotal is just hearsay.

It wouldn't surprise me that many in the orthodox church might call it that.

Selassie I was never under the church.

Selassie I say,
-------------------------
And in an effort to carry out this teaching to pursue truth - to promote those bonds common to the human race - Your Excellency has dedicated your whole life. To free the human race from superstition and fear that originate from ignorance; to enable him to transcend the apparent obstacles of race and religion; and to help him recognize the blood-ties of the whole human race, Your Excellency has laboured. To this generation, so tormented between modern knowledge and ancient faith, your scrupulous studies have pointed the way by which man may be saved from traditional superstition and modern scepticism.

Were the thoughts of Plato and Socrates, the beliefs of Christianity and Judaism not harmonized with Hindu philosophy; were Yoga and its various stages not exposed to Western thought; had Western religion and philosophy not been exposed to the philosophy and religion of the East through Your Excellency's persistent endeavour, how much the poorer would human thought have been!

In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond.
-------------------------

I might be incorrect, but I think that the orthodox church doesn't quite see things the same way as Selassie I.

And does that quote sound like the words of a man that would call ganja "herbal witchcraft"

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: HIMrulesWEall Sent: 6/28/2007 1:47:38 AM

If InI Blessed Herbs were a "bad" thing.......Jah wouldnt let InI touch em, or He wouldnt have had Solomon mention InI herbs in Psalm 104.

Jah Guidance and Itectin all the while. Bless.

RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ten Sent: 6/28/2007 4:42:14 AM

And if it was "herbal wickedness" why would Sellasie I have honoured the Rastafarians by giving them Shashemane as a place to settle? And what about HIS trip to Jamaica where reporters asked HIM of how HE felt about all of these dreadlocked, ganja puffing Rastas hailing HIM as King and Lord - might He not have said something? And HIS relationship with Bob Marley why send HIM the Lion of Judah ring as a token of friendship if HIS Majesty abhorred the very practice central to Marley's spiritual philosophy?

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/28/2007 5:24:42 AM

And why did Ithiopian priests teach i how to use ganja in meditation and prayer???

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 6/28/2007 1:19:30 PM

Give Thanks Ras Kebre AB...

For sharing that bit of personal history. If the I would elaborate on the context of that situation, as well as any information on Ganja practices within Ethiopian Orthodox culture, I would be very appreciative.

SELAM

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 6/29/2007 10:24:48 AM

Ises

Yes, Ras Kebre once posted an interesting part of a book concerning Herbs in ithiopia. Maybe the I post it again.

Selah

1 - 7

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I