Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1977&start_row=1

Shottas

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 29
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 6/24/2007 1:21:55 PM

Ises Royal Sons and Dawtas

Anybody seen that movie?
First of all, when it comes to movies, to me they are like books. And reading books is never a bad thing. So you will see me watching movies from time to time. As His Majesty liked even the Hollywood filmindustry. Of course there are good ones and bad ones, but that's like books too.

So did anybody see Shottas? And did you like it?
In general, what do the I them think about these Rasta-jamaican movies? I guess all know movies like The Harder They Come, Rockerz or Countryman. Did you like these ones? Do you think Shottas is stepping in that legacy? Or do you think that can't be compared?

And what about the movie itself?

Let me express one thought about all these movies.
The thing I don't overstand is how these Rasta (take for ex. Kymani, and Spragga too, but I'm not sure if he already sighted it back then) actors think, just because now that they are actors they can play ANY CHARACTER? This I don't get.
Immediatly when you wear the dread covenant for His Majesty, you represent Rastafari 24/7. no compromise!

At least this is how I see it. I as a Ras could never play a guy who is doing things that I condemn. Like for example drinking alcohol. Of course even if it's not real alcohol in that glass or bottle in that movie, I man could never represent such a thing.
Like you know Anthony B's music video where he's drinking champagne and smoking a thick cigarre? No matter if that was real (and I really do hope that it wasn't!) I could never represent such an image.

The life for a Ras in Miami is hard and brutal anyway, why exagerating with all this blood and hard drugs and things like that?

Don't get me wrong. When I saw that movie I liked it. Think what you want about that, but I liked it. But there are two things which went wrong.

Spragga and Kymani should have acted and behaved as Rasses. Meaning no alcohol, no drugs and so on.
Second thing is the unnecessary brutality. I don't speak about Rasta shall not carry a gun to defend himself, we all know about HIM using guns in the war. But I mean the really unnecessary scenes.

The thing I liked was the Idea of the rich and wealthy Rastaman. You know just the coolness to show these guys there above that they do not have any privilege to a good life. And if they don't wanna give it to you, you just take it. Take what rightfully belongs to you. His Majesty set an example living in a palace. We must get up and show babylon that we take what we want as Kings Iyah. Babylon is serving us well and get us rich, like Moses when he went out of Egypt. This is how the game must run. That is what we do in Ithiopia. It is not sufficient to just be able to survive the next day (of course this must be the first objective), but we must build the nation full of kings and queens living in RIGHTEOUS wealth.... all of us.

And to me, I got a bit of this impression watching the movie. You know it was not against government and police that they fought which we do on the legal level as I n I is well educated. (Just take the case with the london temple a while ago, yes "Rasta beat Babylon" for real!) But in the movie this was the gangsta scene and this was tuff as anybody in the US knows.
Fighting the bad guys them is an honorable job and deserves the bad guy's money as wages, as I would say. militant. a robin hood style my Lord.

I was just curious how the I them think about this movie.

Haile I Alem
Selah

Messenger: Ten Sent: 6/24/2007 7:16:58 PM

Give Thanks I n I May JAH Be Praised
Yes I have watched the movie Shottas. I though it was way too violent for I, but to a degree I suppose that reflects reality. But regarding Spragga and Kymani's roles well I you have to seperate the people from the characters. Those characters are not Rastas, unless the script said so, but they are dreadlocked characers whereas Stephen and Kymani are their own pple with their own pvt lives.
They played badd man for reasons I can only guess. I know it might be said you choose your roles and what film you'd want to act in, therefore as Rassies ones and ones hould be principled in what they choose. But that only leads to putting Rastas on a pedestal and when they fall its difficult to get over that. We also can't make rules of how people should behave, people will do as they please and if its the lure of money and fame over principle then sometimes that's what happens in this world. I didn't feel they were positive role models, but for reasonings sake it might be that their names carry weight and by placing them in those roles the movie had more appeal which meant higher ratings, more publicity. In that way more people are reached and others would also learn of the pitfalls of gangster living, but I am not sure how many youths wld walk away with this thought cos the bling images of a 'cool' life were more overt than the conscious msg a movie like this might've given.
I do feel though that people do have a social responsibility, rasta or not, in the movies, music, books, art they choose to portray. Their work has an impact on society and its important that remains at the fore of one's mind. Give Thanks.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/24/2007 10:09:18 PM

Is Kymani really a rastafari? just wondering. I have heard ones right here complain of artista like Sizzla wearing suits,which i fail to overstand, but when i see ras with tattoos, idk. Still i dont know the man so....
But, yes i have seen the movie, and i dont have any excuses for a Ras doing such roles. Although this has nothing to do with Rastafari, long time i go i heard that Will Smiths first role in a movie was playing a gay person, i stil havent recovered any respect for him since then.
lol dont even mention that video by Anthony B, makes I shudder just thinking of it
As far as i am concerned, when it comes to Rasta influenced movies, Rockers is still IT.
Concerning Kymani, at least he did redeem himself a little better on One Love, much better.

If you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything.

On a slighly different subject, i have a question for the i dem.
Although i didnt want to say anything at the time when i first heard about it. I am speaking of the Miss Universe contestant, Zarah Redwood. Is it just I, or did it strike anyone else as being a little bit hypocritical that Rasta has been aganst such parading of the Female form in public for so long, and yet when a Rastafari daughter wins, everybody is suddenly on board with it?
Would like to hear especially the sistrens view about this

Sis, Ten, humbly speaking, i dont mean to split hairs, but i really dont like the word "rassies", lol, is that something that the I hears usually where the i stays or do the I just like the sound of it? Ofcourse i know the I doesnt say it in any disrespectful way, but to tell you the truth, if i heard a non Rastafari say that, i would have taken it as disrespectful, just wondered

Give thanks
Love and Ises
Rastafari Is

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/24/2007 10:26:08 PM

Just so you know, before any of the i dem start arguing abbout tattoos, i am sure there are many rastas who do have them. However, it is one thing,if you have been trodding a different life and you have tattoos, and then you begin to sight Rastafari, and you start trodding a higher trod. i can overstand that. But when you already know Rastafari livity, and you go out and get a tattoo, i do have a problem with that, that reeks of vanity to I

InI a Nazarene, seen
Leviticus 19:28
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD, Holy I Selassi I Jah Rastafri

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 6/25/2007 4:29:25 AM

Ises Brethren

Yes Iyah, when ya watch the movie additions and interviews of the actors and director (cess silvera, who also, as far as I overstood it, says him a Ras) they say that they wanted to paint a bad picture to keep the people away from that lifestyle. But for that it's too tempting how they made it, it gives you a real good feeling from time to time... I don't think it will prevent anybody from that lifestyle, but more the other way round.
So from that point of view it's quite understandable again. if they REALLY wanted to show that dirty picture to free the youths from that lifestyle, it would be even a very noble thing that these Rasses sacraficed their good name for that. But it just doesn't seem like that.

I think for them it was just fun to be portrayed in this pimp style. Coz it was surely not for the money, as cess silvera had no money to pay them, and the dvd doesn't sell that good as it is the most bootleged movie in JA biz ever. As far as I heard.

As the I speak about Sizzla in Suits.
This is the future Iyah! So long we looked for HIM and still complain about Rasses wearing suits? What did HIM wear all life long? Of course he promoted cultural dress when he was on traditional occasions. But Iyah, the King set an example for a long time now. There are guys who think suit and tie is bad, and still I n I want to be represented in UN and AU?!
The first example we see of His Majesty on ANY picture is well dressed suit and tie thing. This is not that he or we need that like the babylonian bloodsuckers. Make sure the things you posess will not posess you one day. We don't need that to define I n Iselves. But THIS is how we must be represented in this Iwah.
If you want to wear sandals you come 2000 years too late. This is the KING's time, and we have to represent that.
When we go to Ithiopia Meles Zenawi must tremble Iyah! Because of I n I representation of HIM. Nobody today will have respect if you aint well dressed. HIM knew that and was best dressed statesman a couple of times.

About the tatoos. I have a brethren who lived with original native people before turning to rastafari. from that time he has still selfmade traditional tatoos. But now he would never again do that. As the I said well right, I n I personal decision as Nazarene can't go along with that. But I leave all judgement.

I am not uptodate about this miss Jamaica thing. I didn't know that she won, but yes I heard a Rasta sistren was in that. And now she won? And now all the bad tongues now praise her? Funny. From the start I had nothing against that. I saw a picture of this Sistren and she was just so beautiful. I hope she got the chance to represent natural beauty without cheap selling out (as I said I don't know how this beauty competitions are running).
I n I have to shine a light, and I hope this sistren was shining a light of natural womanhood and natural beauty. But I don't know about that.

Ises, I have to get my ride now., bless
Selah

Messenger: Ten Sent: 6/25/2007 5:43:58 AM

Blessings
For your sake I won't use the term, it was our adaptation from Ras with my sisters in Cape Town, but I'll be mindful of the I :). I've read alot of negative responses toward Zahra on other websites, Rasta sisters and brothers chanting her for taking part in 'Babylon things' and parading one's body is not the way Rasta dawtas must behave. I feeling is that its great she won, in that role she's an international amabassador for her nation and can do much good. Modelling offers alot of opportunities to young girls (Rasta or not) especially those coming from poverty - Alek Wek, Olwuchi, Nombulelo, Lenah Zinyama are all African girls whose lives changed through modelling and beauty pageants such as Face of Africa. I know the industry is also plagued with alot of problems and Zahra will probably face alot of moral dilemmas in that role when she is required to represent something she does not support - but let that be her judgement. She is in a position to where she has the power to choose and the JAH in her shall be her guide.
...Shottas - how Rasta is Spragga cos I've seen videos of this man doing things I wouldn't say were Rasta - and this is even after the man said he was now Rasta.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 6/25/2007 6:04:32 AM

It depends on the tattoo, mainly in Polynesian cultures tattoos are traditional symbols and in other African cultures like in Mozambique, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Nigeria and Ghana there are all kinds of markings in the body to symbolise certain things such as initiation into manhood or womanhood or they're a symbol of beauty. So for I, I wouldn't be opposed to all markings on the body. Even fashion tattoos might be of sentimental or cultural value to someone but I know the Nazarite law says not to mark the body. But how far do we take this? In different contexts it has to be adapted. I'm not supporting tattoos for fashionable image, but as people living in this time, in this world, tattoos are also a part of our modern culture.

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 6/25/2007 8:43:57 AM

Blessed heart of love RasTa family!

Good morning (well, in GMT time) in this beginning strong! Hail I-Majesty to the East in all comings and goings. Holy Emmanuel I Selassie I. Jah. Ras TafarI!

Hope the Sabbath was a blessed one, a chance to clear the ivels and regain the productive equilibrium. All praises to I Zion Throne! Selah.

Yeah. I've watched Shottas. I wouldn't put it anywhere near the Rockers or Countryman levels. I don't think it is in that league. And I guess, neither was it meant it to be. The Rockers and Harder They Come movies are amazing film spectacles, a RasTa-centric cultural analysis of the socio-political environment of the post-"independent" Jamaican state within which RasTafari was taking hold among young black African youth in Jamaica. These films managed to be dialogues from one RasTa heart to another, not seeking to communicate with, nor please or appeal to a "wider market". I think this is what preserved their success, and they've made it into the retro hall of fame, internationally.

Shotters is also a cool movie, which also sets out to explore the life of the young Jamaican "immigrant" in Miami, but it could be anywhere; New York, London... wherever. Along the lines of the retro tradition, it is more of a conversation between the people to whom the closer details of the movie relates to. And similar to the Jimmy Cliff character in "Harder They..." the film explores how good guys can turn "bad" (in a way). So, I think it is cool that the Idren felt compelled to explore the topic of the Yardie "shotta" abroad. Because for a majority of young Jamaican men living internationally, this is a stereotype that follows them whether they fit it or not. So, I think it is good that the film explores it, and that is the obligation of film & theatre, and actors, to stage and explore social ideals and stereotypes for a better overstanding. But like someone said, this might not be what is achieved, the youths just see some nice locs, and pimp style and find this something to aspire to.

I do love movies too. I really see them like books too. And in that sense, all movies are good movies to me... cos I always see something to learn in them. Stage portrayals of anything, are always telling us something about the machinations of situation.

Have the I them watched Sankofa, with Mutabaruka? Yo!! That is my MOVIE! I love it.

Re: the Rasta beauty queen. Bwoy... I gotta say... mi fiyah bun dat STRAIGHT throughout. I don't business. I'm sure she is a lovely person, and she is beautiful, her locs are beautiful. Wonderful. Er... BUT! First, if she is a RasTa Empress, there has to be the real question of why her locs was flowing, with her parading up and down a stage in swim wear, dinner wear, all these different sections of the competition. The dress she was wearing to receive her crown, was split from the bust to her belly button!!! Now, can somebody pinch me... or did I wake up in a parallel universe.

Did she wear any gorgeous couture dress creations in Aso Oke or Kente material? With a magnificent head tie to match? Er. No she didn't. I agree firmly with all the peeps on this board that say, InI represent Haile I Selassie I first, at the least he was best dressed straight through. So, InI must be well groomed. There is a difference between vanity and grooming. And there is a difference between being decked out as an African Queen, and wearing a glittery canary yellow belly button dress and prancing up and down on a stage (see auction block) flashing locs in a bikini. Woi!

They say she did it to win a scholarship to further her studies. Alrighty, cool. No one can judge the individual. But InI should turn a blind eye. All these sistrin saying, "yes! Now natural RasTa woman beauty is now acceptable in the mainstream, this is better for our societal acceptance, and youths will not feel a way to be RasTa and still be beautiful" blah blah. One bag of folly that! Straight. It's pure confusion.

Who said InI RasTa daughters need "acceptance" or sanction from Babylon on our natural beauty? We are assured that there is no improvement on nature. So all of InI look the best that we can ever look. And we thank King Ras Tafari for that, and it's only HIM acceptance I need.

And I think any notions of the "positive" effects modelling is having for the handful of African women it is plucking out of obscurity is quite naive and is basically wishful thinking. Giving a few Africans big dollar contracts in exchange for selling out their own people (whether it is physically, in land resource, or in ideals) ain't nothing new under the sun. It's a tried and tested method. Models are human shelves displaying products. And that's about it. In this age of consumerism... you work it out!! What good are these African models to anybody who needs them? Exactly what good opportunities are we really talking about?

If they wanna do it, let them do it. Of course. But that is not something for RasTa to endorse.

I think some of I-womban need to read up on some bell Hooks if anyone is unclear about the structuralisation of the objectification and exoticisation of black femininity that has been perpetuated since even before the Venus Hottentot (c. 1810), and the damaging effects it has had on InI Mothers of this Earth. This is not something to be underestimated, and I won't shrug my shoulders about it.

In this thorough historical context, it is very troubling to InI to see Jamaica crown a RasTa princess winner of a beauty pangeant. It is a very troubling sign of times to come for InI.

And worse, to see nuff RasTa Empress breathe a sigh of relief and start endorsing that... nuff ones and ones shall turn to salt. InI are not to turn back and seek to be one leg in and one leg out. That's dead livity.

Oh... and I don't agree with tatoos either! Teehee. Not after we make our covenant.

And regarding the variety of African tribal markings, many of these practices were brought about in response to the mass rape of the continent through slavery. Many West African tribes designated markings for their kindred groups, so that if they were ever taken away into slavery, there was a better possibility of their identification and retrieval.

InI must READ! There are structuralised, purposeful, and strategic reasons for everything. It is the job of bright Ingels in this Iwah to inform Iselves thoroughly of the details and the history of everything we are dealing with. Again, this is a revolutionary trod. We must gain the most full overstanding of the mechanics of the system we are dealing with, and overcoming.

Ok! *BREATHE! LOL.

Hope all are well, and the I them families.

Blessed Love.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 6/25/2007 9:38:26 AM

Just a question, if the sister were dressed as a Swazi maiden topless, adorned in traditional beads, a grass skirt as they do during the reed dance would you be as vehemently opposed to her exposing her body?...
The ethos of competitions like Face of Africa is very different, they look for African beauties from under-priviliged backgrounds. These girls are picked from the streets - extremely callous people would say this is headhunting no diff from the enslaved past, but honestly its not, the intentions and motives of this contest are completely different. For girls like Nombulelo who grew up in Khayelitsha, SA and from a poor very home, Lenah Zinyama or Olwuchi whose single mothers worked as maids, winning a modelling contract definitely changed their lives. Its one thing to talk when you are in a position of power to determine your own life, but when you've struggled with poverty all your life and things change for you, you've gotta give thanks for that. Its how you choose to live your life given that change, Alek Wek regularly goes home and gives back to charity foundations in Somalia. The positions of Saartje Baartman and Zahra Redwood are hardly the same, but in age where the black female body is continually portrayed as sexual exotic form it is problematic as you've cited bell hooks and there's also Hortense Spillers on the African-American maternal body as an enslaved body Paul Gilroy writes on the black male body in hip hop.
...And not all markings were in response to the slave trade, I was speaking of what the Shangani, Tonga and Chewa peoples of Mozambique and Zimbabwe do or the Maoris of New Zealand - each of these tribes have practices where specific parts of the body are marked as a cultural symbol. For example the Shanganis have three markings made a with a sharp object on the chest when a baby is born to symbolise life. The Chewa women pierce their upper and lower lip and put a tong through as a mark of beauty. The Wodaabe in Southern Niger men paint their faces with red ochre as a sign of beauty during the geerewol festival. Body art is an important part of African rituals and across the continent you will find it is an expression of life.

Messenger: EMPRESSCRYSTAL Sent: 6/25/2007 10:06:22 AM

first and formost give thanks and praises to the most high second i say i saw shottas and i say it is violent but it is reality you have some youths these days with no one to guide them you must remember in the movie non them kids had momma or dadda was just living and doing what they thought was reality now when we talk about movies some of it is not reality but shottas u must overstand that some of them struggle like you see kymani marley how in his character that he tells his friends we should slow our road and be easy but life sinks them in showing them otherwise. So as the character kinda not wanting to do it but have to do it is one thing and to see kymani in this film was actually something we all can learn meaning look at the children in the ghetto some of them must luve this way day bye day so in reality i think the movie was just explaining how children get mis lead and have no correct guidance. In america now you have some children doing the same exact thing these young men went through.to me it is just a movie to show us all that this is what is real here in babylon and how these youths try to find themselves but it is hard for them because they might not know where to begin and that is all they know how to survive here in babylon. That is all i have to say on my opinion. Give thanks and praises I ONE LOVE JAH GUIDE MY SISTRENS AN BREDRENS.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 29

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I