Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1945&start_row=31

Still Looking ----yes

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: still looking Sent: 6/19/2007 7:33:03 AM

Respect ark,

wow--said from the heart and i will try i best to explain to I.

first however it seems as if sis irijah may overstand some things similar to I ----that doesn't make either one of us right or wrong, but just an observation.

now let i address a couple of your issues/concerns/questions:

first:
"Let I ask you something still looking, did those christians that brutalized the people in africa, europe, americas, asia, australia act by the example of Jesus Christ?"

absolutley not. which i think this will clear up some confusion that people have with I. people here think i have something against the bible--this is incorrect if they mean it as a "whole". I do not believe in the existence of jesus christ--however i do believe in the message of the words associated to him in the bible. which is basically--love,compassion, do unto others ect....

i do have a problem with the vengeful god in the bible. the one that flooded the earth and turned someone into salt. it actually seems as if jesus was the opposite of god----you might say it is a lesson of how many times the child rejects the parents ways.

i also do not believe the reality that is attributed to many of the events such as virgin births, walking on water, being turned into salt and the list could go on.

but again, i absolutely believe in the importance of the teachings of the character jesus.

let me ask you---who would you rather have a neighbor who believes in jesus christ and god but does not live the message (example--george bush) or someone that does not believe like the dalia lama?

a quick second point,

"Faith is a hard thing for people to Iverstand, but those that Iverstand it see what comes from Faith. They never needed proof for their Faith, but the results of their Faith shows proof upon proof, so with all that I and I see, it is impossible to doubt again."

I have complete "faith" in me---i know that without a shred of doubt that my life will be alright. i have proof in i life and what i have been through that i will overcome any shituation that occurs--and it is also impossible for me to doubt.

so you see--a belief in god or jesus is not required to have "faith"

next; your discussion on my comparison to jesus.

i only made a comparison to one aspect of jesus---speaking out

a man is walking down the street and i comment --"hey look he is balding just like me". that does not mean i am saying i am the same height, color, or weight.

the character jesus let his thoughts be known and it brought heat down on him----i let my thoughts be known and it brought heat down on me----that is all ---one simple area in which i made a comparison.

and if this was 2000 years ago or if i was in the wrong area, someone might wish to get physical with I.

i can't remeber his name but the author of "satanic verses" experienced the jesus lesson of what happens when you speak out against a popular view.

next:

"You tell us to feel free and you talk like you are a person who has no problem with people who speak/share/argue/and question anything that you say. But then you act as if we are doing something wrong when we do that and even compare it to crucifixion."

there is one big rule in our classroom ---discuss with respect. having a difference of opinion is not disrespectful. some (not all) have been disrespectful on this site.

i have been called some of the following---stupid,selfish,ignorant, and idiot-----show me where i have done other than share an opinion that is not popular.

if i had a student in class (and i have) that has acted in the way that some here have they would be asked to appologize and stop the behavior. if the behavior continued--they would be asked to leave and come back tomorrow and try to have a better day.

if these students are allowed to behave in such a way ---- discusssions in the classes become stagnant and these students dominate the show. other students do not feel comfortable to speak up if they feel thay are going to be yelled down. for some young kids just to answer a simple question in front of an audience is a chore--never mind trying to share a view that they may have that may not be accepted.

look--it even happened here. Yaa Asantewe had some very positive vibes to share and a few wish she had stayed, but some came down onher with what she felt was "fire" and off she went. if she was a student in my class i would have seen her close down and stay to herself.

not all of the reasoning that has been directed at i has been negative, but the name calling i could do without.

finally

"You are like a politician, playing on people's emotions, striking people subtly and then trying to make them look bad for retaliating. You probably get a lot of experience with that kind of technique with your students, you have had a lot of opportunities to see how various types of people can be influenced."

is the "politicain" tag a complement or an insult--just kidding.

you used the word "subtly". i am sorry but i do not think that many of my posts are "subtle"--- i know what i know for I and i state it.

I try to make them look bad? I do not have to try to make someone look bad that has resorted to name calling.

the experience i have gained in the classroom is how to create an atmosphere that makes students feel comfortable to express their views and ask questions.

i am not trying to influence my students as much as i am trying to challenge them to think. i tell them throughout the year---i am not here to tell you what to do---i am here to get you to think about what you choose to do.

now i don't recall this coming up but maybe it will give a better overstanding to why i teach the way i do.

I am a health teacher. we cover mental, physical, and social health with a large emphasize on mental and social. if one wishes to be healthy the ability to think and make proper decision is critical.

i don't know if this will help us, but i as well wrote my response calmly.

Respect

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 6/19/2007 7:45:46 AM

Blessed Love Sistrin,

I think I do overs the essence of the I point... I think.

It is not so much that Christianity gets blaze up in the way you are thinking it. Not like that.

Nobody refutes the essential basis of the religion, it is the refuting of the religion due to the contamination of it for InI. This is something that Christianity cannot be seperated from. Neither has any of the churches of Christianity ever publicly, or otherwise, seperated themselves, nor even "repented", from the vileness that they created and perpetuated in the name of "God".

OK. The Ethiopian church is different. It built it's religious ideals on more of the important fundamentals of actual Christ livity, than the botch job the Vatican did on it. That is true. And true His Majesty was also crowned as head of that Church for all reasons and seasons and purposes. Selah.

His Majesty is always vocal about the importance of adhering to the fundamentals of Christ livity for the reinstating of humanity. Also true. So, I do get what the I is saying about Christian influence. But HIM lineage & divinity goes beyond the book. His divinity is certain with it, or without it.

I feel that for InI Fari, trodding in this way, in this time, His Majesty's main significance is in his Ancient lineage, the most Ancient African monarchy, a reminder, a wake up call to divine African Anciency. I feel perturbed that ones feel the need to sideline that, in favour of the Bible. I think that is more troubling. That which is contained in the Bible is only more evidence.

Which is why InI do not bun the Bible, within it lies the truth.

This isn't a case of Judaism move aside for Christianity, then Christianity move aside for RasTa. Like the Beloved Sistrin stated above... it's just a whole other thing. Put it this way... Ras Ta was moved aside for Judaism and the rest of it... but we forward again to place foundations for the theocratic rule that must reinstate according to prophecy & history!!

LOL!

What a real joy to love Ras Tafari though... right? Gotta love it, big time!

Messenger: Sis Irijah Sent: 6/19/2007 10:03:40 PM

ten said: (in rasponse to elder vibe)

"It was used in terms of its everyday meaning, the term can be applied in that sense as well as in terms of religious office."

Haile I Selassie I
Haile I Selassie I
Haile I Selassie I

Rastafar I has no religious office
Rastafar I nah religion
religion implies rules and writs and rites and propaganda.
religion involves walls
no wall can contain InI faith in the Most High God HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.....NO WALL

this trod here nah religion
this trod is a livity
a way of life
seen

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/19/2007 10:40:20 PM

Give thanks, sistren for upholding the Faith

Still, if i may presume to speak for I sistren, i dont think Ten meant "religious office" in the sense which you are righfuly fighting. I think she is just trying to show the difference of saying elder in the sense of say, a Rastafari Elder, or an African Tribe Elder,some one who is called an Elder in accordance to his/her age, heights of spiritual trod, wisdom of ways,his/her standing in the society etc, as opposed to saying an elder in accordance only to age, as in , my elder brother, my elder cousin etc..

Blessed Love
Good to see ones keep vigilant
Rastafari Is

Messenger: Sis Irijah Sent: 6/20/2007 6:56:15 AM

give thanks for the clarification ras K

Selassie I everytime

Messenger: still looking Sent: 6/20/2007 8:21:47 AM

respect ten,

sorry to take a little time to get back to this question(s):

"I have to ask; why the appeal of Rasta for you then if God is not real or did you discover this when you came to know more of Rasta and Africa? The way the I reasons on the term I n I is the point that for I God exists, if energy represents life, then both that life as representative of me and that energy as the force through which I exist is God. I don’t know if makes sense but that’s how I over it. True that life is unexplainable, but at the same time that is the beauty of it, and that’s a sign of the infinite power I Creator has."

as bob would say this is light as a feather and heavy as lead.

let us go through this:

first; a the end you say "that's a sign of the ....Creator has." I disagree in that I only view it as a sign of life----one thing (seperate from all of this) did not make all of this--all of this is "it".

if I ask someone to prove to me there is a god and they say "look, that tree is a sign of god" I say no that tree is a sign of life.

i think we are close on how we feel on this, it may just be a matter of semantics. but I still say no god and you say god.

Now onto the issue of my appeal to rasta. wow! great question. one that i would love to see the whole board answer. I believe how we got here is important to overstanding each other on issues. on the net there are too many assumptions to be made.

here i go and i may give you more than you bargained for, but i think it will help the I in overstanding me;

My parents were roman catholic and though they took I to church and made i pray at meals and celebrated all of the holidays I was never a roman catholic. by that i mean it never once entered my heart. even as a young one all of the group praying at church and the kneel down, sit down, stand up instructions bothered me. i remember my mother telling me on a number of occasions to stop making that "oh great i have to stand up again" look. all of my older brothers were alter boys so she made me do it ( i was probably 7 or 8) though the experiment only last a little over a month. my mother was mortified the first day i went to meet the priest and get my clothes. when i was walking towards her with the priest she heard me say to him "you know i am only doing this because my mother is making me"
as i said it didn't last long---I wouldn't memorize my lines and i couldn't/wouldn't ring that bell at the right time.

i have always thought for myself----she tried to make me a life guard when i was 14. when i asked why?, she gave me the same answer that she gave me for the alter boy thing. "Because all of you brothers did it". My mother also use to tell me "just because my friends did something did not mean i had to". to her lifeguard press I said "just because my brothers did it, shouldn't mean that i have to too". no lifeguard for me.

(trust me i'm getting to the rasta thing)
I made my complete break from the christian/catholic business as a reality when i was 12 or 13. I was in 6th grade--32 years ago and i can remember it as if it was yesterday. I was taking an elective in school--we were allowed to take one class of our choosing. I took greek and roman mythology. i always loved to watch movies or shows on that stuff. Oh--hercules awesome. something with zeus or neptune and i was glued. my favorite was Samson (maybe my first window into rasta with the hair business).

now remember I was still having to go to church and things. it was the second week in and it hit me----someone is lieing. here was this teacher talking of these ancient people's gods that they used to make sence of the world and guide them in their daily lives.he spoke of their rituals. but he talked of them as not being real---they were just "myths". but i was suppose to believe that the people standing,kneeling, sitting down on sundays were doing all of their rituals to a "real" god. why?-because they narrowed gods down to god and now it is real. either all of the godS are real or they are all myths created to teach lessons and in many cases scare the wits out of people to keep them in line with the powers to be.

you know what i think.

now the appeal to rasta. i came into contact with rasta like many in the states---through bob marley. i don't just listen to any music --99% of the time i only listen to music that has important things to say or serious stories to tell----cat stevens was the first singer that i remember being drawn to and the first albulm that i bought with my own money (around the age of 14-15) was stevie wonder's "inner visions". when i listened to marley and started to reasearch all of this business he was talking about --on freedom,equal rights and rastafari (i had nver heard of rasta before bob) it fit. It went straight to my heart. christianity was like science fiction ---rasta was speaking truths. for me it was like when you go buy a pair of pants. many people use the mirror to really decide--i go by feel---when i put on the right pair of jeans i don't need to look in the mirror----i feel them---well i felt Rasta. it was just right---it wasn't about personal salvage it was about everybodies salvage--it wasn't about doing good so you could get to some paradise or avoid some inferno it was about doing right for the sake of doing right.not one person on this planet can tell I what lays in store when I die --- so i best do right this time around. my heaven or hell are those thoughts that i carry around in i head everyday and the ones that will be there as i lie waiting for death to come. rasta didn't teach me, but it reinforced the idea that instead of kneeling down and bowing i head to commune with or feel some kind of god ---I only need to greet the people that pass me by. and it was also about africa--even as a kid growing up in white america i was drawn to africa.

now i have not addressed this, i don't believe, until now. InI have never said that i am a Rasta---others on the board have made that assumption. now that is overstandable seeing as this is a rasta site, but look closely at i name. I will probably never give I-self a title other than human. i will leave that to others. when students ask me "mr l, what are you?" they either are wondering on i's ethnic background or religion. if they want ethnic i give them human (i'm just not going to play those dividing games- i gave that up a long time ago) if they really push on that one ---I say African--and i do not mean black---i mean, man came out of africa and if one is going to ask i where i ancestors came from--than i must say africa. none of my ancestors sprung up out of the ground in england or germany or what have you--so to be sure i do not disrespect any of I roots i say african ---no apologies. If they wish to know i religons so to speak, i tell them I am many and i am none, but if they are persistent i will tell them rasta is i roots, but many things influence i such as buddhism,hinduism,athiesm,ect-----.maybe someone would like to see i as a Spiritual Athiest? if that would make them happy they may.

i refuse to be placed in a box. people want to place others in boxes for their comfort but the other person's discomfort. when we place someone in a box we can make believe that we know this, this, and this about them. people do not like knowing---that is where religions come in- it helps people "know". it also is why we are so good at streotyping--and look at all the negatives that that creates.

I was an ahtlete in high school but i never really hung out with too many athletes-- i ride a motorcycle but not once in 30 years have i ever gone on a group ride or gone to a motorcycle rally. I refuse to allow one area of my life define me.

i love rasta- i love selassie i----i love love love africa ---but i will never get so attached to something that i can not see the truth in something else----attachment begets sufferin (how many are suffering here because they are so attached to their view of rasta that they let i words anger them/)

now some may say---but you say "InI" or "jah guides" or "I hail with maximum respect" ect....yeah so? When in zimbabwe i try to use I shona (not to good however)--does that mean i am zimbabwean.
I talk of ahimsa and arjuna at times--does that mean i am hindu?
I talk of karma and suffering --am i a buddhist?

you know it all just comes down to lables again and how people wish to put others in boxes---i try i best in life not to do that---if one wishes to say they are this or that ----great--i'll take their word on it ---but what is important to I is how one acts. in a recent post towards i someone said something like, "oh i have a friend like you, a rebel" . they placed me in their "rebel" box and now they probably feel better--i'm cool with that.

i mean look how wrong we can be with our attempts to lable others.
people on this board labled me a black youth. I am 44 (unfortunately I do not think they think that is young) and i am white( i guess). one can't get more wrong than that.

does it offend those claiming to be rastas that ini use such terms?---maybe---but couldn't it also be a sign of respect?

I have been to jahmaica a couple of times and people there have said or asked I "aren't you rasta?", but i have been asked by christians after they get to know me if i am christian because they assume i am based on i actions. on one occasion i was asked if i was buddhist by a buddhist after we got to know each other. its funny--in my attempt to not be boxed in i have actually been placed in many boxes---and you know what-- i wouldn't have it any other way, because i can be at home any where.

as bob says "my home is in my head"

JAH RASTAFARI SELASSIE I
KING OF KINGS LORD OF LORDS
CONQUERING LION OF THE TRIBE
OF JUDAH

SELAH

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 6/21/2007 9:22:40 AM

I personally think that someone who has a problem with the structuralised notion of "God" as it is referred to generally in the West and so leaves a question mark over that, but has a heartical relationship with Selassie I has got a better grasp on things than people who are on about Selassie I is simply a "special King", and still cling on to a big "God" on a cloud somewhere who wrote the Bible. Especially when it's "RasTa" that hold that position.

I really do think that. Not to say I totally agree with Bro. Still, what I'm saying is I think if we were able to detail by detail thrash it out, we would have more common ground in livity than those who say "RasTa" but have footnotes about who is Haile Selassie I.

*psssst... pretend I wasn't here...

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/21/2007 10:20:23 AM

lol
what can i say

Messenger: still looking Sent: 6/21/2007 12:25:00 PM

has anyone seen YAA?

lol

Messenger: still looking Sent: 6/22/2007 2:49:28 PM

i don't know only you do
lol

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041

Return to Reasoning List