Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1939&start_row=1

2007 Singles Jah Music

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 43
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/13/2007 8:02:20 PM

Greeting I I I

I man wanted to open to this post for ones and ones to put the songs that have had the most effect yet for this year, whether its a personal effect or for the wider public.
Please limit the list to songs released this year. I hope by the end of the year, this post will full up.
No matter if dancehall, roots,one drop, steppers.....as long as it touch the heart

I will start it off

1.Baby Ask.....Sizzla
2.Chant them down....Sizzla
3.Flippin and Yappin....Ancient Monarchy aka Frisco Kid
4.Rise....Capleton
5.Old time Veteran.....Khari Kill
6.Rastafari Anthem...Alborosie
7.Never get weary yet.....Tony Rebel
8.Fly Away....Josie Mel
9.Peoples Choice....Ray Darwin
10.Cant stop Loving You Jah....Ritchie Spice

for now

Love and share
Rastafari Is

Messenger: Ras ogeto Sent: 6/14/2007 1:29:58 PM

11 Black sugar - ginger
12 love me - natty king
13 serious times - gyptian
14 ina mi chalies - richi spice
15 crying out for love - richi spice
16 Book of rules - ina circle
17 On my mind - davile
18 world is a psyco - richi spice
19 the way i am - terbulance
20 Redemption song - Bob marley
21 ganja head - terbulance

ises
Selassie I

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/15/2007 11:00:14 PM

Let i speak of music and hold i joy

Had a nice weekend the other week. I told the i dem i was going to check Kalonji´s show. Sizzla mash up the place. He had been told that he is not allowed to say anything about the gay ppl them. But the youth smart...He did his song "Nah apologise" anyway, but left the parts of the lyrics where he says "batty man" to the crowd, who were only too willing to shout it for him, As always he was in fire, effortless on stage, one second screaming as if possesed by an another worldly force, the next sweetly singing Jah Cure´s part in "Kings in this jungle"
After show, i waited to hail him while he was doing an interview but then i met an idren i had met a couple of times before, an irie and humble congo dread, who was also Sizzla´s sound engineer. As we were reasoning, came their time to move, so the i said to follow them to the hotel. There, InI sat in the room and smoked a few spliffs, kalonji finished his dinner in time for a few puffs and then he retired early to his own room. I and the idren just sat until morning, reasoning about everything, always beginning with His Majesty, we talked a lot about music, which if you get i started, i can keep talking about for days, spoke of Ithiopia and ini plans for the millenium, spoke of Africa and the things that must be done, spoke of Jamaica, the good JA and the bad JA.....well like i said ini reasoned all night, which is too much to put here, a truly blessed evening with a blessed ingel.

A priceless sight for i memory......Sizzla kalongi sitting on a hotel room bed, flipping through tv channels and coming up on an adult channel....and him turning around and saying...see how these people so rude, eee

Give thanks for the singers and players of instruments, Oh Jah
make this world of men a little more bearable
Rastafari Is

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 6/16/2007 4:55:44 AM

Ises My Lord

I am not into these jamaican bizness so I don't know what is going on in musik. To me this is just not clean enuff, when I see them with their bottles of beers and tobacco spliffs. I do not judge, it is their life, but I just keep myself out of that. I like the more real thing, you know. Not the guys who sing about His Majesty, and next line is about girls and all these things there.

So if you ask me about popular muzik, then check I n I Mighty Lockdown.

Selah

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/16/2007 6:33:21 AM

I kinda sight where the i is coming from but actually, i am a bit surprised to hear someone i thought loved hiphop like i do seak so.
I do not know what you mean by jamaican bizness...all i see is another Rasta youth doing his own best for himself,for his family, for his community, while at the same time spreading the Word in all the earth.
His shortcomings, if he has them, are his own. If i had seen something to burn out while i was there, trust i, i would have, sizzla or no sizzla.
I also do not understand what you mean by "line about girls". I do not know when it became wrong to sing about girls. I might be constantly speaking to I princess about InI King, about life and all the things InI as Rasta deal with, but i also like to give her a love song everyday. If that is i weakness, so be it. But, i cannot pretend like i dont live in this world.

Coming to InI Mighty Lockdown,, big up everytime, i man love not only what they stand for, but i love their sound too. Musically speaking, its nice to see them carrying on that sound vibe that Brand Nubian, and Black Moon and all those great artists had from them times.

But how would it be, if i just close my mind and say...i dont deal with any amerikkan bizness
or i said. i cant listen to them while they speak of InI king and then say the N word in the next line
or if i said, i cant listen to them speak of His Majesty and then in the next lines, they talk about "chicks rubbing their ##### "

I dren, You have, i think as i have, been trodding this higher trod for a long while now and perhaps InI have reached to a level where it wouldnt even matter much to ini if all this popular music disappeared tomorrow and ini are left with ini Nyabhinghi Word Sound and Power. But, i am sure that reggae music was very important to the i, as it was to i, in the developmental stages of ini irits.
So, before the i is quick to criticize the music, allow the younger ones the same opportunity to learn and grow throught the music.
I am sure that, if you used a ladder to climb up to a higher place, you wouldnt pull up the ladder after you but will leave it for those who come after you.

Blessed Love
Rastafari Is Love
Blessed Seventh Day to all
HOLY I SELASSIE I JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 6/16/2007 7:34:58 AM

Ises My Lord

Yes I love to reason with the I.

It would be too long to explain my views on the "jamaican bizness" here. But in short I say, we have to get rid of this jamaican biz and turn towards Africa-Ethiopia. We would never fly any other flag than the mighty Rainbow Circle flag of Ithiopia, we would bun to see a Ras flying stars and stripes, right? But same time this whole reggae hype scene is flying jamaican flag. What has happened? The Elders them struggling to get rid of this Island and all the atrocities that government did to them, and the youth is hailing all this jamaican sunshine tourism foolishness?
Still big up for all the Artists (also Sizzla etc) who (at least from time to time) bring the Welcome to JamROCK vibe.
I say one thing and I say this for a long time now, we have to get rid of Jamaica Egypt. As long as I n I is associated with Jamaica we will not be taken seriously, but we have to! We have to carry works in the UN and AU as ITHIOPIAN citizens! Leave back jamaica, jamaica holds us down internationally! Trod to Shashamane and see how jamaica influences are even to find there. Im asking WHAT is going on when I trod to I family in Addis and I find on a map right next to shashamane city printed: LITTLE JAMAICA. No jokebizness that!
Rasta must get rid of the mental shackles of egypt-jamaica.

And now you know why I prefer conscious HipHop for a long time now. Because to me it is just more real, because there you have the serious black struggle without any jamaican downwatering.
And I prefer to hear hiphop artists who do not sight up Rasta than having nuff youths who do not sight up Rasta too but still claim so.

And that was the reason which brought me away from jamaican muzik. It just gets me sick. You know in US progressive hiphop the people are straight. They don't claim to be Rasta if they are not, and that's fine and blessed.
You know I like things like Arrested Development or the Fugees. I do not even have a problem with Shakurs extreme lyrics, and I love him for the conscious ones. Because he does not claim to be Rasta, not to be perfect, but just on the way as a black youth struggeling to survive.

I am not against mentioning girls in lyrics, but it matters HOW you mention them. And I remember Sizzla lyrics I do not even want to repeat!

That is why to my overstanding, Sizzla and this artists are sent among the heathens. And if you want to be heard you have to tell the youths what they want to hear from time to time. And of course popular music, no matter if roots or dancehall, brought nuff people to sight RastafarI. But if you then sight His Majesty, you must grow.

I for my part want to deal with reality. And this jamaican biz is just not real to me.

Haile I
Selah

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/16/2007 10:03:46 AM

Blessed I

Ethiopia over Jamaica...i am with the i all the way

But still surprised by some of thy views
I dont know which artist you know from the ghettos of JA, who is promoting the tourism side of Jamaica. Get rid of Jamaica Egypt...no doubt...remember say, kalonji did tell you in one of his lyrics,that you wont see Bobo Hill in JA forever. and perhaps you should check the Judgement Yard videos on You Tube and see how Sizzla speaks of Jamaica and Ethiopia. But first you should draw a line between Promoting the symbol of Jamaica and what is just a natural love for the place where you were born and raised, especially such beautiful part of Jah Creation like JA.
I am very surprised i knew you loved hiphop as i do, but didnt think you would go so far as to prefer it over Reggae music
When is the last time that you heard something serious about Africa in a conscious hiphop song?
In a conscious hiphop song, how many do you hear them promoting the cities,towns,areas,boroughs,neighbourhoods,corners in Amerikkka?
As X rated as Sizzla might get sometimes, i cant say i ever heard him say anything that crosses the line over what a man and woman are supposed to do. BUt you know as well as i do of some of the sexual things that are spoken of in some so called conscious songs

And brethren, you speak of watering down? in the music biz of Amerikka...lol dont even get me started

As much as i love ini idren in Amerikka, i wont ppretend that ini have the same sxperience or struggle. Their trod is much different from I.
As much as i love to hear it, i cant relate to it in that way.
The experiences of the Youths in JA is much more closer to I experience in Africa.
When Americans speak of hunger, it is a different kind of hunger than what we in JA, Africa and any part of the thirld world know.
when the speak of poverty, it is a different poverty than what i know.

Whn Sizzla sing, "youths, stop wipe dem car glass" , i can close i eyes and see what i saw all i life in Addis Ababa. No hiphop song can reach i like that.

lol, i cant resist one more lyric from Kalonji

"Ethiopia a the First
Me burn Jamaica, a dat babylon currupt and curse.

INI hail the same Father
I wont overlook i brethrens shortcomings, neither will i overlook the the shortcomings of the baldhead them

Blessed I Love
Rastafari Is

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/16/2007 10:05:27 AM

I cant believe they really put Little Jamaica in Ithiopia
Some man deserve a fire inna dem face

Messenger: Ten Sent: 6/16/2007 10:03:49 PM

Greetings I n I,
I can't agree with what Ras K says about Sizzla and some of the XRated stuff he sings about. It doesn't sit well with I to hear him talk of women in that fashion, so what if its what happens between a man and a woman, why should the woman's body become a sexualised trope - for how many centuries has the Black woman's body been used as a hyposexualised trope for male pleasure - both Black and white imperial and cultural institutions. Look at Saartje Baartman - The Hottentot Venus who was naked paraded in a cage in France and then became a scientific object because of her physique. Or the Khoi San princess, Krotoa who was forced into alcoholism because of her marraige to a Dutchman. And it still goes on today in the lyrics where women are degraded and called all sorts and artists call that poetic licence - licence over whose body? At whose expense does Sizzla sing his Spring Break Riddim? Woman. Commercial stuff by people like 50 Cent, Lil' John, Luda, Akon (sadly in spite of his consciousness), even women do it too like Foxy Brown n Lil' Kim lyricise the Black female body into a sexual object that can sell music. The lyrics are crass and as a woman it hurts to hear yourself being spoken of in that way and I am downright tired of it. Sizzla (as much as I like his music) is no exception. Its ironic he Hails the King in one song then in another talks about all them women how them do this n that. I was quite disappointed when Sizzla took this turn - whether its the appeal of money, the popular trend or what fact is, its not right and you can't just say oh he's an example to youths - he might inspire but at the same time he has a responsibility to pass on the right kind of message - I can't chant a Bless Mama but Bed Dem Girls vibe at the same time. How will the male youths he inspires treat women, with a two-edged sword of playa n good son? And the female youths who listen to his music how do they see themselves as Empress but at the same time what - the object of man's desire and never the empowered subject of her own destiny?
For me it was nice to get away from commercial music to find conscious dancehall when I was rising and its Sizzla who really appealed to me - the way he sang about women, blackness and His Majesty really touched me. Black Woman and Child was the album I listened to all day, everyday so that has to be one of the Best Conscious Dancehall Albums of all time.
And speaking of promoting JA in lyrics - what do you make of Jamaica by Jah Cure - I love the track but in a way you could say he's promoting JA...but not in a bad tourist get on a bus and tour my island type of way

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/16/2007 11:03:13 PM

Though i sight what the i is trying to uphold, i am in disagreement over some points
The i say, "it doesnt sit well with I", and that is totally fine...there are some songs of his that i dont want or need to listen to....so be it, thats music
"so what if its what happens between a man and a woman"...i thought that was the whole point....reality a reality,,we cant speak about it? What is wrong in showing the joy of a man and a woman coming together. You know as well as i do there are plenty of songs where he talks of Man and Woman in the most high levels of Rastafari, but there is no shame in talking about Man and Woman in the levels of the world that we live in. There is no point in showing one side and hiding another. INI art no Catholix.
I for one will speak of I Black Woman in every sense of Her, Her uncomparable physical beauty and her unfathomable spirituality as the Mother of All Nations. I will speak of Her from her natural spirit of Love and Nurturing, to the natural beauty of her physique, her lips, her hips and all . I wont hide not a single part of Her, for the whole earth needs to look up to Her face
What do i care what the europeans had in mind.
Now if you talk about, Foxy Brown and Lil Kim and them, there is a real problem because there is no balance.

It is amusing to hear you ask " how do they see themselves as Empress but at the same time what - the object of man's desire and never the empowered subject of her own destiny? "
It is a bit of a confusing question ,,,, i would understand if the question was just " how do they see themselves as Empress but at the same time what - the object of man's desire "
To that question, my answer would be a definite yes
Yes, i would want i Princess to see herself as Royalty, but i dont want her to lose sight of the fact that she is indeed my desire.

And finally, i dont know why you would bring up Jah Cure when i already said "you should draw a line between Promoting the symbol of Jamaica and what is just a natural love for the place where you were born and raised, especially such beautiful part of Jah Creation like JA."

Blessed I Sistren
I will leave you with the the reminder of what i said before, that i wont overlook the shortcomings of iNi idren, but i cant dismiss all the good works of the music, because i might sometimes hear some things that are really not for I

Rastafari Is

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 43

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I