Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1842&start_row=11

Dreadlocks

1 - 1011 - 17
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: rootz Sent: 9/25/2008 11:10:33 AM

what-m deh rudebwoy?
i nd i is new ina di site still and me feelin irie fi dat. women say me new in rastafari, coupl of months of serious believing. some a dem bloodclaats out deh be hating di sistren fi following rastafari like dem tink it weh me worship tripple six. dem dunno what it mean still dem a fe seh ting rude, yuh no. anyway, di rudegyal nuh want fi have di dread dem. some rasta wan i nd i fi hav di dread dem but me know seh yuh nuh a fe hav dread fi be rasta, yuh know. comment?

Messenger: IDread Sent: 9/25/2008 1:21:38 PM

I think that JahWoek gave some solid advice to the I. My locks were done in this way and they are turning out well enough. In the beginning I used wax but I would not recommend this to the I. At first when Iman was using wax to help dread the hair I got mildew growing on the wax residue in a couple of the dreads and I had to cut it out.
Another thing the I can do to help is to make saltwater and put it into a spray bottle then spray it on your hair after you wash it. The salt gives the hair a coarser texture and helps it to dread up nice.
If the I lets nature take its course then eventually the I will end up with some nice dreads. Don't be afraid if dreads start to join up and merge, its just how it happens.
Just remember that you have to be patient. I've had my locks for almost 3 years and they still aren't completely under control. I still have loose hairs but they are beginning to join with the dreads without any help and the bits that refused to stay dreaded are dreading up naturally.

I can't say anything of Ark I's method although I'm sure it works well enough. It might even work better.

Jah Blessings Itinually

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 9/25/2008 1:26:24 PM

Salt water would be a bad choice because when it dries, the salt crystals will be in your hair and over time will cut the hair in your locks.

Sea water is good for locks, but people should make sure they properly rinse their hair with fresh water so that the salt doesn't stay.

Ark I

Itinual Praises unto Jah RasTafarI Haile Selassie I Menen I

Messenger: IDread Sent: 9/25/2008 1:32:10 PM

It seems I did forget to mention that you should wash the salt crystals out with fresh water after a while. Salt water helped my locks immensely. Thanks Ark I for correcting me.

Messenger: sista snetemba Sent: 12/9/2009 11:19:45 AM

Greetings

I started my lock from relaxed hair I spent a year and half just washing It and moisturising It only..Now I have my locks successfully

Bless

Messenger: Sol Sent: 12/21/2009 2:39:26 PM

blessed
I too am of mixed race, and my hair had always been sort of streight, but it would start to lock if the I missed with the comb for more than one day, when the I came to Jah, I decided that I wouold let Jah take control, and it has been over a year and the I has been told by many, "how did the I hair do this, it was naural way, my niece keeps asking me about my hair, so last night I told her that before man had comb and razor, and mirror, that this was the natural state of hair, befor vanity and the need to be what we thought others thought was good, this was the natural way that hair grew. I told her that it was Gods way, Jahs way, and she said it was nice to think of it that way.
blessed

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 12/21/2009 3:37:10 PM

Its been almost 16 months of no combing, and I have a bunch of dreads growing in the back and side of I head. Its really an amazing process to see the locks sprouting up. I am white, and started from completely straight short hair.

1 - 1011 - 17

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I