Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1749&start_row=21

Rastafari and Environment

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 40
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 2/15/2007 3:21:58 PM

And give thanks for the quotes

It would be great is someone could post some quotes from the Rt.Hon. Marcus Garvey concerning the same topic

Bless
Rastafari Is

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 2/15/2007 4:37:48 PM

Modernization The first Priority
Read the whole speech here

Modernization--in good measure, the utilization of experimental science and technological proficiency for economic and social development has been a growing preoccupation of Africa's people over the past 150 years, and unquestionably represents for independent Africa today her most compelling priority. Political liberty, for all its appeal, has stood second to the vision of the good life, a life of rising material prosperity. Freedom is hollow that does not bring with it the schooling and the medical services, the better roads and the new housing, the electricity, water, and sewage systems, and by no means the least, those necessary luxuries--motorbikes, cinema, radio, non-essential dress, or an evening's entertainment. Politicians who flourished by bringing their people to independence were not likely to remain long in power if they could not deliver prosperity in the wake of freedom; hence the governments of independent nations have been at once preoccupied with the problems of modernization.
Economic development for Africa, however, presents many difficulties, difficulties, which bear close relationship to the nature of the African environment. Although this environment is often and correctly described in terms Of the caprices of the weather acting on a generally barren land, it is probably the very geniality of Africa's climate, which has constituted a major impediment to progress and growth. Tropical temperatures, lacking a period of winter frost, encourage proliferation of species and heavy population expansion, but the resultant multiplicity of animal and plant life has meant an intense competition for survival and a consequent limit on the numbers and geographic concentration of any particular species. Each organism encourages in its existence a natural enemy which, flourishes by feeding on its victim but which eventually declines in numbers as the population of its prey is destroyed. In Africa, therefore, survival of species ultimately has rested upon small numbers spread over wide areas, and this limitation has applied equally to all. Thus, when man in Africa graduated from hunting and gathering to the stage of cultivation, he was compelled to practice a shifting agriculture and to be content with subsistence production in the face of voracious pests which limited his harvests while he himself continued to endure the lethal and enervating attack of tropical diseases.
During the era of colonial control, the development of modem medicine and scientific agriculture introduced for the first time the possibility of overturning this dismal balance of nature and converting crop production into a major engine for a rising standard of living. Since, throughout the world, economic growth has usually sprung from a base in agriculture, and since today nine out of ten Africans are still farm dwellers, modernization in Africa must first of all achieve a revolution in crop production. Not only is this a shorter route than industry provides toward increasing total exports and building budget surpluses, it also levels the most direct attack on the problem of unemployment while stimulating other sectors of the economy--service industries, transport, and, ultimately, manufacturing.
Realization of the prior claims of agricultural development has not escaped the economic planners either in the colonial or independent African governments, but achievement is beset with complications. Beyond the ecological balance of a tropical environment with its downward-leveling pressures, Africa suffers widely from a thin and infertile soil cover, which is alternately washed away by excessive rains and burned out by a remorseless sun. Further, though generally lacking the conservatism of the peasant with deep attachment to a particular parcel of land, the African farmer is nonetheless hampered by limitations of technique and outlook. The pressures of environment had forced him to adopt a migratory, subsistence cultivation, a system which exploits land instead of improving it, which produces for survival' but nothing more, and which emphasizes security and discourages innovation. Since production even today is linked in the main to local consumption, the concepts of a market economy, of cash crops, the accumulation of surpluses, and production specialization have grown but slowly. Furthermore, traditional patterns of land tenure have militated against the idea of private ownership, thereby inhibiting any tendencies by individual farmers to introduce physical improvements or to invest capital and labor in anticipation of a greater productivity.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/15/2007 4:46:38 PM

Nzingha, when you compared the statement you said that was similar to mine, it should not be surprising that it wasn't noticed, because it was just a small part of a reasoning that spoke mostly about other things. Although I did enjoy the reasoning

Whether or not the King James bible is very different from the original writings, I don't know because I have not read the original writings, but for the most part I agree with the general message of your reasoning.

Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa, what do you prefer as a shorter form for this name, for example if I was to pick one or two of the names.

Anyways, you said,

----------------
You spoke about the times in which HIM did all those things, and that these times are gone and different ones are here now today. But still HIM was an example, and still HIM put Ethiopia/Africa on the way to become as industrialized as any other european nations in the future.... meaning now today... so HIM must have known, that those industrial process in those days, must lead to the excessive use of these things today, nah mean?
----------------

I wonder if the US (1,614,000,000 metric tonnes in 2005) and china (1,405,000,000 metric tonnes in 2005) weren't so excessive and were only as excessive as the other countries, would we be in the bad situation that we are in now. There would be much less pollution overall if the US and China were putting out the same amount of emmissions as other countries, like maybe if they used something closer to number 10 (Italy) in the top ten polluters of 2005 which is 132,000,000 metric tonnes. Also, we have the technology today (that wasn't developed before) to significantly reduce all types of pollution from factories and other sources, so if these technologies were used by all countries or at least the worst polluters, there would be a big difference.

Of course it would be better for the environment and our health if all people stopped using any of the polluting technology we have. But go tell a farmer to stop using tractors, or tell the businesses to stop using machines to make their products, or tell people to stop using motorized vehicles. The technologies have made things so much easier for people and people will not be willing to give them up, but rather are looking for more to make things even easier.

If Selassie I set the example of refusing these technologies, it would not be an example that other countries would follow. They would just have considered Ethiopia a backwards nation and would have taken over the country and brought the technologies anyway. And since these foreigners would care even less for the Ethiopians then they do for their own people (which they don't care that much about), they would not think twice of poisoning the air, water and everything else excessively. So to go back the example of fire, if somebody gave me the choice of burning myself with fire or else they would burn me, then I would choose to burn myself so at least I can minimize the damage I do to myself.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 2/15/2007 7:24:32 PM

Give thanks Empress..a long thing to read but i will get to it, slowly but surely
Give thanks to all for the reasoinigs
I myself truly believe in the saying.. you cant stop progress, no matter what you try to do, and i believe this is true of all aspects of life, be it science,or technology, or even music...but unfortunately, what man considers to be progress isnt always progress at all.
If i can put in a few words what i have understood from the teachings and works of His Majesty is simply
Keep up or get left behind
Advance or get advanced on.....cant forget about slavery

Ark I said "But go tell a farmer to stop using tractors, or tell the businesses to stop using machines to make their products, or tell people to stop using motorized vehicles."
I would like to ask the i dem,as Rastafari idren, how much of what you personally have would you give up, How much of the "luxuries" of life could you do without.
I always think of this question when i think of Repatriation and just thought i would put it up here
I myself would like nothing more than to live my life on a small plot of land, growing my own crops, self sufficient for i self and i family. But at the same time, i can admit i love cars, i love airplanes, i think they are some of the greatest inventions of man.
Its a fine line to walk...i mean i could say i love airplanes because i can jump on one and be in Ithiopia in a few hrs. Or i could say i hate planes because they been dropping bombs on my people
So i suppose in the end it comes down to one thing. and thats the Heart of Man
I met one Ras one time who told me he believes that airplanes are the work of the devil. Ofcourse i had to remind him that King Selassie brought the first planes to Ethiopia.

Rastafari Is

Messenger: ciriefader Sent: 2/16/2007 1:29:23 AM

the point is that all these things are possible WITHOUT burning fossil fuels!!!

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 2/16/2007 10:59:43 AM

Ark I, it is really not as much about the difference between the KJV and the previous versions. There isn't much diffrence, but what diffrence there is is for the purpose of removing the femine aspect and hidding the fact that Spirit is INSIDE each and every one of us, seen. The difference is that the KJV was really the first version made for the general population, before the KJV only priests and scholars had access to the Bible. In some places it was illegal for the masses (peasants) to read the Bible. Like I said it's not about what's in the Bible, it's about what is not. The point is not what the Bible has or has not done, it's about how the elite have USED the Bible to take over the world, seen. I'm not against the Bible, I'm against the priests and missionaries who have gave people the choice between the Church and death (or destruction). Those who have a Bible in one hand and a gun (or sword) in the other. I have a family Bible from the 1800s that is on my alter and which I study and read frequently.

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 2/16/2007 2:03:52 PM

Ises Beloved

Ark I, concerning my name. Yehyah is just the amharic "translation" of Dominiq, so it is not really important which name the I calls, I will know that I am meant.

Yes I agree. But let me pick up one argument the I is using again and again. The I makes it seem (at least to I) as if HIM did all those things, risking environmental damage, because it was necessary in those times for Ethiopia to survive. To me it sounds, as if the I suggested, that if it only had depended on HIM's own choice, he would not have done all those things. You overstand what Im saying?

So let's imagine there wouldn't have existed any "group pressure"... would his majesty have still done all these things?

And last... I would like to repeat my question about how the I them think the world will look like after Babylon downstruction, concerning industrialization.

Selah

Messenger: ciriefader Sent: 2/16/2007 2:53:57 PM

i have no respect for marcus garvey and HIM anymore now i know they have encouraged the use of fossil fuels i think maybe they are good at doing what they do and this is a good thing but i'm afraid they are not the real mcoy to me anymore :(

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/16/2007 4:21:05 PM

Yehyah,

I am not saying that Selassie I was risking environmental damage. I am saying that the level of fossil fuels coming from Ethiopia then and even now are not really damaging to the environment because the Earth is able to clean itself and balance that out.

What I am also saying is that there are only a few countries that are putting out enough emmissions to cause harm. And especially there are two countries in particular that are putting out way too much emissions.

I found a report on Ethiopia's fossil carbon emmissions in 1998 and it was 1,990,000 metric tonnes, compared to US 1,614,000,000 metric tonnes. So the US produces 811 times more fossil carbon emissions than Ethiopia. Or if you want to look at the numbers a different way, if you add the emissions from Ethiopia and US together and calculate the percentage of the total emissions of each of these two countries, US produced 99.9 % and Ethiopia produced 0.1%. And if you take the percentages of the total global emissions, I already mentioned that US produces 21.2% of the world total. Ethiopia produces 0.02% of the world total.

And as I said, if one of the heathen countries took over Ethiopia, the amount of emissions from Ethiopia would be much higher.

Ciriefader,

Selassie I and Marcus Garvey are not interested in the respect of a hypocrite.

If you drive or get driven by others in a car you are polluting the environment.
If you ride on a bus, streetcar or subway you are polluting the environment.
-people imagine that they are helping the environment by using these methods of transportation, but just because you don't see the pollution in front of your eyes, doesn't mean that it is not there.
-the air, water and ground are polluted by the electrical generating stations that feed these vehicles and all the electrical things used in the infrastructure of subway systems are fed by these same polluting electrical generating stations.

If you use a computer, you are polluting the environment.
If you use any electrical device, you are polluting the environment.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: ciriefader Sent: 2/16/2007 4:25:48 PM

ark i: yes i agree
but this would not be the case if religious leaders had told us not to use fossil fuels
my computer and car will run fine of solar/wind/bio fuel

QED

now i must go before i go MAD!!

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 40

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I