Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1729&start_row=21

Jesus Christ's Role In Rastafari

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 33
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 1/31/2007 10:49:13 PM

tsk tsk tsk

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 1/31/2007 11:01:37 PM

It is infinitely easier to decide that everyone else is crazy than to admit that one is wrong. Just as it is easier to ask a question than to accept the answer, especially if it is different than ones own belief. The Christ Spirit is one of unconditional love and enlightenment. No one being can claim to be the source of all love and light. However, every being can strive for greatness. A being whose light shines brightly becomes a beacon for those wandering in darkness. When one is led to light it is easy to assume that one owes the greatness they have achived to their guide, but this is not so, one owes greatness only to God, the creator of all things.
It is foolish to believe that the light guiding you is the only light in the universe, just as it is silly to believe that there is only one way to illuminate a room. It does not honor your guide to diminish the light of others in their name, for this exclusion is not enlightenment, it is quite the opposite. Light is infinite, you cannot run out of light, you cannot use too much light, you cannot be too bright. If you wish to sit in darkness, turn off your own light, but do not go out and preach darkness.
Every true Rasta (one who is born and not made) understands how each Idren can trod a diffrent path and still arrive at the same destination.
Jesus preached illumination, he teaches his students how to shine brightly so that they may one day ascend. Jesus the Christ taught a lesson of understanding; treat others as you wish to be treated, love thy neighbor, turn the other cheek, etc. He insisted that his followers shine brightly in order to lead the lost out of the darkness by example. He never taught violence against non-believers, sinners, or even 'evil doers' and he certainly never tolerated hatred.
Haile Selassie I taught his students to follow the example of the Christ Spirit while also teaching them to be carefull of the traps of religion. HIM taught us that it is of foremost importance to be educated, to feed the hungry, clothe the naked and house the homeless. He spoke of equality for the oppressed peoples of the world and judgment for the oppressors. He spoke of empowerment for the African Diaspora and respect for the female gender.
Even so, a true Rasta understands that the Christ Spirit is just as much in the wind and trees as it is in Jesus the Christ or Haile Selassie I. It lives through people such as Bob Marley, Marcus Garvey, Rev. Dr. King, Mother Teresa, and even less obvious people like Albert Einstein. Every drop of water, ever flower, every animal, every molecule of air is full of Spirit. It cannot be contained in one being, it is a free spirit, it does as it desires to do. It is folly to limit the limitless and call it God. It may, however, make sense to limit the limitless and call it Master. But that makes you a slave to your God, not a vessel of light and love.
So while opinions are valid, the are only valid to one's self and those who share that opinion. Opinons should never be labeled as Truth. Truth is true no matter what, whether you believe in it or not it remains constant.
If you don't understand Rastafari, seek to know more, but do not reject the answers you are given because they do not fit into your system of belief. You cannot be a Rastafari if you don't believe in the fundemental understandings that make up Rastafari. Many people believe that Rastafarians are Christians who believe that HIM is the second comming of Jesus, when this idea is proven incorrect these people either insult Rastas or choose a different faith. But it does not, EVER, change who and what Rastafari IS and always has been: Spiritual people on the path to rightiousness based on the teachings of HIM, who believed in the Christ Spirit once embodied by a man called Jesus. If that is not your belief than you are simply not Rastafari, so pick another label to identify with and move on.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/31/2007 11:02:15 PM

Padok, I will answer your question after I say something regarding another reasoning in this topic.

Usually, when a Rastaman speaks against Jesus Christ, he or she is speaking against the false image of Jesus Christ that was used to downpress people.

And when I say false image, one way the image is false is that Jesus Christ wasn't a European as the paintings show, but was an African.

Another way the image is false is that the way Christianity spread and became worldwide was not the way of Christ, but was the way of murderers, thieves and downpressors who used their false image to justify their wickedness against the people, and even used their false image as a means to scare people into downpression.

Another way the image is false is that the things the Christian rulers teach are not the ways of Christ. They are a little bit of Christ teachings mixed with wickedness and lies. They are the downpressors who have taken away the key of knowledge, and enter not in themselves, and them that were entering in they hinder.

Some Rasta's who speak against Jesus Christ, will instead say Yesus Christ, or Eashua Christ. And some just say Haile Selassie I when they refer to the Man of the new testement, because Haile Selassie I is One.

I personally don't speak against Jesus Christ, Yesus Christ, Eashua Christ or other variations. I speak against the wicked. And I speak against the wicked who misrepresent His Majesty Christ Jesus Yesus Eashua RasTafarI Selassie I in the times of the new testament and now.

Now in regards to your question. If you would actually read the things said instead of barreling through with your head down, you would have seen that the answer was given to you when you first came here. But you are not interested in the answer, you are interested in causing problems here and distracting people from their purpose because you think you have the answer to the "right" way of life.

If you want to know the role of Jesus Christ, then read this quote of Haile Selassie I, RasTafarI that I already posted on the forum for you.

When He sacrificed himself at Golgotha for the atonement of our sin, He prayed with His last breath for the forgiveness of those who had tortured Him saying, 'Father, forgive them for they know not what they do'.

Shame on those of us who are Christians and do not follow the way of the Savior of the World, whose life was filled with kindness, humility, and martyrdom! If we lived by the laws he gave us and were worthy of being called Christian, peace would have reigned on this earth.

Men were supposed to be the equals of the living angels who unceasingly sang praises before the eternal God. Had this been so, peoples of the world would not have been divided along lines of enmity.

Jesus Christ shows the example of God and He is One with God. Jah RasTafarI Haile Selassie I shows the example of God and He is One with God. This is also I and I purpose, to learn of the example of God and be One.

The false leaders of the Christians imagine that Christ came to die on a cross, because they are the blind who have refused Gods way, it was not meant for them to see. So instead of realizing that the way of salvation is the example that Christ showed, and the teachings that Christ told us, they see the murder of Christ as their salvation. They relate more to the murderers of Christ than to Christ, because they are the same Pharisees.

Just as the Pharisees called the Christians blasphemers for calling Jesus Christ God. The same Pharisee "christians" of today call I and I blasphemers for praising his Majesty Haile Selassie I.

If they paid more attention to the teachings and example of Christ, they would see the true way to salvation and they would also see who Haile Selassie I is. And they would also see that they are supposed to be One with God also. Not to put Christ on an unreachable pedestal to admire, but to heed the instructions of Christ and Live the same.

But since they don't want the teachings and example of Christ, they don't see the true way, they don't see Haile Selassie I, and they are not supposed to be One with God, because they have chosen another way.

Jah RasTafarI Haile Selassie I and Jesus Christ didn't fight against the religions of the world, they just fought against wickedness and taught people the example of God.

As Haile Selassie I, Jah RasTafarI say,

No one is today so foolish as to believe that any one nation constitutes a perfect monolith of faith and ideology. Nor could anyone wish that there should be such utter vanity of thought and aspiration.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 1/31/2007 11:08:48 PM

Padok, I do not believe that there is one right religion and all the rest are wrong. This is stupid and takes people no where, oh excpet war and hatred.

So what I'm going to suggest is that before you call Rasta confused and all these other things, I think you better rethink about Christianity like I keep saying.

Why are there so many groups in Christianity?

1. Roman Catholic
2. Eastern Orthodox
3. Lutherans
4. Presbyterians
5. Anglicans
6. Baptists
7. Methodists
8. Evangelicals
9. Congregationalists
10. Nazarene Church
11. Disciples of Christ
12. Mormons of Latter-Day Saints
13. Seventh day Adventists
14. Episcapalian
15. Quakers and Friends
16. Unitarians
17. Jehovahs Witness

So it seems like you Christians are just as 'confused' and 'dilusional' as you'd claim us to be. Better get your dominos in line.

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 2/1/2007 1:55:41 AM

Messenger: Padok Sent: 2/1/2007 8:04:17 PM

I am really sorry if I offended anybody. ArkI i am sorry about the things i have said if they are ignorant. Please forgive me.
And Dreadnut I made a mistake of sounding like a jerk on my last couple of posts.

Messenger: Padok Sent: 2/1/2007 8:06:34 PM

Your right about the denominations of christianty. It is pretty messed up how everybody is divided. But I wouldn't say that they are confused they just beleive in following certain aspects of the bible. Alot of denominations are not very different besides catholicism.

Messenger: ras derek Sent: 2/8/2007 12:20:05 PM

Rastafari is for all who seek to know the I,and by the teaching of rasta I have come closer to know the words and life of his only begotton son Jesus,and it has given me a life of rightfull livin so through the ways of rasta life will become full.So I dont fill that denomination is not the answer but the word is what is most important.Much Love and Respect!Ras Derek

Messenger: Horus Sent: 2/8/2007 2:54:11 PM

Greetings,Much Love and Respect!

IandI give infinite thanks and praise for this wonderful dialogue (and I emphasize dialogue rather than the self seeking, self serving occurence refered to as debate)!
I was definitely feeling the need for the Reasoning/Vibe that has been so eloquently shared in this forum. I'm grateful the Mystic led me here, I'm grateful to all the contributors.

Blessings!

Horus

Messenger: Youthman Sent: 2/9/2007 5:43:23 AM

If I may share some of my thoughts..
Some may see me as a deceived christian but I personally look to Jesus' death and resurrection as what our salvation is based upon. To me, this seems even to be a part of Selassie I's views as he said: "When He sacrificed himself at Golgotha for the atonement of our sin".
What Ark I mentioned about people not heeding Jesus' teaching and example.. reminds me of what some people call "cheap grace".

Here are some words by Dietrich Bonhoeffer:

"That is what we mean by cheap grace, the grace which amounts to the justification of sin without the justification of the repentant sinner who departs from sin and from whom sins departs.

Cheap grace is not the kind of forgiveness of sin which frees us from the toils of sin. Cheap grace is the grace we bestow on ourselves. Cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, Communion without confession, absolution without personal confession.

Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate.

Costly grace is the treasure hidden in the field; for the sake of it a man will gladly go and sell all that he has. It is the pearl of great price to buy which the merchant will sell all his goods. It is the kingly rule of Christ, for whose sake a man will pluck out the eye which causes him to stumble, it is the call of Jesus Christ at which the disciple leaves his nets and follows him.

Costly grace is the gospel which must be sought again and again, the gift which must the asked for, the door at which a man must knock.

Such grace is costly because it calls us to follow, and it is grace because it calls us to follow Jesus Christ. It is costly because it costs a man his life, and it is grace because it gives a man the only true life. It is costly because it condemns sin, and grace because it justifies the sinner. Above all, it is costly because it cost God the life of his Son: “ye were bought at a price, and what has cost God much cannot be cheap for us. Above all, it is grace because God did not reckon his Son too dear a price to pay for our life, but delivered him up for us."
--

I read something last night which I found well-written. I encourage all to read chapter six and seven of this book.
Here is a part of the ending of chapter seven:

"We must never forget, as Jesus Himself said, that His blood was shed for the forgiveness of sins (Matt. 26:28). Our gospel, above all else, offers people forgiveness for their sins. Therefore, we should not think that mentioning humanity's sinfulness, God's wrath, or the future judgment is incompatible with preaching the gospel. Yes, God has an inheritance for those who are saved, and we can receive more from God than forgiveness. Forgiveness, however, is the starting place. Only one who is forgiven can receive God's other blessings.

Of course, there are those who only preach about humanity's sins and God's judgment, never offering anyone the solution, which is the message of Jesus' death on the cross. That, too, is a terrible extreme. We should preach a balanced gospel, emphasizing certain aspects as the Holy Spirit directs us to tailor our message to certain audiences but never completely excluding any essential element.

So here is a summary of the gospel presented in Acts:

"Jesus was a man sent by God, attested by the many miracles He performed. Yet He was condemned and crucified by evil men, but in so doing, He fulfilled the preordained plan of God, because the ancient prophets predicted His sufferings and death. After three days, He rose from the dead and was seen by many witnesses; this, too, was predicted by the prophets. Now He has commanded us to preach that men everywhere should repent, because He will one day judge every person. He is offering to all the forgiveness of their sins. So repent, believe in Him, and be baptized in His name!"

How does your gospel square up with that?"

One might ask why Jesus didn't reveal all that His death would accomplish before He died..

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 33

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I