Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1636&start_row=1

Re: Bahetawi (s)

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 160161 - 168
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: kc366 Sent: 10/5/2006 7:50:57 PM

Here is another reasoning about the monk picture Haile Selassie is still alive video - deception

Greetings Royal Ethiopians

I was told HIM was constantly surrounded by Bahetawi.

Can someone comment on the subject or provide valuable references?

Give thanks.

Most High Selassie I

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 10/6/2006 11:06:18 AM

Ises

The problem is, I do not know of a single written peace about them. So it is always a mouth to mouth thing. It is also told that HIM had Indian Sadhus in his placae amongst his Yoga teachers (who are proofed to be there). But those mystical informations are only told and retold and so on.... the only reliable source would be to go there and look for witnesses.
Fact is of course there were Behatawis, they have their place in EOChristianity, and HIM was head of this. That is why he was certainly used to Dreadlock appearance (explains the conversation with Bongo Watto)... and it is also said that Behatawi and other remote living monks use Herbs. But I do not know of any written proof. But in fact a Sistren I know has personal contact to a quite prominent Behatawi(among others)... but unfortunatly I was not yet able to get informed.

Selah

Messenger: FarI-Sight Sent: 10/8/2006 12:56:38 AM

Blessed My Lord

It seem like a interesting subject. May one give some clearance on who Behatawi is or are? And His Majesty conection with yoga?

Give thanks

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 10/9/2006 10:29:29 AM

Ises my Lord

Behatawi (I do not know the correct english transliteration) are Ethiopian Nazarites. They are no myth but fact, as far as I know they are like a kind of monks... living without possesion and wifes. But I have to admit that this is just what I heard over and over.... as there is no serious information available.

It is also well known that His Majesty brought Indian Yoga Teachers to Ethiopia (through his good relations with India). They should teach His Ministers how to live healthy and so on. As far as I know also His Majesty himself was interested in practizing yoga.

But for this also I do not know any written source. But I believe to remember His Majesty mentioned yoga in the speech to Rhadiskan... have to check this.

Selah

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 10/9/2006 2:45:58 PM

His Majesty practiced yoga everyday.

Messenger: Sahle Maryam II Sent: 10/9/2006 9:13:57 PM

Blessed Love My Lord

Recently, I met a Bredren in Toronto who mentioned he lived with them for a year or so while pilgrimage in Ethiopia. InI will contact him for a short summary.

Most High Selassie I

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 10/15/2006 11:07:30 AM

Ises

Blessed. Would be highly apreciloved. As I already mentioned, I also know a Sistren who had personal contact to them. But at the moment, Im not able to reach her.

Selah

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 11/19/2006 7:27:37 PM

Blessed I
Humbly Excuse my lateness to this topic

As the I have said already, there nothing to be found about the Bahtawi in the written records, so its hard to say exactly who and what they are unless you get a chance to sit and reason with one. But i consider it of great importance that InI as Rasta learn about the Bahtawi...and so i have always been saying thats as soon as Iman reach in Ithiopia, they are the first people i will seek out.
My earliest contact with Bahtawis was as a child when i would see them pass by. Ofcourse now i wish i could have reasoned with them but you must overstand the Bahtawi is a awsome and dreadful sight just as like the Ancients in Jamaica and kind of frightening to a child,, with their thick long locks and robes..this is not something you see everyday, even in Ithiopia.
They are Nazerites, ofcourse, and have absolutley no possesions exept the clothes on their backs and their walking sticks
They wear no shoes but trod barefoot
They rarely come into the cities but stay in the country.
The short times when they do come to the city, which is where i used to sight them, they are usually taken in into the home of any sympathetic person who will have them for the night or so. In fact i used to know an elder Rasta woman, tho not personally, who used to give them shelter regularly in Addis Ababa. Perhaps the same woman one of the idem mentioned.
Still growing up i rarely heard mention of them
Later in my childhood i started to hear of them again because of some controversy.
As i understood it at that time, It seems that the Bahtawis consider that the church of Ethiopia has been corrupted.
It was said that they used to come to the city to the most prominent churches, chanting Fire and Brimstone on this corruption, and i believe they gave special mention to the Abba, the Patriarch, who was living in a mansion while the people were starving.
After this i used to hear there were mass arrests of Bahtawis and that they couldnt almost enter the city for some time.

It will be very intersesting to I to know how much of what i used to hear as a youngster was accurate....so if any of the idem come into contact with any Idren who know more about the Bahtawi, learn as much as you can and get back to I.
I am glad this subject is back in focus in my mind..it has been laying there for a while almost forgotten. I will see what all my family contacts have to contribute to this subject

Blessings
Jah Rastafari

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 11/20/2006 9:32:32 AM

Ises

Give Thanks for the Iformation Iyah! Is a pitty that there aint no written sources... but for sure there is a ver good reason for that! This is a precious information.

Selah

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 11/20/2006 10:24:30 AM

InI have this extra large coffee-table book called "African Ark" which contains a beautiful photo of a Bahetawi monk accompanied by a brief explanation of who they are. This is where Iman first learned of the Incient Nazarites of Ithiopia.

As a Rastaman who is not content to simply unequivocally accept Rasta doctrine without serious examination and contemplation, it is refreshing to see Ethiopian Christian mystics who also do not blindly follow the Church, but rather keep true to their personal overstanding without regard for the acceptance of others.

JAH LIVE

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 160161 - 168

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I