Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1634&start_row=1

Can't I wear a tam?

1 - 1011 - 13
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: tamclutcher Sent: 10/3/2006 5:45:39 PM

greetings in H.I.M. name.

I am often asked to remove my tam when entering or inside a public place, and always in school. I know that not removing a hat in such places can be a sign of disrespect. But a tam is not a "hat," contrary to how others may dismiss it.

Not to be inconsiderate to them, but I feel I can wear it whenever I please. These rules can be argued against by citing "religious convictions." But what should I say since I&I are no religion?

tafari----guidance & protection.

Messenger: IRIE LION Sent: 10/3/2006 7:46:18 PM

WHEN I WAS CONVICTED OF POSSESION, I HAD TO GO IN THEM BABYLON COURTROOM AND PLEAD GUILTY TO THE CHARGES TO THE GRUDGE. THOUGH I KNOW IN THE SIGHT OF JAH IM INNOCENT, AND INI NO EXPECT TO BE JUSTIFIED BY THE LAWS OF MAN...IN THE COURTROOM THEY TOLD EVERYONE WHO WAS WEARING A HAT TO REMOVE IT...AND I LEFT MINE ON. WELL ITS NOT A HAT, BUT NOT A TAM EITHER, I GUESS YOU COULD SAY ITS A TAM BUT WITH A BILL ON IT LIKE A HAT, BUT INI JUST CALL IT I CROWN...ANYWAY THE OFFICER THAT WAS THERE TOLD ME TO REMOVE IT, AND I JUST SAID THAT I WEAR FOR SPIRITUAL REASONS...AND HIM SAID OK. THERE ARE MANY OTHER SPIRITUAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE WHO WEAR TURBANS AND HEADWRAPS, I REMEMBER THEM BEING ABLE TO WEAR THEM BACK WHEN I WAS IN HIGHSCHOOL. YOU DONT HAVE TO REMOVE IT...EVER...IF YOU COVER UP THE COVENANT BETWEEN THEE I AND JAH, THAT IS YOUR BUSINESS. YOU ARE FREE TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO, DONT ASK MAN WHAT YOU CAN OR CANNOT DO...LEST YOU BE LIKE A SERVANT UNTO THEM...THE ONLY IYAH SOURCE FOR THOSE QUESTIONS IS UNTO JAH, LOOK WITHIN AND ASK IF YOU SHALL OR SHALT NOT DO ONLY UNTO JAH. AND IN THIS CASE, JAH SAY IF YOU DONT WANT TO REMOVE, THEN YA DONT DO IT.

Messenger: tamclutcher Sent: 10/4/2006 1:17:10 PM

~betam amesegenallo.

Messenger: BoboShanti Sent: 10/4/2006 8:18:13 PM

BLESSED. YES I MAN CAN WEAR IT,BUT OVERSTAND THIS BREDREN.WHEN I&I PUT MY COLORS.I REPRESENT,JAH,I MYSELF,BOBO,BINGY,RASTAFARIAN.BUT BREDREN.IF YOU WEAR YOUR TAM FOR FASHION STATEMENTS,(BUT I DON'T THINK THAT IS THE CASE) THEN TAKE IT OFF,BUT IT WILL ONLY MAKE RASTA LOOK WEAK.SO KNOW THIS BREDREN EVERYTHING WE DO REFLECTS ON EACH AND EVERYONE OF US..STAY STRONG BLESSED.

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 10/4/2006 10:29:37 PM

something to tink about

Hebrew Isrealites believe it is disrespectful for sistren to have head uncovered in presence of Isrealite men

how is it that most mores of babylon seem to contradict those that are spiritually based

much strength and blessings to you and I hope you pick spiritual ova ritual

one luv

RSK

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 10/5/2006 9:29:13 AM

Love I

Selassie I always FIRST! Always TOP! Always PRIORITY. I n I won't bow to anymon else for no matter what reason! I n I is Citizen of Heavenly Ithiopia with only ONE King above I n I. So I n I Ipresent I n I God and King in all I n I do. Do it like HIM did: with respect, love, overstanding, kindness.... but NEVER BOW!
In my school EVERYONE had to remove his hats, caps etc, EXCEPT me. This was a powerful non-verbal Statement of I. Most of the time I cover up. Only once a new teacher asked all of us in the class to remove the hats... of course not excepting me... so I removed my Tam in love and kindness... because she didn't know better. But next time I showed WHO I AM even without saying a word.... I wrapped in Turban. holiness. I did not say a thing, and it was clear she would not force I to remove it (which I wouldn't have done in case of Turban!). And she didn't. Rasta overcometh. Many people just do not overstand what them doing.... so tell or show them. Israelite can't go by Heathen laws. just like that. can't stay clean by playing with pigs Iyah.

Concerning the Queens. A woman can stand alone, can decide alone. I often see Empress Menen with styled hair, earrings, fashion clothes. seen. Like I see HIM in western suit. Deepends on time and place. There's a purpose for everything. Of course Iman love to see... and am Proud to see... I n I Queens in cultural dress... Locks wrapped up. A beautiful clean sight. This is creation fashion. But I also like to see the Lions like that just the same. Always look to HIM first... second to man. Some Rasses oppose exactly certain things which him did. Selassie I First. But also Culture first!
When HIM trod in western suit... this was his real WAR suit.... his worksuit. When HIM and empress was at home inna Ithiopia culturally them showed up culturally. So I n I have to Iverstand there is a ime and place for different things.

Selah

Messenger: NESTASISTA Sent: 10/5/2006 7:10:52 PM

I remember when I n I had dreads--to remove the CROWN- felt like losing your soul-literally.

IF THE I HEART SAY DON'T REMOVE--then DON'T!

And who to say Rasta NOT "A RELIGION"?

YES IT CAN BE!

CAN WE ALL MAKE IT AS SO?

I miss the dreads--I get trapped in Babylon and all the" survival is your business-like appearance and all ratrace bloodfiyah come burn down ta ras"

NestaSista

Messenger: I'n'I mloyi Sent: 10/6/2006 6:47:43 AM

They want to get used to you and possibly corrupt you in their corrupt ways. I always wondering why should they be like that? Is it an old dogma of Roman Catholic Church? or something new to fire Rasta?
Jah Love collect Rastas together
One Love
RasTafari

Messenger: IRIE LION Sent: 10/6/2006 12:35:30 PM

THE WAY IMAN SEE THIS, IS THAT JAH CREATED MAN IN HIS OWN IMAGE...THE MAN CREATED IN JAH IMAGE SHOULD BECOME LIKE HIM. FOR THIS REASON THE DEVILS DONT WANT ANYONE IN JAH IMAGE....SO THEY INDUCE INTO SOCIETY ABOUT HAVING EVERYONE TRIMMED AND SHAVED...THEY WANT EVERYONE TO USE SHARP IMPLEMENTS TO CUT AWAY THE IMAGE OF JAH...SO THAT THEY LIVE IN FORM OF JUST MAN...IN ALL THEIR COMMERCIALS, IN THEIR ADVERTISING, THEIR PROMOTIONS, ALL INI SEE IS MAN TRIM AND SHAVED...CLEAN CUT-FROM JAH IMAGE. BUT WE RASTA IS ROYAL AND DISTINGUISHED UNTO THE BALDHEAD...THIS IS WHY WE THREAT THE PERCEPTION OF MAN AND HIS FOOLISH WAYS AND MEANS...WE WHO LIVE IN JAH IMAGE...AND SOMETIMES HAVE EYES OF FIRE JUST AS JAH. YES THE DEVILS FEAR THE RASTAMAN...

Messenger: NESTASISTA Sent: 10/8/2006 12:54:07 AM

All I know is anytime InI cyan't stand fer it anymore--me returning to In I home up on Jah Hill in JAHMAKE-A. Push down I Door and tell the freeloafin x-side" outlaws" to Move On!

Looking forward. Jah Know.

1 - 1011 - 13

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I