Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1484&start_row=1

Life or death?

1 - 10
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: JahWoek Sent: 5/30/2006 9:00:35 AM

can any fellow nazerites give I their opinion on attending funeral services...Iman recently skipped the funeral of I great-granmama and the rest of the family didnt like that...I told them that I rather remember her alive than to see her lying in a pine box..can ones and ones give I some of their input? Jah protect and guideth...
Ras Woek I
Selassie I

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 5/30/2006 11:10:10 AM

Yes Bredrin,

This is a thing Iman have thought about alot. At 41, parents and acquaintances are naturally going to start to pass during the second half of I life. Iman think InI will skip funeral rituals, avoiding the presence of a dead (human) body and choosing to remember people as living presences rather than corpses in boxes.

However, mourning is a private affair and Iman pass no judgement 'pon those who make different choices.

JAH JAH LIVE FORIVERMORE

Messenger: I Selahssie i son Sent: 5/30/2006 11:51:32 AM

Well, Life is to live knowing that u will see death when your days are fullfilled.For now it is life over death,life was given unto us,for us to see what it really worth.Life was made from the earth, so the flesh must go back into the dirt,but the spirit will dwell in Zion.Jah said "let the dead take care of the dead".When some one died i think they should burry them the same day,to put the dead body on ice until next week,it would be a waste of money.A dead box cost more than $3oo.00,and it going to the earth.Funeral sevice is like a festival,when a dead man in a church,u realise alot of people rush to see who is the box.If one of my family dead i will go but me aint want see no dead in no box,I will show raspect just how Rastafari show lazarus raspect and rise him out of death.U realise jah visited after lazarus funeral and rise de ras out a the deep sleep.Me a live how jah live me no really study de gentiles dem a they funeral.death is death,life is life,life before death so life over death. Life!

Messenger: zionI Sent: 5/30/2006 2:56:43 PM

Funerals are partly to give solace and support to those remaining.

If one goes with that intention, it is, in my view, Rastaful.

Give Thanks,

Selassie the First

Messenger: Bredda Alex Sent: 5/30/2006 6:04:00 PM

would you let your dead body get burned to ash or not? and why?

(don't know the english word for that kind of holding a funeral)

grow strong!

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 5/30/2006 10:34:31 PM

Funerals are a show of love and support for the family of the dead. It is where the community (village, if you will) gathers around the members who have had a loss in their lives. They bring food, flowers and/or money to help fill in the gap, especially if the departed is the (a) money earner of the family. People offer remeberances in tribute and celebration of the life that has ended.
Personally, I attend funreals on a scale of intimacy. The closer a person is to me the more involved I will be in the funeral. I don't go to funerals for people I won't miss in a personal way for the rest of my life and I only go to the grave sites for people I am related to, by blood or spirit.

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 5/31/2006 5:24:17 PM

Blessed love ones and ones

You know, personally, funerals are not my bizness. I neither deal with church, nor do I deal with death. But still respect that some people do. See me brethren, to say it straight, most people are living on a mental level not high as that of RastafarI. They do not have the knowledge of Upfullness, Biblical Livity, Truth and Rights. And maybe they are just not interested in it. It is not for everyone. But still they may be good people on a human level. And on the human level we are all equal. So if ya grandma's wish in lifetime was to see the grandchild giving last respect to her at the funeral, so I think the I should do. Of course it is a narrowminded mindset, in I n I view who have come to the full knowledge of LIFE. But still it maybe was a good person's wish. And for the Nazarite, Iman personally do not think that there should be a problem. It is just how you yourself can deal the thing with the "contact". Contact to me means physical contact. At a funeral Iman make sure to be far enuff away. But still I n I always feel a strong dark spirit there. It is a certain uncleanness, mentally. All this death worshipping and stuff is not good for the upfull mind. So you should concentrate on keeping your mind clean and overcome the duppies. I n I is strong enuff to face ALL evilness as I n I is a stronger spirit. JAH is I shepherd and King, of whom should I be afraid? But still there are some Idren not yet that firm in spirit, so if you do not feel too comfortable at a funeral sight, or feel that you cannot deal the feelings there, then do yaself the favor and stay away.

I myself as a younger youth skipped some funerals of relatives in order to keep up Nazarite to the fullness. And I told the people, let the dead burry the dead. But still I see that it is something human, and for those on that level, let's give some respect or a last smile.

And the question should not be life or death, but life OVER death! It is like Yeshuah who was the perfect Nazarite Iyah. He went their and touch the dead bodies and lived them up again. You know, he was the fullness of LIFE itself, no death or unclenliness can polute the stronger spirit. But it depends on how strong you are.

Selah

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/31/2006 9:53:15 PM

I would go to a funeral, I just wouldn't go near the body.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: JahWoek Sent: 6/1/2006 9:03:56 AM

give thanks...much appreciated..

Messenger: I'n'I mloyi Sent: 6/1/2006 10:11:02 AM

Life is here and will go to other heights another day, We nuh know about dem higher heights but a busy searching fi. I faced the same situation and send a post "sorry i lost my crown" lotta dem I's respond wid up raising words.
we nuh no whatta gwine happen tommorow but only praising JAH fi today. Tommorrow is Time only will tell.

1 - 10

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I