Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1324&start_row=1

commmercial

1 - 3
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: empress1 Sent: 2/7/2006 11:24:27 AM

Greetings everyone,
Its been a long time since I've been to the site, but I have a serious question. Yesterday I was watching the tube and I saw this commercial for the sour altoids. The setting was a very tribal village with of course white people with darker make-up on their face. To elaborate on how sour the altoids are the advertiser expresses that this "tribe" had a high threshhold for pain. They made the "villagers" seem brutish and plain stupid. 1. a man is cutting some bush and another passes and is hit with the cutlass and doesnt even know that he has been hit. 2. They conduct a "sacred pain ritual"; by catapulting the white man in the commercial onto a bed of rocks with a fire in the middle. 3. Similarly to traditions observed, they have in the end one of the tribal characters with a large lip piercing but with a can of altoids instead of a lip disc.
I know this is not just me taking this advertisement to heart. They were overtly trivializing and ridiculing some of the indigenous African cultures. The advertisers were making this culturally insentsitive ad in the year 2006 and adding a little bit of slap-stick comedy involving the white man to soften the real message of the commercial. I dont believe they were only trying to sell altoids they were also trying to send a bigger message. It is intolerable. Has anybody seen this commercial and what do you think?
I think the first scene is symbolic as far as the numerous ethnicities that have all been enslaved, colonized or have been the victim of geneocide. Namely because the after effects of these injustices are still quite visible and noted by the past oppressors.

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 2/7/2006 12:31:46 PM

Greetings Sistren,

I hear the I and Iman get vexed by corporate America's insidious advertising more than most. But Iman try to (1) limit my exposure (2) temper my anger beca only I feel the anger the advertisers don't and (3) Iman try hard to support conscious businesses. Also Iman think its important to keep a sense of humor.

Just wondering: if this ad had trivialized and ridiculed say a bunch of white guys wearing ties and working in cubicles and betting on sports would the I have been equally offended?

I saw a movie the other night with Bill Murray called "Broken Flowers" this is the first time I have ever seen Rasta people portrayed respectfully in a mainstream American film. There is no direct mention of Rasta at all, but central to the story is the guy's buddy next door and his family. Their house has a huge picture of HIM and the Ites, Gold & Green are all around the house and the Mama and I think some of the pickney had dreads. It was nice to see Rasta portrayed as Iman can see it in real life instead of as silly joint smokin' reggae skankin' comic relief.

Iman don't watch commercial TV, but I can overstand being disappointed by the folly of mindless soulless advertising in blind pursuit of profit, don't expect them to change anytime soon tho.

Let the dead bury the dead, InI got works to do.

Messenger: empress1 Sent: 2/9/2006 11:49:54 AM

Respect

1 - 3

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I