Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1308&start_row=1

Telling the Truth-absolute Duty?

1 - 1011 - 12
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: zionI Sent: 2/2/2006 8:15:07 PM

Greetings Idren,

Is lying justified under any circumstances?

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 2/2/2006 8:23:13 PM

NO, but I still find myself speaking "little white lies" even tho Iman try HARD to NEVER lie. Usually it's to avoid insulting or provoking someone, who really wants to say things like "yeah, I do think you're irresponsible and untrustworthy" or something like that?

Messenger: White dread Sent: 2/2/2006 8:28:28 PM

Hard question,
example 1: if your family is hiding for babylons injustice, and babylon ask you, if you know where your family is. It think it's oke to lie here..right?
Maybe an exaggerated example..but I think you got the point.
The biggest lie is to denie your beliefs, it would be a shame upon yourself, JAH and the martyrs.

One Love

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 2/2/2006 11:04:58 PM

My policy is to never lie when asked a direct question. I have been known to withold information, but rarely do I outright lie. And when I do it's because I know that the truth is more harmful than the lie.
Good question.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/2/2006 11:33:09 PM

In regards to White Dread's example, for I personally, it would depend on why the family member is hiding. For another example, if somebody wanted to hurt I family or friends I would lie if they asked I where they were.

And also I would agree with Nzingha's example, if I know that the truth is more harmful than the lie. I agree with Dread Lion's example sometimes, although I don't call them white lies, but rather small lies. The reason I say sometimes is because more often I will tell people if they deal with wickedness. I will either wait till later and pull them aside and tell them in private, or if they are too wicked, I will say it right at the moment regardless who else is around.

From my viewpoint it depends on what follows. For example, I wouldn't lie to lead somebody into wickedness. I wouldn't lie to falsely accuse somebody of something they didn't do. And I wouldn't lie to hurt somebody. And in general, I don't desire to decieve people in any way so I am usually truthful.

But as far as the question about being justified. Some extreme examples might be justified like telling a lie to protect somebody from being hurt by a wicked person. As far as other examples I think it depends on a lot of factors, so it is hard to draw a line because a lie might be justified in one circumstance, but the same lie may not be justified in another.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: zionI Sent: 2/2/2006 11:49:40 PM

InI wonder, would Selassie I lie to protect members of HIM family-or under any circumstances?

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/2/2006 11:56:48 PM

Here is a reasoning I put on the forum two years ago.

-----------------------------------------------------
Many people ask why didn't Selassie I ever tell the people that he was Jah.

Selassie I is a very discreet man. He didn't just tell anyone everything they wanted to know. He came to show I and I the way to live. He wanted to influence the world community, so that they would change their ways and deal with truth and rights. If He showed them that He was God, then they wouldn't take Him seriously, and they would disregard Him. Selassie I didn't come to miraculously fix all man's problems, He came to teach man how to fix their problems, so that they would fix them theirself, and Itinue His ways after He let them trod on their own. So He needed people to listen to His words, without giving them a reason to reject Him, like they rejected Him in the days of Christ.

Here is an example that shows how discreet Selassie I is. Some men were conspiring to take over the government after Emperor Menelik became sick and Empress Taitu was running things. These men approached RasTafarI to ask Him to join them. RasTafarI refused, He wouldn't join in their wickedness no matter what they said.

The men started to complain to others about how RasTafarI refused to join them. This word eventually got back to Empress Taitu. So she found out about their plans and how RasTafarI refused to be a part of it.

When Empress Taitu heard about my refusal to enter into the conspiracy, she told the Emperor and both were very pleased.

Autobiography of Haile Selassie I

She approached RasTafarI to tell Him that she heard that the men approached Him about their wickedness and that RasTafarI refused to join them. RasTafarI denied it and told her that nobody approached Him about the matter. She tried to press Him to get him to admit that the men approached Him. But no matter how she pressed Him, RasTafarI was firm and told her that it was not so, He said that He was never approached. She eventually accepted his answer and she told Him that she knew that He is very discreet.

Therefore she declared that she was very pleased about my not letting out the secret and told I: "I know the truth. Your refusal to let out the secret is because you are a very discreet man."

Autobiography of Haile Selassie I

So Selassie I will stand firm and never reveal things that He doesn't want to reveal. Those that know, already know, and will do his works.

RasTafarI is very discreet
-----------------------------------------------------

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 2/2/2006 11:57:14 PM

You always have the right to refuse to answer. You don't have to lie to withold information.

Messenger: Nefertiti Sent: 2/3/2006 10:30:57 AM

Blessed... TRUTH is what it is , even if one tries to lie about it.

Often people get caught in thier lies because they don't listen to the questions being asked. very important. Also many people answer according to what they have learned(ie the so called "white' lie.....)

For example, some one asks me what i think of what they are wearing, and i answer "Why do you want to know what i think? It is you, so it is important what you do and say....be happy with yourself." I don't get into flattery and flattery is a direct path to lying. Flattery from wanting to impress or downpress anyone is just a direct path to a lying tongue. ( consider when people are vexed they say a bunch of lies about the other to get even... conversely, ones say nice things in order to feed pride, are trying to get what they want...)

Truth is absolute.... TRUTH IS
Lies are words....One doesn't live a lie, he speaks lies about the life he lives.

LOOK AT POLITRICKSTERS, they don't answer questions that would ut them into a lie, they tell you the question that they want to answer.

I agree, with the empress, where does it say one has to answer all the questions anyhow? This struck me when i answer the phone and you have telemarketers calling asking personal questions. One can be polite with out answering them. It is an invasion. When I get these calls i say, "Why do you ask? It is nothing i want to discuss. I am aware of how to do such and such... if needed, so thanks for your concern, but please remove this number from your calling list."

The example of That the dread said about protecting family members....Babylon is always telling you to do something... they are not making you lie, unless you chose to or chose to answer thier questions. Remeber Babylon assumes that you lie anyhow.. so Babylon is not looking for truth, Babylon is collecting evidence, including lies, and they do this by threats to live by thier ways. Babylon NEVER is interested in anything YOU have to say about TRUTH, babylon exists to tell YOU how to behave and how to move and how to act... bumba klatt.. rasta know yourself. DON'T GET CAUGHT IN ANY LIE MOVEMENTS...BE COOL AND KEEP INI RASTA FAR I (FEARLESS) HAILE I SELASSIE I (WORD SOUND POWER)

The tongue is a tool and it must be utilized wisely.

It can be awkward to NOT answer questions even friends or family ask, however it is raspect and honor. If it is essential to know something, it comes to me(maybe i need to ask differnt questions) AND SO IT GOES THAT IT WORKS THAT WAY FOR OTHERS AS WELL. TRUTH is what i see, an aboslute. How i chose to interpret it is what can change.... henceforeth, the cultivation of lies.

Truth isn't what is told, it is what is done.....Living truth is absolute duty. Watch any vows, or I'm gonna do this or that... just do what is right, that is truth.

bless
RASTA FAR I
HAILE SELASSIE I

Messenger: Tefer_Anbesa Sent: 2/3/2006 11:28:00 AM

Let your yes be yes and your no be no. Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.

1 - 1011 - 12

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I