Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1296&start_row=11

PATOIS and RAS TAFARI

1 - 1011 - 19
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: rastaheart Sent: 3/15/2006 11:00:39 PM

I feel there is a difference between JA patois and Rastafari Iyaric.

Messenger: rastaheart Sent: 3/15/2006 11:04:03 PM

Ras B and Others, I feel it is disrespectful and a little silly to speak JA patois and not be from Jamaica. Just be yourself! Again, I also feel that there is a difference between patois and Iyaric.

Peace

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/16/2006 1:21:45 AM

rastaheart,

What do you know about Ras B that cause you to use his name?

Ras B is from Jamaica and I enjoy the language he uses here. Those that don't Iverstand have the choice to learn the language.

Revelation 22
11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

I and I words are not for all. The time for all has passed, it is Revelation time, the time of that scripture above. So those that are interested in learning will put the effort to learn the language.

In regards to changing words according to RasTafarI trod. When I and I speak I and I express ourselves on many levels. When people come to Iverstand why certain words are used, they will see the other levels being expressed and sight that more is being told then they thought before. For example, for the most part, except for maybe some times when I unintentionally use the wrong word, there is a difference when I say continue or Itinue. Itinue has no end, but continue does have an end.

Below is from a reasoning I made recently,
------------------------------------
Don't mind how people talk or write. A lot of the times that you might assume that somebody is faking it, you may be wrong. And some people may fake it, but others have learned the language through communication with Jamaicans or others. It is much easier to communicate with someone if you speak their language. Just as people going to a new country will pick up the language of the country for better communication. Or people who go to a country or region with a different accent will often times pick up the accent.

What will you say if you speak to a Jamaican that is speaking their language, will you tell them to speak your language instead? I have heard of some Americans that go to other countries as tourists and get vex with the people for not knowing how to speak English.

This is a RasTafarI site, so expect to see people speak the language that the majority of RasTafarI speak. If you don't Iverstand something you have the choice to learn. Don't expect others to change to suit you.

And by the way, the language is not broken, it is well put together.

------------------------------------

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 3/16/2006 3:25:21 AM

WORD SOUND AND POWER!

Messenger: rastaheart Sent: 3/16/2006 11:46:24 AM

Ark I and Ras B, I stand corrected. I just get tired of people faking it on the internet I guess.

Again, I aoplogize for any msiunderstandings.

Peace to All

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 3/16/2006 1:10:58 PM

ONE PERFECT LOVE

here's an excerpt from my book "Rastafarian Mysticism":

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Human intelligence is symbolistic in nature. Very few of us ever find even a brief moment of inner silence; so what is it that disallows internal quietness? The ‘noise’ that rarely ceases is language, a system of symbols so entwined in human consciousness that the relationship between consciousness and language constitutes a mystery in itself. In fact, to contemplate anything that is not currently physically stimulating the senses is to employ symbolism. Spoken language is sound symbolizing ideas and written language is glyphs, or drawn figures, representing the sounds of speech. Symbols can be simple and universal, like the solar disc, or very sophisticated and specific, like a royal insignia. The point, the line and the circle are the basic building blocks from which various alphabets are constructed and represent pre-linguistic or archetypal ideas in themselves. In its most refined form, symbolism is employed where elaborate systems of symbols are used to direct the individual inward to the realization of the Unity of All.
It is well known that in the biblical tradition Jah created the heaven and the earth by use of language, “Jah said, ‘Let there be light” (Gen. 1:3) and that the messiah, called Jesus Christ, was the ‘logos’ or Word of Jah, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Jah and the Word was Jah” (John 1:1). This connotes the mystery of the relationship between language and consciousness and indicates that the individual’s highest faculty is capable of creating its own world through the willful and imaginative use of symbolic language. Within Rastafari this Mystery is referred to by the formula “Word, Sound, Power”.
The Rastafari, originating in Anglophonic Jamaica, have always sought to stretch the limits of language because it is widely recognized that ‘The Queen’s English’ has imbedded in it a repressive vibration. For example, the words “understand”, “wisdom” and “dedication” can be perceived to contain the negative vibrations of the words “under”, “dumb” and “dead” within them. These negative vibrations serve to minimize or cancel out the power of the concept being expressed. The Rasta response to the negative influences within the Word Sound Power of the English language is to create a new form of linguistic expression, called Iyaric or Rasta speak, where the words mentioned above are transformed into “overstand”, “wisemind” and “livication”.
The most important and pervasive innovation of Rasta Iyaric is the conception and usage of the word “I”. “I” is used in place of all personal pronouns so as to remove the illusory separateness of us/them and you/me and to consciously replace it with the concept of unity. “I” is worked into everyday speech as often as possible, continually invoking the spirit of “Inity” (unity). The locution “I and I” or “InI” is used to express first the concept of ‘me and my God’ or ‘my lower self and my Higher Self’ and secondly it is used by an individual Rasta to refer to Rastafari collectively.
The musicality, the poetry, rhyme, innovation, rhythm and beauty of Iyaric within its native Jamaican patois is not easily reproduced. However, Iyaric is the language of the Rastafari and it is the responsibility of every Rasta to overstand its function and form and to use it inasmuch as their talent and natural disposition allow. Bible reading is a common practice among Rastas and it is customary to replace “the LORD” with “JAH” and to replace “me” and “us” with “InI” when reading or citing scripture.
This use of language not only provides cohesion within Rastafari and provides an effective means of communicating the Mysteries; it also actually begins the process of development within the individual by challenging one’s fundamental perception of individuality. Changing language changes thought; changing how we think changes who we are.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(The last sentence is the central point here)

LOVE AND ONLY LOVE

Messenger: ciriefader Sent: 3/21/2006 8:02:15 AM

he see 'the word' thread for the revolution of babylon speak
imagine what it was like in the beginning!!!!
just some sticks and lines!!

L=Love

u=i love you

ragabunny = unity symbol between all religions
rabbit/bunny=arabic(muslim)
rabbits ears = penguins(nuns in christian religion)
diamond = fire and rays of light = mount zion

wods at end of light
cirie/cine = lamb and 164 other things also
firie/fine = lion
aline = rainbows end
Tie/Tirie = no tears

etc

Messenger: RAS B Sent: 4/5/2006 4:47:49 AM

HOLY MOSIS I

rastaheart

I man bin lovin dis tin of di I's sightin di ada I's sillines an' disrespectfulnes. Wu a se rastaheart him smart? Di I soun' lak som
bandululised itren seen fah di I is foolish inna sightin dat patois
is fah di JA bwaan I's

Fya

Messenger: RAS B Sent: 4/5/2006 5:48:41 AM

HOLY MOSIS I

rasclotheart

Fah di I's infamatian I man is bwaan inna JA , I man hope ya be confort wehn I man pos' inna mi patois.... mi patois ya hee dat
if mi pos'ing inna patois mek di I wana puke dan feel irie fi doa
dat fah mi nani care wha di I tink or feel bout IanI patois.

Fya bun pon dem wicketman
Selah

1 - 1011 - 19

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I