Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1292&start_row=1

The Word Up on the Christ Selassie Icon

1 - 5
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 1/30/2006 3:02:15 AM

So the Pantocrator is at the St. Cathrines Church in Egypt in Siani, a chruch that was founded by Byzantine Empress Helena. It is believed that where the Church has been situated is the exact spot where Moses spoke to Jah. The Churches library has documents that date as far back as fourth century. The library 5,000 early printed texts, some 3000 manuscripts and 2000 scrolls. Its collection is considered to be second to the Vaticans stolen collection.

The Icon we looked at of Christ was found by a man named George Soteriou in 1930 and it was then studied by art historian Kurt Weitzmann in 1956. The Pantocrator Icon was first dated to sometime around 13th century, but cleaning of the work and further study apparently suggested to its researchers that the image had been painted over and earlier piece. The origin of the original Icon was redated to around the end of the sixth century which tied its existence to Byzantine Emporer Justintian I (527-565)

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 1/30/2006 10:40:05 AM

Give Thanks Iah,

Iman have been waiting for this info, what a find! Hope InI can see it face to face one day, selah.

GLORY BE UNTO THE ALMIGHTY I JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 1/30/2006 1:48:53 PM

Bless

Give Thnanks Iyah! Is this information again out of that one book where you have the picture from, or now from an independent source? And if it is another source, are you shure it is talked about the one that we mean? Because there are many different pentacrators from this Sinai Monastery, and in my researches I came across many different, but not the one that we mean.

Selah

Messenger: Tefer_Anbesa Sent: 1/30/2006 2:11:27 PM

Dread Lion, how much more excited would you be to meet God face to face one day ??? Good work Dreanut. What type of canvas is the icon painted on, goat skin, papyrus ? Is it colour in real life ? Any idea who the artist was, a nameless Byzantine monk ? Glory be to God ~ Q.H.S. Eyesus Kristos

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 1/30/2006 3:39:13 PM

Weitzman, Kurt. The Monastery of Saint Cathrine at Mount Siani: The Icons, Vol. I, Princeton University Press, 1976

This reference actually gives a good color plate displaying the Icon.

A black and white image can be found in Hans Beltings book "Likeness and Presence"

Yeah Nyah, I've never seen the image over the net either. But I have high reason to doubt that the author would try to fake it. Why? Well the author explains that he is not a Rasta. If hes not a Rasta, then he has no interests at hand that would give him the desire to "make it fit." Get what I'm saying? Hes not trying to prove a point or prove His Majestys divinity or any of those things. It would be strange if someone didn't believe in something, but try to make it sound like the truth.

Peace

1 - 5

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I