Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1178&start_row=1

"CHRISTMAS"

1 - 1011
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Sistren Mentewab Sent: 12/23/2005 9:27:42 AM

Me giv yanks to the Most High fe dis a blessed day. May you all be blessed, Rastafari!

Me just want to know if any1 knows what " CHRISTMAS" (25 December) is all about, but In'I know dat it's nah de birth of Christ.

KEDEMAWE HAILE SELASSIE, WOIZERO MENEN!

Messenger: Sis Irijah Sent: 12/23/2005 9:30:19 AM

seen sis

InI know that HIM was not born on december 25

RASTAFAR I

christmass biz just commercializm

have a blessed kwanzaa

Selassie I
Sis Irijah

Messenger: JahWoek Sent: 12/23/2005 9:56:18 AM

an older uncle of I told I that in rome..dem dont even use santa claus...dem us a image of a witch that gives children presents..sometime funny bizness is so blatant..naughty or nice...so if you dont get no presents ya must of been bad...mental warfare...can still remember the look on I mama face when she was worried she couldnt give I a "good christmas"...I refuse to get caught in the loop...I just take time to let I love ones know that I gates are always open..give thanks for there company...and rejoice in love...simple and pure...what I do all day, every day...not just once a year...Happy HolyDays...everyday....Ras Jorge..

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 12/23/2005 3:21:06 PM

InI don't know Chris or what him miss, but InI steadily giving praises Ethiopian Christ-mass.

Messenger: JahWoek Sent: 12/23/2005 6:47:22 PM

"Few people realize that the origins of a form of Christmas was pagan & celebrated in Europe long before anyone there had heard of Jesus Christ.

No one knows what day Jesus Christ was born on. From the biblical description, most historians believe that his birth probably occurred in September, approximately six months after Passover. One thing they agree on is that it is very unlikely that Jesus was born in December, since the bible records shepherds tending their sheep in the fields on that night. This is quite unlikely to have happened during a cold Judean winter. So why do we celebrate Christs birthday as Christmas, on December the 25th?

The answer lies in the pagan origins of Christmas. In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast.

In Rome, the Winter Solstice was celebrated many years before the birth of Christ. The Romans called their winter holiday Saturnalia, honoring Saturn, the God of Agriculture. In January, they observed the Kalends of January, which represented the triumph of life over death. This whole season was called Dies Natalis Invicti Solis, the Birthday of the Unconquered Sun. The festival season was marked by much merrymaking. It is in ancient Rome that the tradition of the Mummers was born. The Mummers were groups of costumed singers and dancers who traveled from house to house entertaining their neighbors. From this, the Christmas tradition of caroling was born.

In northern Europe, many other traditions that we now consider part of Christian worship were begun long before the participants had ever heard of Christ. The pagans of northern Europe celebrated the their own winter solstice, known as Yule. Yule was symbolic of the pagan Sun God, Mithras, being born, and was observed on the shortest day of the year. As the Sun God grew and matured, the days became longer and warmer. It was customary to light a candle to encourage Mithras, and the sun, to reappear next year.

Huge Yule logs were burned in honor of the sun. The word Yule itself means wheel, the wheel being a pagan symbol for the sun. Mistletoe was considered a sacred plant, and the custom of kissing under the mistletoe began as a fertility ritual. Hollyberries were thought to be a food of the gods.

The tree is the one symbol that unites almost all the northern European winter solstices. Live evergreen trees were often brought into homes during the harsh winters as a reminder to inhabitants that soon their crops would grow again. Evergreen boughs were sometimes carried as totems of good luck and were often present at weddings, representing fertility. The Druids used the tree as a religious symbol, holding their sacred ceremonies while surrounding and worshipping huge trees.

In 350, Pope Julius I declared that Christs birth would be celebrated on December 25. There is little doubt that he was trying to make it as painless as possible for pagan Romans (who remained a majority at that time) to convert to Christianity. The new religion went down a bit easier, knowing that their feasts would not be taken away from them.

Christmas (Christ-Mass) as we know it today, most historians agree, began in Germany, though Catholics and Lutherans still disagree about which church celebrated it first. The earliest record of an evergreen being decorated in a Christian celebration was in 1521 in the Alsace region of Germany. A prominent Lutheran minister of the day cried blasphemy: Better that they should look to the true tree of life, Christ.

Furthermore, why is Satan Claus focused on more than the so-called Birthday of Christ. Shouldnt Christ be the focus. The youth want to sit on Satan's (Santas) lap and ask for material than Praise the Almighty who gave them breathe. If Santa Claus knows when your are sleeping and knows when you are awake, He knows if youve been bad or good......this sounds like The Alimighty who knows all and see all things........dont let these Babylonians keep fooling you into their polytheism and pagan rituals.

THE TRUTH MAY OFFEND BUT ITS REALITY!
truth be with thee
Jah Woek

Messenger: ras shem tafari Sent: 12/24/2005 12:38:53 AM

raspect jah woek,
greetings in H.I.M. name.

The "true meaning of christmas" is a phrase often spoken and sold on cards, t-shirts, and movies---but scarcely acknowledged. In the few days before the 25th, I have yet to see any of this spirit unfold. The persistence of other traditions and material values is undeniable.

However, the Christmas season can also be an opportunity for family to come together---and for casual acquaintances and friends to greet one another with big smiles and open arms. True, Babylon's presence is strongly felt in malls and on shelves (and increasingly in the hearts of our youth), but the comfort of home overrides such. Christmas is a small time in the worst weather for people to treat their neighbors and loved ones with decency.

And although I&I know that this "holiday" is not necessary in our daily life, it should be appreciated among all. If one can celebrate the day and recognize the teachings of Christ permeating through gifts and chocolates, then His birth has been valued (no matter what the realistic date).

Perhaps the day of Epiphany (January 6), emphasized by Hispanic culture and embraced as the Ethiopian Christmas, is a more realistic treatment. The Magi, or "three kings", replace "Santa Claus" as the gift-givers; nativity and spirituality are more valued on this occasion.

In whatever snow or sun, I wish blessings upon idren. Give thanks and stay warm.

guidance & protection
ras shem tafari.

Messenger: Osiris Sent: 12/24/2005 1:04:31 AM

Merry Christmas!

May the love of the Christ(Selassie I), cover the ends of the earth in righteousness.

Messenger: RasRanga Sent: 12/24/2010 3:09:38 PM

Big op dem massives.......
Jah guide and protect, dont de fooled aya.....fire pon dem pagans...
fire burn babylon iternally...
Jah Rastafari!!

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 12/25/2010 12:24:54 AM

Blessed Sabbath Ises RASTAFARI

Messenger: Young Lion Sent: 12/25/2010 3:17:06 PM

greetings,'

in ithiopia they celebrate the saviors birthday in january 7th, its called lidet, lidet means birth of jesus christ, he was born in a stable instead of a palace, in a manger instead of a crib... Selassie I is the fulfillment of all things!

Photobucket

1 - 1011

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I