Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1093&start_row=1

Ethiopian~Anthropology

Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Tefer_Anbesa Sent: 12/4/2005 7:56:50 PM

Tena~Yestalign BeSelassie Sim. I have recently been studying an interesting book about Ethiopia. In the book the author makes mention of an indigenous group of Hebraeo Pagans called the Qemant. I am wondering if there are any Ethiopian scholars who may have heard of or know who these people are, where they came from, and what they believe in ? I remember a sistren mentioning Qemat (Egypt), which may be the root word of their name. According to the book I am reading, the Qemant are closely related to the Falashas and may have immigrated to Ethiopia from Israel (Canaan) at or around the same time as the removal of the Ark of God's Covenant from Jerusalem. The Qemant claim to trace their lineage back to the founder of their religion Anyear, the grandson of Canaan, the son of Ham, the son of Noah. Although some of their beliefs, such as their recognition of one omnipresent God, reflect their Hebraic origins there is a clearly defined line drawn in the sand between the Qemant and the Ancient Isrealights. As is evidenced by the Qemant's ritualistic worship of sacred groves and their idiosyncratic portrayal of heavenly angels that govern the cosmos. According to the Kebra Nagast the route that Menelik I travelled with the Ark took him south through the land of Egypt then south east following the ancient trade route along the Takazze river to its head waters at Lake Tana. The Falashas continue to coexist in the remote Ethiopian highlands with their neighbours the Qemant, whos numbers are rapidly dwindling due to the increasing conversion of the younger generation to the prevalent Christian faith. Please share any insights that you may have concerning these peculiar people. Igzee~Yemesgan Selam~Fiqur

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I