Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1016&start_row=1

Afro-Asiatic Family

1 - 3
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: the rock Sent: 9/15/2005 9:10:22 PM

The
Afro-Asiatic Family
of Languages

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Afro-Asiatic Family is dominated by Arabic, an important modern and classical language. It is the language of the Quran and of Islam. It is spoken in many Middle East and North African countries and studied outside that region. There are many regional variations and accents.

Arabic
The other languages in the Semitic Branch of this family are Maltese which is written in the Latin script because the Maltese are Catholic. Hebrew is another important classical language with its own script. It is the language of Judaism and of the Old Testament of the Bible. By the 1st Century BC it had become a liturgical language for Judaism. A modern form was revived and is now spoken in Israel where it is called Ivrit.

Hebrew
Amharic is the language of Ethiopia and has its own script. Tigrinya is spoken in the Horn of Africa.
Many important ancient languages belong to this branch. Akkadian (the language of the Assyrian Empire) used the Cuniform writing system to write pre-Biblical flood and creation stories. Phoenician and its closely related relatives Ugaritic (for which the alphabet was invented) and Punic (the language of Carthage). Nabatean, an ancestor of Arabic spoken in Petra. Nearby were the languages of the Amorite and Moabite people.

Syriac, a liturgical language of the early Christian church. The most interesting is Aramaic, once the administrative language of the Perisan Empire, later the language of Palestine during Roman times. It now survives in small pockets in Syria, Iraq, Turkey and Iran where it is called Assyrian.

Syriac
The Berber Branch is spoken in the hills of North Africa by the Berbers (Tuareg, Kabyle). Also in the branch was Guanch, spoken on the Canary Islands until becoming extinct in the 16th Century.
People in Ethiopia, Eritrea, Sudan and Somalia speak languages of the Cushitic Branch (Somali, Galla, Beja, Afar).

Hausa, the most important member of the Chadic Branch, is the main language of Nigeria. It was once written in the Arabic script but now uses the Latin alphabet. The Chadic Branch contains 600 languages spoken in Nigeria, Chad and Cameroon.

The Egyptian Branch contains Egyptian the language of Ancient Egypt written in hieroglyphics. Coptic, is the liturgical language of the Egyptian Coptic Church. It uses a Greek based alphabet. It is extinct as a spoken language.

Coptic
The Semitic languages have grammars based on consonant clusters.
For example, Arabic uses clusters of three consonants, called roots. For example, in Arabic, the triplet root K-T-B has to do with writing. KiTaB is book. Plurals are all irregularly formed and the usual way is to change the vowels. KuTuB is books. Other words with the KTB root have something to do with writing: KaTaBa - to write, KaTtaBa - to make someone to write (ie to teach), maKTaB - office, KaaTiB - writer, maKTaBa - library, miKTaB - typewriter, KuTuBii - bookseller, maKTuuB - fate ("that which is written"). The consonant root gives the core meaning while the vowels, suffixes and prefixes give the grammatical meaning.

An interesting example in Hebrew is the tripple root SH-B-T, which has to do with resting. One of its forms is the third person past tense of the verb, SHaBaT (he rested) which denotes the sabath on which the deity rested.

The Arabic alphabet mainly uses consonants because the reader can supply the correct vowels from the context. The first Alphabets were invented by speakers of Semitic languages and so had no vowels.

Unusually for this family, Somali has 20 separate vowel sounds. It also has four tones which indicate gender, number and case.

This language family originated in the Sahara area before it became a desert and spread to the Horn of Africa, North Africa and the Middle East. During the 7th Century AD, Arabic spread from the Arabian Peninsula with Islam to cover most of North Africa and the Middle East.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Semitic Branch
Arabic : Maltese : Hebrew : Amharic : Tigrinya : Tigre
Aramaic : Gurage : Harari : Geez
Syriac : Akkadian : Phoenician : Punic : Ugaritic
Nabatean : Amorite : Moabite
Berber Branch
Shluh : Tamazight : Riffian : Kabyle : Shawia : Tuareg
Guanch
Cushitic Branch
Somali : Galla : Sidamo : Beja : Afar : Saho
Egyptian Branch
Egyptian : Coptic
Chadic Branch
Hausa

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 9/16/2005 10:08:26 PM

How informative!

Query for the rock: you posted a pic of you among the redwoods some time ago

Is it true that the redwood is the oldest living organism?

Can you post your knowledge of such? And more on languages.

RSK

Messenger: the rock Sent: 9/16/2005 11:03:24 PM

"Is it true that the redwood is the oldest living organism?"
I found this info on the net

"To the best of my current understanding, the oldest living organism is a specimen of the Creosote-bush (Larrea tridentata in the family Zygophyllaceae). The specimen in question lives in the Mojave Desert, as I recall, and has been threatened by off-road vehicles in recent years."

Mad Sci Network General Biology
----------------------------------------
Redwood National Park
California

"Walking among giants in Redwood Forest
Stepping into a grove of coastal redwoods has been likened to entering one of the world's great cathedrals. Sure, the sense of holiness is comparable but otherwise words and man-made construction have a way of coming up, well, short. No cathedral in the world vaults 30-plus stories high, as the redwoods do, and no amount of ornate carving or stained glass windows can outdo a redwood forest for the flamboyance of the rhododendrons, ferns, creeping oxalis, mosses, and other greenery decorating its floor.
At Redwood National Park, visitors of all abilities and inclinations have a chance to meet the largest living organisms in the world firsthand. Just when you think you've seen the biggest tree you've ever laid eyes upon, an even bigger specimen will appear around the corner.

Hikers at Redwood will find trails to match their schedules and interests. Bikers can choose between paved roadway and shore-hugging dirt roads. Paddlers can sample several world-class rivers that flow just outside the park. And wildlife lovers will marvel at the variety of birds and mammals on display. Even windshield tourists will delight in roadways that make for scenic driving"

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_park/ca_redwo.htm
-----------------------------------------------------------
"And more on languages."

I was looking up the words Afro-Asiatic and have heard it in past conversation, so i looked it up.I thought it was as the Muslim saying
(Afro-Asiatic black), and it is true but also it mean a group of Languages.I want to start this post and have it grow, so that the people may see a common veiw and overstanding of the this people of the Middle East and Horn of Africa, North Africa, Bible, and of the World.I am still learning myself.

1 - 3

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I