Sūra 15: Al-Ḥijr, or The Rocky Tract
Section 1 (1-15)
1. Alif-lam-ra tilka ayatu alkitabi waqur-anin mubeenin
1. A. L. R. These are the Ayats of Revelation,- of a Qur'an that makes things clear.
2. Rubama yawaddu allatheena kafaroo law kanoo muslimeena
2. Again and again will those who disbelieve, wish that they had bowed (to Allah.s will) in Islam.
(Allah= God, especially in Islam.)
3. Tharhum ya/kuloo wayatamattaAAoo wayulhihimu al-amalu fasawfa yaAAlamoona
3. Leave them alone, to enjoy (the good things of this life) and to please themselves: let (false) hope amuse them: soon will knowledge (undeceive them).
4. Wama ahlakna min qaryatin illa walaha kitabun maAAloomun
4. Never did We destroy a population that had not a term decreed and assigned beforehand
5. Ma tasbiqu min ommatin ajalaha wama yasta/khiroona
5. Neither can a people anticipate its term, nor delay it.
6. Waqaloo ya ayyuha allathee nuzzila AAalayhi alththikru innaka lamajnoonun
6. They say: "O thou to whom the Message is being revealed! truly thou art mad (or possessed)!
7. Law ma ta/teena bialmala-ikati in kunta mina alssadiqeena
7. "Why bringest thou not angels to us if it be that thou hast the Truth?"
8. Ma nunazzilu almala-ikata illa bialhaqqi wama kanoo ithan munthareena
8. We send not the angels down except for just cause: if they came (to the ungodly), behold! no respite would they have!
9. Inna nahnu nazzalna alththikra wa-inna lahu lahafithoona
9. We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption).
10. Walaqad arsalna min qablika fee shiyaAAi al-awwaleena
10. We did send apostles before thee amongst the religious sects of old.
11. Wama ya/teehim min rasoolin illa kanoo bihi yastahzi-oona
11. But never came an apostle to them but they mocked him.
12. Kathalika naslukuhu fee quloobi almujrimeena
12. Even so do we let it creep into the hearts of the sinners -
13. La yu/minoona bihi waqad khalat sunnatu al-awwaleena
13. That they should not believe in the (Message); but the ways of the ancients have passed away.
14. Walaw fatahna AAalayhim baban mina alssama-i fathalloo feehi yaAArujoona
14. Even if We opened out to them a gate from heaven, and they were to continue (all day) ascending therein,
15. Laqaloo innama sukkirat absaruna bal nahnu qawmun mashooroona
15. They would only say: "Our eyes have been intoxicated: Nay, we have been bewitched by sorcery."