Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=855&start_row=1

head covering

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 29
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: bw Sent: 6/1/2005 2:15:16 PM

do all the sistren here cover their crown or no? if so what is your reason.

i cover my crown but i see it as submission to Jah and not just to man.

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 6/1/2005 3:49:04 PM

I do whenever in the presence of Isrealite man

RSK

Messenger: Lioness_Susan Sent: 6/1/2005 11:37:35 PM

Greetings sistren,

Yes I do cover my crown,when I'm in public, for reasons stated in 1 Corinthians11

Blessed love
Sista Susan

Messenger: Osiris Sent: 6/2/2005 1:11:18 PM

Greetings,
How does the I interpret this verse from 1 Corinthians 11:14?

"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?"

Does nature also shame the locks of the Nazarite?

Respect

Messenger: SisMenenI Sent: 6/2/2005 1:31:54 PM

Modesty, discipline, sacredness of the crown... Humility...
SistrenItes! Newsletter may be a good resource for the I to check!
Perfect Love,
Sis Kaley

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 6/2/2005 2:19:27 PM

Well what we are dealing with hear is Paul. Paul has a really bad habit of thinking he got the answer to a lot of things. But paul didn't grow up a nazarite, he grew up as a pharassee. Let paul think what he wants about men having long hair. If Selassie don't say it, if Yeshuwa don't say it then I man don't get concern. Remember, just because its in the bible doesn't mean that it is the direct and only truth.

Messenger: jahlove_72 Sent: 6/2/2005 2:59:26 PM

Greetings

Personally, I feel that I do not have any place to dictate what a woman should or shouldn't do.

As for Paul's writings, it has to be remembered that some writings attributed to Paul are not really Paul's, but later writings by the established, patriarchial, orthodox (not Orthodox the sect of Christinaity) church, thus at one time Paul says all are one in Christ, and another (not Paul's original writing) saying that women have to be quiet and keep their heads covered.

Dreadnut, I do beleieve that Paul did have a vow, but cut his hair after the vow was done. If any one can find the verse it would be appreciated.

Peace and Many Blessings
Jeff

Messenger: Osiris Sent: 6/2/2005 3:07:19 PM

Seen.
Paul might also be the one that made his women cover their heads, but is that truly a Nazarite sistren's way?
Let the I hear the sistren's words on this.

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 6/2/2005 3:46:36 PM

The teaching among Hebrew Isrealites is that Jah requires sistren thru Old Testament Laws to cover their heads in the presence of Isrealite males.

A lot of tings InI get contradictory evidence so InI mus follow I heart, and my heart says this:

I don't have to do this, but when InI do, I feel more powerful. I receive more respect, reverence, etc. among the bredren with my head covered, than I have ever felt among society with it uncovered. If this reverence and respect is a valuable characteristic that furthers the cause of Jah message reaching da people, and helping the bredren to establish a sound community, IT IS A SMALL PRICE TO PRAY

RSK

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 6/2/2005 3:50:20 PM

Well jah love you are correct about his vow, it was not of nazaritic vow though. Paul used to grow his hair and then chop it off as an offering or a sacrafice. I don't remember the verse.

I respect your opinion sistren, but also keep in mind what the attitude towards woman was in those times, objects. For some odd reason both hebrew and muslim men still carry this tradition of being higher in rank than a woman. But through the example of His Imperial Majesty and Empress Menen, we know what Jah expect from InI. There are a lot of laws of old that were claimed to be God inspired, for instance, if a woman was a prostitute or had sex before marriage, she was stoned to death. Yeshwa nor Selassie I did this. Keep in mind that these old traditions were inspried by the time, no so much by God. Look at the Fetha Nagast. His Majesty made changes to the laws of the kings because of their dogmatic and old world philosophy.

Blessed Love

Ras Zion i

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 29

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I