Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7868&start_row=1

Bob Marley: The Movie

1 - 6
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 2/1/2024 2:32:58 AM

in theatres Fefuary 14th 2024

go see with family and friends

it has potential to bring many ones and ones to see JAH LIGHT

To become curious, interested, and inspired.

Prepare, it is much needed and the movement is still a seed about to sprout

come soon back and lets reason after seeing the movie

peace and love
Jah Rastafari

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 2/9/2024 10:20:16 PM

Matubaruka on Crying at the Bob Marley: One Love movie premiere

https://youtu.be/7JGDdRwrw1g?si=nGQshfw8MqvAl2jU

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/20/2024 4:56:06 PM

Brother Jesse did the I see it yet?
I think we are gonna try and catch it this strong

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 3/5/2024 2:14:52 AM

Yes JAH Child!

Seen the movie. Went to theatre with my sons. Teens now, they got some insight and got to see rastafari and reggae somewhat represented.

Being a short movie less than 2hrs it only scratched the surface of some deep roots.
I feel it was targeted to entertain the average movie watcher and only gave peeks into Bob Marleys life- mainly the 2 years or so he was in England recording exodus album.

Overall a good thing it is for society as a whole. This is the first Bob Marley movie and InI can only hope that the best has yet to come. "Only time will tell."

Best message in the movie is unity in the unity concert, bringing 2 warring politicians- symbols of divide and conquer hand in hand . That picture when it happened and the light appears to be beaming from that unity.

Haile Selassie is a very elusive father figure in movie. I am sure Bob would have wanted more of the King and his Faith in his movie.

The mystic is beyond the glamour.
JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 4/5/2024 4:14:07 PM

I thought it was a good movie but mainly good for Reggae. They kind of touched on Rastafari a bit but you know... sometimes the indirect thing is better because you get people asking more questions.

At the end of the day, Bob was a real person who really was a great legendary type of man who deserved to have his story told. But I just wished it was longer so they could tell more of the story.

But I think it did what it set out to do. I think the family wanted to pay homage to their dad and I feel that very deeply.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 4/6/2024 8:18:04 PM

Hail bredren, JAH love!

Yes I Ras Jesse and IPX ninja, agree with the Iyahs on all accounts. It was definitely a positive message and a good narrative of that concert and the political atmosphere at the time, while still being honest or at least hinting at the shortcomings of some of the main individuals including Bob.

We did see it a while ago and I meant to come here and reply to the I but time got away from me! I and I agreed the role was not very well cast though and the fake dreads really were a shock, for me it was just extremely hard to suspend my disbelief as I watched because it was sooo obviously not Bob and it just didn't feel right. I wasn't able to immerse myself. When I came home from the movie I watched live concerts of Bob and the I threes for like five hours and had the best time, much better than the movie, the real emotion and passion is so palpable even in the recordings of the live performances.

The mama I work for told me before I saw it that she felt it needed subtitles! When my King and I saw it we laughed at that because it wasn't the case at all. I thought most of it was presented in a way that made it accessible to the common audience.

A lot of my thoughts while I watched it were centered on my Kingman and his emotions as he grew up in Trenchtown in the 80s, and I could feel his heart beat as he watched some of those scenes of his hometown. And we had a lot of discussions afterward about the different aspects of Jamaican society that came up in the movie, such as the lack of committment within relationships, people having multiple partners and having children with multiple people and not so much emphasis on conventional marriage. And those things have influenced his experience in life and mine as well as a result, trying to have a relationship and build a strong family structure with no personal examples of what that looks like, the way it affects a boy not to have his father in his life, etc. In that sense the movie was a good way to introduce some introspection and discussions about that.

And for me kind of weighing the options like, yeah conventional marriage is usually preferrable, certainly everyone deserves to have their emotional needs met and to not be lonely, but when the love is that deep like Rita and Bob, and the purpose is so big, well she didn't really get the treatment and the committment that she as a womban deserved from Bob, but she did get a beautiful life, many children, a whole empire of Bob's legacy, the way they together reached millions of people with a positive message and made an impact in the world. If she had chose a truly monogamous committed marriage with someone else in leui of that relationship which was obviously rocky yet infused with a unique magic, the beautiful generations of their family, all the art and music and legacy they have together would not exist. So as a womban I reflected a lot on that. Society's views of what is right for me vs. what I feel is my destiny.

What I did love about the movie was the reintroduction of Bob and thereby Rastafari into the mainstream field of vision and, as the I said Ras Jesse, it probably will encourage some curiousity and some true seekers.

Haha that was an extremely long commentary but there it is, nonetheless. Love to all my sistren and bredren, Ivermore. Oneness

1 - 6

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I