Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7847&start_row=1

Overstanding 'white' people.

1 - 10
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Jonathan Ainsley Bain Sent: 9/6/2023 6:52:34 AM

So I grew up classified as 'white' during apartheid, which is why I consider whiteness to be a racist thing, and blackness to represent non-racism. I was always told I must be this nazi person which I rejected, and so I dismantled their ridiculous conscription from the inside, and thus they crumbled before Jah Truth.

That is who I am. But in aesthetic terms, I consider the 'whites' to be Romans, whereas the 'Red' are the original British and Scandinavian people.

But having lived my whole life in Africa, most of my true friends are Rastas so I am in cultural terms, something of a Rasta.

Thats just my position, but so many people, fall foul to not properly comprehending what the palefaces are culturally. There is a deep difference that falls along two ancient historic borders.

The one being between Denmark and Germany; and the other is at Hadrian's wall. So we have this dichotomy in what is called white culture. All major wars, were fought along this cultural divide, even though the names and flags and even the continents change. Its still the same battle between liberty and hierarchy. Between innovation and repression.

But its also important to see that when dealing with a European; is he a Roman, or is he a Viking? That divide itself is deeper than even the most painful racism of skin color.

In 1938, Selassie gave the famous speech about racism.
Those days are upon us again in many ways.

All comments welcome; its a nebulous topic.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 9/6/2023 2:07:02 PM

People is people.
Cultures difer. But people is people.
Universal I in all.

Freedom vs oppression. Good vs evil. This is true. A false sense of superiority breeds atrocity, anywhere.

Messenger: White Lightning Sent: 9/8/2023 9:58:23 AM

I see this topic as Whitewashing Rastafari.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 9/9/2023 5:19:49 AM

Messenger: dembele Sent: 9/15/2023 7:25:54 AM

Yeah.
Stop whitewashing rastafari it,s for us BLACK PEOPLE because let me tell you here in tenerife we have partys Jah is gonna destroy thd white race in 2031 wORLD WAR 3

Messenger: dembele Sent: 9/15/2023 7:26:56 AM

Yeah.
Stop whitewashing rastafari it,s for us BLACK PEOPLE because let me tell you here in tenerife we have partys Jah is gonna destroy thd white race in 2031 wORLD WAR 3

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 9/15/2023 12:23:59 PM

@Jonathan

Please ignore any ignorant comments on this thread. I appreciate the information you have shared and would love to hear more.

Please feel free to share more of your cultural experiences. You may be sharing things a lot of people need to hear.

Messenger: PraiseJAH Sent: 10/11/2023 5:12:22 PM

Dembele pls drop the angry rhetoric. It's only bringing the reasoning down to a lower level. Jah loves ALL. Period. Point blank. End of story

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 10/12/2023 9:20:45 AM

What I really like about the OP is the awareness that 'whiteness', as a classification, was and is racist. This is a level of awareness that a lot of people under that label don't have and need to obtain.

And yes, he's also 100% correct that 'blackness' is non-racist because it exists as a counter to 'whiteness'. When many of us are young we think about these labels and what they mean. When I was young I was confused because it was a time before I got immersed in 'the struggle' and so when I looked at my skin I asked myself "why should I call myself black? I'm brown." This might sound silly to other black people who have perhaps never really questioned this, but to me this period came with a revelation.

I wasn't 'black' for or because of me or who I am, but because of what my people were determined to be. Which is the antithesis of "white" and it wasn't just an identity. Blackness encompassed the struggle against color-based identities just as night is the opposite of day. It was never because my skin was black because my skin isn't black. For anyone to think "he has black skin" they're either color blind or blinded by racism. I am brown-skinned but I am BLACK. Not because I am as much as because I choose to be. And yes, if the police stop me all they will see is black because of their ignorance and mental programming choosing to identify me that way. But I am Black and we choose to be Black to share in this identity with our ancestors and with others who are called black and we make it something positive; something good. We share in the same struggle. And so blackness is cultural. And cultures I think are meant to be shared.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 10/12/2023 9:37:05 AM

On the other hand, part of 'whiteness' is this false idea of "purity". And so when they talk about culture wars (because they are the only ones who do) all they are suggesting is that they are mad that people of different cultures are "sharing" their culture and these cultures (black, asian, hispanic) are being appreciated and absorbed.

One of the things we have to do is make sure we don't start to absorb their hatred and want to protect and try to keep black culture away from individuals of all 'races' and cultures. Of course, we don't want them to just take it and act like it's their thing. But it is to be shared just as love is to be shared.

Rock n' Roll and even country music have origins and inspiration from black music. So they want purity then they should give back these things. But after generations of whitewashing certain things now they want to act like sharing is bad. And so if they think it's bad (for them) then it must be good (for the world).

And so I think when we talk about 'white people', as most black people already do, we should be careful to make it clear who we are talking about it. Because most white people are not aware of the racism that is the foundation of the term "white" and how it was applied to different groups of people, who at different times weren't regarded as white because they weren't seen as good enough (The Irish, the Italians). Whiteness is therefore also more than and not truly accurate to skin color. It is the standard of acceptability for white supremacy. Black people are really the only ones who can never pass that standard without the standard itself going away.

That's why the more blackness is embraced by those labeled "white" the more White Supremacy loses power until it will no longer be able to sustain itself. That is, what I believe, they're afraid of.

1 - 10

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I