Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7720&start_row=1

Dr Jordan Peterson, thoughts and opinions

1 - 5
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Matthew Sent: 6/10/2022 3:04:15 AM

Greetings

I've not posted on here since around 2008 but regularly read reasonings from old friends and new...

I'm wondering what people think of the works and opinions of Dr Jordan Peterson?

I have read 2 of his books and listened to many of his lectures and have compared his reasonings to the words of Haile Selassie I. I see no contradiction. Dr Peterson seems to talk about and hold many of the same values as Jah Rastafari, but have never heard Jah Rastafari people reason about his works and message. any thoughts on this topic?

blessed love

Messenger: Matthew Sent: 6/10/2022 3:37:26 AM

The people themselves must come to realize their own difficulties in the development of their community and try to solve them by collective participation following an order of priority and taking their potentiality into account.

It is well known to you all that recognizing one's problems and striving hard to challenge them is a mark of an attempt at self-sufficiency. Self help in the benefits to be acquired through education, will save the individual from asking someone's assistance.

H.I.M
Adopt responsibility for your own well-being, try to put your family together, try to serve your community, try to seek for eternal truth... That's the sort of thing that can ground you in your life, enough so that you can withstand the difficulty of life.

Jordan Peterson

Messenger: Cedric Sent: 6/11/2022 3:40:21 PM

Bless Up Matthew,

I man have not heard of Dr. Jordan Peterson before. Give thanks for sharing. Care to suggest books the I has injoyed?

HIM Haile Selassie I Love

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 6/13/2022 8:52:05 PM

Dr. Peterson has alot to say that people need yo hear. I dont agree with him on every little thing. He knows how to reason and on his podcast/you tube he reasons with all kinds of people which is what is needed. Deep thinker who has overcome much adversity.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 6/15/2022 4:04:05 PM

I agree with Jessep. Peterson is a logical man and a deep critical thinker. He's the kind of person I'd love to debate one day.

That being said, I definitely don't agree with all of his positions. And in actuality, I don't know how many of his positions I could support. Just because you're smart, doesn't mean you're right. And a PSYCHOLOGY professor... who is willing to fully utilize his knowledge in that field... would likely be a dangerous foe to debate because they would be able to make their arguments sound compelling and very reasonable and supported by facts.

But if you're really smart you can deceive even yourself into think your opinion is correct on any particular issue.

What concerns me is how much of Peterson's positions appeal to a certain demographic. And at the same time, I don't see Peterson distancing himself from that demographic or from the fortune and fame that comes with it. It is, in essence, the very core of politics.

So it's kind of like he's good at masking whatever agenda he has in a way that helps him sell more books and advertisements. He understands the value of his influence and popularity and is okay with not being popular with everyone because he has a strong base.

The problem is that one can say the same about Trump. Trump realizes he has a strong base and knows how to feed them red meat by playing them against another side they disagree with. Peterson does the same thing on social issues. And therefore his biggest following are the biggest group of haters.

But that doesn't mean he's all wrong, either. Frankly, the social justice warrior thing started as a good cause but has gotten out of hand. Opponents might say they saw this happening from the beginning. Maybe they did. But the fact is that extremes in either direction typically result in the same over-corrective type of behavior... more extremes... more authoritarian types of measures to "fix" it; people giving up more and more power to one person in order to control other people. And these extremes don't stop the behavior they are targeting. It just drives it underground and gives it the appeal of also being "taboo".

Listen but don't trust NOBODY that maintains a following through political types of content curation.

1 - 5

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I