Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=767&start_row=1

butterflies

1 - 2
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: the rock Sent: 4/9/2005 11:03:16 AM

Heavy winter rains have led to billions of butterflies that are beginning to descend on California in what could be a record migration.

AP Photo

Millions of butterflies that flew into the Central Valley in the last week of March could be just the advance guard of an unprecedented hoard.

"This may be the biggest migration of modern times," said Arthur Shapiro, a professor and expert on butterflies at the University of California, Davis.

There are now reports of billions of painted lady butterflies around Trona, near Death Valley, and in the San Fernando Valley, Shapiro said. More waves of butterflies are likely to appear in central California over the next few weeks.

Painted lady butterflies (Vanessa cardui) winter in the desert. As caterpillars turn into adults in the spring, they migrate north in search of food and a place to mate.

Painted ladies migrate every year, but usually in far fewer numbers. Exceptionally high winter rainfall in southern California has created a bumper crop of plants on which the caterpillars feed, Shapiro said.

The butterflies take about three days to reach the Central Valley. Some will fly on to southern Oregon to mate. Their offspring head up to British Columbia by summer, before returning south again in the fall.

How to identify painted ladies: They have a wingspand of 2 to 3 inches. They are orange-brown with black and white patches. Males are known to perch on shrubs and patrol during the afternoon in search of receptive females, according to the Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center. They can live just about anywhere but prefer open or disturbed areas, including gardens, old fields, sand dunes

Messenger: jahlove_72 Sent: 4/10/2005 5:54:14 PM

Greetings Rock

Haven't posted for a while...trying to get caught up on my "big" paper for graduation (slavery in Europe during the Early Middle Ages) so have been very busy and catch a few posts here and there. I had to respond to this one because for the past few weeks my wife and I have been noticing A LOT of butterflies, especially at my daughter's softball games...swarms across the fields. We were wondering what was up! Thanks for the info...I will print and show to my wife.

Many Blessings
JAH LOVE

Jeff

1 - 2

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I