Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7601&start_row=1

Rasta woman and makeup

1 - 6
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Bongo meca Sent: 11/20/2021 10:24:33 AM

I know that rasta woman is supposed to believe in natural livity .But is a lil makeup so bad ...empresses Chim in ,I'm all natural myself I don't wear any makeup but do you?

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 11/20/2021 10:51:14 PM

I don't have to say much on it besides there is all natural make-up (made from minerals and such) for the natural Empresses out there that either want to make a living with it or wear it themselves

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 11/21/2021 10:34:52 AM

Hail up Empress Bongo I, hail up I bredren Jesse.
As far as the natural mineral makeup goes, which is pretty expensive by the way, I was using that toward the end of my makeup days. It continued to make me break out and have blemishes, just like the cheap unnatural stuff did.
When I wore makeup, I would literally use it as a mask. I felt powerful because no one could see the "real me". I have always been a barefoot girl, outdoors girl, and when I discovered cannabis I became a stoner girl. But I wanted people to think the opposite so I would do my hair and makeup and wear heels and shiny clothing, and make sure I put in eye drops so no one can see my red eyes from smoking. It felt like I was living a secret life and it felt powerful for some reason. The power of anonymity I guess?
I realized what I was doing, and I felt wrong about it. So I quit wearing the mask. In all aspects. I just started being myself and letting people see who I am.
The way makeup has gone so crazy these days, it's like women are trying to look like men pretending to be women. The level of unnatural alteration that people are doing with botox and fillers and all of that too. It's all become very alien and seems like women don't want to accept their natural selves anymore.
And part of the choice to live as a natural womban and not wear makeup is in thinking for my children, my eventual daughters that I'll one day have, to show them what a natural womban who loves herself looks like. I made an effort to get comfortable with my natural self so that I can teach my children to love their natural selves. Makeup is the same idea as plastic surgery to me - if you use it, you are showing your children that they need to go to these lengths also to be beautiful - a standard that they can't possibly hope to fulfill until their adult ages, meaning they will spend their entire adolescent life thinking they're not good enough, need to do grown up things in order to look beautiful. I've seen this behavior in my nieces because of the way my sisters live their lives, and I'm determined that my children will have a different experience. So that's one of my main motivators in being natural, not wearing any kind of makeup, not even the mineral kind.
It also makes it easier when you're in a committed relationship and you know your man loves you in your natural state. You're not trying to impress anyone else, so if the one man who matters loves you without makeup, it makes it easier not to feel like you need it. Looking like I do, with my hair all wrapped and no makeup, long skirt, etc, I am not exactly a magnet for men - most men don't look at me in a sexual way, it takes a certain type of man to be attracted to a natural woman, and most men out here are not like that especially the area I live in where everything is about fake boobs and looking like a Kardashian. If I wanted to attract a bunch of men, dressing like I do would not be the way to do it. And it took a lot for me to let go of that attention, after a lifetime of seeking male attention in order to validate my own worth. But the power that comes with being comfortable with myself is greater than the power that came with wearing a mask. So I'm really glad that I don't own any makeup at all, and the only thing I have to spend time putting on my face is some shea butter!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/21/2021 11:43:09 PM

Barefoot outdoors girl..... Haha love dat JahChild.
Yes it's true the standard of world beauty is set by the Kardashians to have everybody (male and female) looking.... Reptilian

Messenger: Bongo meca Sent: 11/22/2021 8:50:44 PM

Biggup yourself empress I also only put Shea butter and cocoa butter on my face. And my dad always said makeup is like painting your face with a mask that's why I never got into it .it stuck with me.ive also always saught the attention of men but let that go when I because rasta. Even my Kingman doesn't understand the long skirts and modest wear .

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 11/24/2021 10:03:50 AM

Hail up Iyah Garveys Africa!
Yes Iyah haha outdoors girl still and thankfully I Lion is outdoors man also. I'm so thankhful to have this humble King in I life, and how he overstand and give I grace for every choice I make. If I wear a long skirt, he never asks questions, and if I wear a bikini, no questions either. If I cover my hair, no question, if I wear it free, no questions either. If I shave my legs, no question, if I don't shave for a month, no question either. He just let I be I and he love I the same.
Bongo Meca I hope the I Kingman can be so overstanding like I Lion. It's a beautiful thing for Rastaman and Rastawomban to be together. But if he is not a Ras at the least I hope he can respect the culture and the I own ability to choose right for the Iself. Whether he overstand or not, he should not have to overstand the choice in order to honor it.
The I father sound like a wise man! I'm glad he knew to teach the I nature and self love. Looking forward to teaching I&I youths the same, and pray they will learn from a good example.

1 - 6

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I