Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7557&start_row=1

Empress menen hair covering

1 - 2
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Bongo meca Sent: 8/12/2021 10:50:49 AM

greetings all, I was doing a light Google search and I found that her majesty empress menen didn't really cover her hair.On the coronation day her hair was covered and I found a few pics with her hair covered but but like the rasta sistren wear it today.Where does this head covering come from ?

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 8/12/2021 11:00:30 PM

Sister Bongo,
Empress Menen did not wear dreadlocks nor did she usually cover her hair. She wore a tiara or a hat on most occasions.
Whether or not you want to cover your hair is totally up to you.
There are many reasons to do so. For I, the main one is cleanliness. There are also energetic reasons to cover the head. There is also the fact that I do not have to be on display for all the world to see, as a personal choice I like to keep some things a mystery. Not every person needs to see my hair. Many ask and get denied. They say "I want to see it down one day!" and I say "You never will!" with a smile. They realize with that statement that I have boundaries, I am not an object created for their interest and pleasure, and they are not free to treat me in any way they please. As I stated in a different thread I will wear my hair out if if it wet, usually I avoid doing this in public but if I have to run a short errand or something, I do it and just try to keep my hair from touching anything or touching it with dirty hands. This is because it takes at least 1 day sometimes a day and a half to dry, so I only wash it once per strong on my day off work. Therefore I have to keep it covered in order to stay clean between washes.
As Rastafari we do not copy every single thing His Majesty and Her Highness do. We emulate their spirit and we honor them for their choices while we remain free to make our own choices.
Heart of Love

1 - 2

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I