Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7553&start_row=1

Dreadlocs care

1 - 9
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Bongo meca Sent: 8/10/2021 11:48:23 AM

how does the I take care of their locs? How often do you wash?What shampoo do you use? Any natural products?

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 8/10/2021 1:25:57 PM

Bless up mi bredda

I have an aloe vera plant that I cut a leaf from. I lubricate my locs into the mucus until my hair is completely lubricated. (Once in a while I mix it with lemon juice) From there I let it dry in my hair for a few hours and finally I wash it out with water.

Aloe vera gel contains powerful antioxidants belonging to a large family of substances known as polyphenols. These polyphenols, along with several other compounds in aloe vera, help inhibit the growth of bacteria.

A few times a year I take a vinegar cleanser to make sure my hair is completely clean. You can google further on 'vinegar cleanser for locs'

You should probably wash it 2-3 times a week. (Rasta DON'T deal with nastyness)

One Love
RasTafarI

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 8/12/2021 11:41:33 PM

I use tea tree soap or African black soap, one or the other, just wash once per strong usually Saturday, let it air dry, and keep it covered the rest of the time to keep it clean. If I get really sweaty in between I will rinse my scalp with water but keep the rest of my hair mostly dry. Just hold the locks up away from the water but give the scalp a good rinse. If the hair is dry I will spray equal parts vitamin e oil and rosewater after washing while damp, then it dries softer and with more hydration. The worst thing anyone can do for their dreadlocks is to twist and tighten... please don't make yourself go bald by doing this!

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 8/13/2021 1:10:25 AM

smaller dreads are easier to clean through than congos, locks will merge into each other if unhindered making it hard to clean scalp too

there are so many natural organic soaps available

drying can be as much work as washing

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 9/28/2021 2:46:52 AM

I've got a huge congo in my neck. It's 10 to 20 dreads that have gathered in a large giant loc. I can not get oxygen to the scalp and when I wash it, it is wet and moist for over 24 hours. Never have I felt so unhygienic. I have tried to use all my muscles to rip it apart, but it is impossible. I'll probably have to cut it all off and start over..

How do I prevent something like this from happening again? Should one just separate their locs well in advance?

Another question. I have used the natural soaps a lot, but my locs have become very greasy from them as they contain a lot of oils. That's why I prefer Aloe Vera and Lime juice. Does no one have the same problem?

Hope some will help.
Bless up
RasTafarI

Messenger: King Jam Sent: 9/28/2021 12:35:52 PM

nothing is wrong with natty dead.. congo dread/ bob Marley was natty dread./congo maybe if you saturated your head in a water mixed with tee tree oil, and other herbs, it might help

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 9/29/2021 6:40:40 AM

Bless up King jam
And thanks for answering
I agree that there is nothing wrong with congo/natty.
My congo has become so big that it almost pulls hair roots on my forehead even though the congo is on my neck. My whole hair is almost inside that congo. I have simply had my locs in a turban so much that it has turned into a big lump.

But let's just agree that it is unhealthy not to get proper air to the scalp and that one's hair is longer than 24 hours to dry?
Fungus and everything disgusting can occur..

I give thanks for the advice about tee three oil.

Messenger: Jahcub I Sent: 9/29/2021 9:36:49 PM

Bredren Rasta Youth,

Here is some links for the I to check out, to help with keeping the locks clean: Healing Hair Oil and Taking care of dreads

ACV Wash:

I have not tried the ACV wash, it does seem to work good to remove dirt, mold, residue. The brotha in the video has to wash, rinse, repeat a few times to get the locks deep cleaned. This may work well for the congo lock.

The Healing Hair Oil has herbs in it that will keep out any badness, mold, lice, etc. Try the AVC wash, afterwards apply the oil to your scalp and locks.

Now this RastafarI elder, is probably the happiest man I have ever seen. This is a good video, the elder recalls his experience seeing His Majesty on Groundation Day. Maybe the I has seen it already? This elder has one giant lock, and he wears it like a sash when he removes his tam (near the end of the video:

King, the I can Itinue to let the lock grow, if you want to trod that level of strictness. Or you can separate your locks when they start to all lock up into one. That is your choice, your trod.

Bless Up Iyah
JAH Love and Guidance

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 10/5/2021 11:26:07 AM

Bless up Jahcub I and King Jam

Give thanks for all the help.

Rastafari

1 - 9

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I