Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7473&start_row=1

Real black leaders?

1 - 3
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 12/30/2020 8:38:36 PM

I think about this clip a lot, it's from Bulworth, a 20+ year old political movie that points out a lot of the problems and solutions that are just now starting to take root in the public consciousness, at least among young people. This clip is easily missed, because she says it really fast to try and seem smarter, and a lot of people have no idea what the words mean, but it's a theory why there are no prominent black leaders anymore. I'm not convinced there are no black leaders, but I see what they're saying. There's no one the people really follow, is there? That's kind of an important part of being a leader, is the masses responding to you.

Basically, what she's saying is the outsourcing of jobs took away employment opportunities for black people, which kneecapped the activist population because now everyone is busy focusing on basic survival, not feeling hopeful for the future or having any free time to do activism. Also, that media culture has become so materialist/consumerist that no one is willing to sacrifice for the greater good.

So I'm just wondering... are there any real black leaders? Would people even follow them? But as always, the solution seems to be education and economic opportunity. Other than that, just having principles and standing for something. But sometimes principles are a luxury.

Messenger: Arma Gideon Sent: 1/1/2021 11:17:04 PM

What made [makes] past black leaders in the diaspora different to all other leaders ...... ?

Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 1/4/2021 10:54:29 AM

Well, the first thing that came to mind is a strong family unit with a father present, but maybe that's a small part of it. I suspect religion played a critical role in their ability to be seen as an authority figure the people should follow. That's unfortunate for me as someone who thinks religion is goofy, but if MLK had just been a random guy, would he be the same leader? Doesn't seem like it.

From my life experience, preachers are the biggest con artists and child abusers, so it's not as if religious leaders are any real solution, but I don't know what else there is, unless we're relying on Cardi B coming to the rescue. Like... who will black people respond to? Rich sociopaths who don't promote anything besides materialism, it seems like. I even seen video of a black militia, but wait, they just had a parade and went back home? It's all so go-nowhere.

Got a few politicians, but they're all absorbed with their own privilege. You get about 2 years, then they sell out.

1 - 3

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I