Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7435&start_row=1

Enquiries about Rastafarianism - Ethnography

1 - 9
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: hussein.bakir Sent: 11/3/2020 5:52:14 PM

Good day everybody!

My name is Hussein Bakir, and I am doing an Ethnography project (study of society) about Rastafarianism for my Cultural Anthropology class. To do so, I need to get answers to my questions from Rastafarian believers. (Kind of an interview-type research which I need to include in my final paper, so the more candidates for the interview, the more justice I can do for the final project)

I am really excited to know more about Rastafari belief and would be grateful for any help in answering the following questions. I know they are many questions, and the topic is extensive, so please feel free to answer whatever you can (any information would be great), and add anything you think is beneficial. I really appreciate the help, and look forward to hearing your answers. Thank you all!!

Questions:

1. What are the origins of Rastafari belief? (A brief history?)

2. What are the core beliefs of Rastafari?

3. What are the core messages of Rastafari?

4. How do you see Emperor Haile Selassie I, Marcus Garvey, and Bob Marley, in light of Rastafari belief?

5. What other religious/historical figures are important to note in Rastafari?

6. What is Babylon? What is Zion? How would you describe each of them?

7. What does being a Rastafari mean to you?

7. What are the different Rastafari denominations and movements? What are the differences between them?

8. What role does nature play in Rastafari? / How do Rastafari view nature?

9. How would you define the concept of 'Livity'? / How important is Livity in Rastafari belief and what role does it play? / How important is Livity to you personally and how do you practice it in your daily life?

10. What diet laws do Rastafari follow? / What are the reasons for those diet laws and lifestyles?

11. What are the main similarities and differences between Judaism and Rastafari? / and between Christianity and Rastafari?

12. What is the importance of music in Rastafari?

13. How is Reggae music influenced by Rastafari belief? / How did Reggae music help with the spread of Rastafari?

14. What is the importance of Cannabis in Rastafari?

15. What are some important rituals in Rastafari?

16. What are some important celebrations in Rastafari?

Messenger: Kiwiman Sent: 11/3/2020 8:52:32 PM

What is an interrogator personality type?

Messenger: Arma Gideon Sent: 11/3/2020 10:55:02 PM

How did you come to choose "Rastafari" as your subject matter ?

Messenger: hussein.bakir Sent: 11/9/2020 5:54:40 PM

HI Kiwiman,

Did not quite get your question brother.

While it is my choice to do the project on Rastafar-I, it was not my preference to interview (or as you put it "interrogate") believers of Rastafar-I. The project is an Ethnography for a Cultural Anthropology course, which requires that it is based on interviews, not research.

As you see from my questions, I have done my part researching the Rastafar-I faith, which I deeply respect. All I need is help from my Rasta brothers and sisters in answering those questions, whichever ones they can, so I can use those personal perspective answers in my research.

Blessings

Messenger: hussein.bakir Sent: 11/9/2020 6:21:36 PM

Hi Arma,

The faith has always been inspirational and intriguing to me. My respect for "Rastafari" is deep, and I have wanted to know more about it for years, but had unfortunately not pursued it to a great extent.

The Cultural Anthropology course I am taking this semester required that I choose a culture/faith to research more, which presented the opportunity to learn more about "Rastafari" beliefs and culture. One of my other courses is an Introduction to World Religions course, in which I am also researching the "Rastafari" faith.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 11/11/2020 4:22:58 AM

I suggest not to study Rastafari more than living with Rastafari. Knowledge from experience is superior to cognitive speculation. Livity brings overstanding that study can supplement but not provide.

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 11/13/2020 8:36:32 PM

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 11/13/2020 8:42:51 PM

SABBATHICAL ORDER

ZION - RASTAFARI RIGHTEOUS KINGDOM

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 11/13/2020 10:49:27 PM

Not only RASTA alone (All One) R a Livity;

‘Babylon’ is a Live to... and check the inverzion of that word (sWord - we cast spell with) [see: spell-ing] L-i-v-e // E-v-i-L

Since Reggae Really is the Vehicle who spread the awareness of RASTAFARI globally, let I&I start/take off with some reggay tunes...

(Was really looking for that videoclip where this singer, Jah Mason, “teach South Africa police Wisdom” - but that one had been taken off from the jewtube)

“Babylon ; your evilous system..”

“Continental Universal; ah so mi ago Bless dem... Royal Priest
Press along & keep on pressing...with the ONE TWO ORDER mi dun study mi lesson..”

What is the 1 , 2 order One might ask?
See what Joseph Shepherd & Jah Mason have to say
Over the reggae riddim:

Now , to the Foundation, BoBo Hill , Zion Hill , where
Emmanuel (DaDa) dwell..

Who is He?

Mount Teman. Paramount importance!

Listen carefully what DADA King Emmanuel answer when
the interviewer ask Him what His “Religion” is...
“...MY RELIGION IS FREEDOM, REDEMPTION AND
INTERNATIONAL REPATRIATION..”

(His religion)

(His beliefs)

(Freedom. How to achieve a free living. Self sufficiency. Broom industry)

(More broom, short clip)

Oh, and this is the music of RASTAFARI ;

NYAHBINGHI :

Selah,

King Selassie I JAH Ras Tafari

1 - 9

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I