Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7394&start_row=1

could a white man ever be rasta?

1 - 1011 - 2021
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras RunMan Sent: 8/1/2020 4:14:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43lPIoH1LDw

Here brother kwaku argue for why a white man never could be rasta. If we look through history, our talents and resources have been white washed. Are we being strong by sticking to this or are we discriminatory in saying that whites cannot. LETS TALK THIS OUT

Bless I

Messenger: Everton I Sent: 8/1/2020 4:48:39 PM

I would say - A white man can’t be described as a rasta. The same way as he can’t be described as an afrikan. But first of all, Rastafari is a way of life. I have nothing against whites living a rasta liverty. In fact, it's just good that a white man also lives ital, learns about Selassie, Garvey, Emmanuel and tries to understand the black struggle. I believe that all nations must bow down to JAH, so all nations can move away from babylon. BUT many whites think they can tell the black man what rasta is and what rasta isn’t. I am not naive. That may be a white privilege and if we do not burn that fuckery the rasta will be dissolved. It is not the white man who have to go back to Afrika. Its not the white man who share our destiny. A white man can live as a rasta, but when you describe the original rastas you need to talk about the black man.

Bless up RasTafarI

Messenger: Black Christ in Flesh Sent: 8/1/2020 11:54:17 PM

Fistly, whole world is Africa but it's divided in continents. Whole world is black, regardless of race; black, white, brown or yellow. My reason for saying this is because all humankind have a common African ancestry, and from your father an African, you too is an African descendant by blood.

God created all people equal and FREE to do their thing. If I see a white man claiming to be African and chanting Rastafari praises, I will not have the least problem with him, cause him a free man, an equal in the eyes of the Lord, and he's my bredrin. In all truth. But if I see a black man feigning himself as a white foreigner with a rapid, slurring tongue (imitating foreigners accent), having the least knowledge about his history, then there certainly is a big problem. Here's someone who's braindead and a walking dead.

Alborosie is one of my favourite reggae musicians. He's white no doubt. But he claims African roots (12 tribes of Israel), worships RasTafari and I man love him. One love enuh people.

Messenger: Kiwiman Sent: 8/2/2020 7:08:19 PM

Some of the most well known Rasta have been a mix of black and white. Often, the white side that gives them advantage in Babylon to make their black side more acceptable,, and make known Rasta to white folk, this white side sometimes destroy them.

It is like a house divided.

On te nutube, Rasta like Aris Latham and others are good example of mixed blood Rasta doing good works for Jah and other Rasta.

Here in NZ, all Maori now mixed blood, no pure blood left. So to deny white Rasta is to deny yourself and your kind.

A tenet of Rasta is friendliness, this should be applied to white Rasta, more than even black non Rasta.

Color aside, true white Rasta are more your kind, follow Jah, of clean habits, better company and support you in your ways.

Oftentimes white Rasta can be a good useful allie too, for black Rasta.

However, like mansplaining in feminism, black Rasta should not allow white Rasta to dictate what black Rasta need or want to make reparations and heal the division between black and white people everywhere, Rasta or non Rasta.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 8/3/2020 10:22:32 AM

Bob Marley himself was mixed, having a white father. So if we were speaking in terms of strict biblical lineage, his lineage would be his father's. However, Bob Marley lived the black experience. He lived as a black man. And of course whites considered him black if for no other reason than the one drop rule.

If Rastafari is a religion than that means that anyone who accepts that religion, to the same degree that Christians accept Christianity and Jews accept Judaism, then whites can be Rastas.

The moment you say they can't you are judging them based on the actions of their recent ancestors. Could you judge Bob the same? Judgment based on relation to another is false and wrong. Every man should be judged according to his own works.

Sometimes people want to keep whites out because of cultural appropriation. There are things which we have that we feel are taken from us and then they forget where it came from.

But I've also seen African Americans with dreads because they seen a rapper with it and have no clue where it came from. You have some whites who sought to destroy our past and other whites who have sought to preserve it. Whites are not all the same, just like we aren't all the same. Some black people grew up in upper class white neighborhoods and cannot relate to the struggle.

So who can be anything is not something that should be up to someone else, as if someone else can decide or determine who you are. It has to be an individual's choice, knowing that they will be that which they claim to be, only when they represent that thing in their deeds. Anyone can claim anything but actions speak the loudest.

Messenger: Everton I Sent: 8/6/2020 6:51:32 AM

RasTafarI is NOT a religion.

How can you be a pro black rasta and call it a religion?
The name "religion" is used in the West to misrepresent Rastafari. It's a way of suppressing. a lot of People in the West has a negative view of religion and they leave our uprising into that subject. A lot of these people don't even know that Rastafari deals with reality because of that cover.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 8/6/2020 8:13:48 AM

@Everton

So none of these definitions apply to you?

Definition of religion
1a: the state of a religious
a nun in her 20th year of religion
b(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural
(2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Because I would say #2 and #4 applies even if 1b doesn't in the traditional sense.

What I would say Rastafari is not, it is not institutionalized. It's personal and that's why #2 applies. Even 1b(2) is applicable because there is a devoted following of H.I.M who is venerated as a God in flesh who serves as a model and pattern for righteousness and liberation.

You are correct about the negative imaging connected with this word but that is mainly directed at institutions and churches where hypocrisy is the order of the day and where their "beliefs and practices" are not expressed in their daily lives. Rastafari is NOT that.

Messenger: Evison Matafale Skræling Sent: 8/9/2020 11:00:37 AM

Love and Raspect to all Rastafari

Greetings Ras Everton I

"BUT many whites think they can tell the black man what rasta is and what rasta isn’t. I am not naive. That may be a white privilege and if we do not burn that fuckery the rasta will be dissolved. It is not the white man who have to go back to Afrika. Its not the white man who share our destiny. A white man can live as a rasta, but when you describe the original rastas you need to talk about the black man."

"RasTafarI is NOT a religion.

How can you be a pro black rasta and call it a religion?"

This King knows what he is talking about.

What is the root of the word religion?
French?

As far as the skin issue, he doesn't say white folks cant hold a livity or identify w Rasta trod, in fact, hes promoting all races to hold a vibe of love ital livity while preserving the istory factually.
Rastafari is a response to the imbalance of good and evil in our time. Resistance and destruction of white supremacy in other words, as that is the biggest unbalance, wickedness on earth. We all agree the pioneers of our movement were all Black people. Kings and Queens who deserve utmost Raspect. No Ras needs permission from next man anyway, is final between the I them and JAH! Give love.

All of us should feel this truth if we would humble and listen well. This is not about inflating egos or compromising.

Truth is power. Ukweli ni nguvu
Ahsante sana Mfalme Everton I

Messenger: Black Christ in Flesh Sent: 8/10/2020 4:30:18 PM

Religion is the business of priests. A white man is an original man as much as a black man. Stop with the racism. Any form of discrimination and racial segregation is racism. Everyone is HUMAN enough, no matter the colour or size of their body parts. What is important to God is the words of your mouth, and your meditations of your heart and achievement. The whole world is Ethiopia, or Israel, or Africa, or what you want call it.

King Selassie I is king of Israel (Ethiopia). isn't he the Lion of the tribe of Judah, ond not the fake hearted guy?

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 8/10/2020 5:15:22 PM

religion is not for priests. Priests simply tried to hijack religion in order to stand between people and God for their own benefit.

religion defined by James in the NT is this:

James 1:27
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

If you don't have a life style that involves God or some version of God then you don't have a religion. If you let other people define religion for you then sure... you could believe you don't have a religion or what you're doing is not a religion. But if we avoided words based on such reasoning we would rob ourselves of what words mean to us. Black people are the kings and queens of having our own definitions for words. When you say "overstanding" you're taking a word someone else made and putting your own spin on it. Especially in Rasta there's many examples of this. Because it's not about the words but what we mean when we say them.

Do you live according to your beliefs? That "livity" is your religion. If you don't like the word religion you don't have to use it.

1 - 1011 - 2021

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I