Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7314&start_row=1

Rastafari Brother and Sister trods

1 - 2
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/30/2020 9:12:39 PM

In the past a number of native socio-religious movements emerged in New Zealand in
direct response to the presence of Europeans, movements which share a host of features in
common with the Rastafari. For example, the Hau-Hau, a group which arose among the Maori
in the early part of the nineteenth century, called for the expulsion of all whites from the island
and the restoration of ancestral beliefs and practices. Like Rastafarians, the Hau-Hau spoke of
the imminent destruction of the world followed by a Golden Age free from European domination
and exhibited a strong affinity for the Old Testament and ancient Jewish history and
culture, believing themselves to be descendants of the tribe of Judah and as such God's Chosen
People (Lanternari 1963:248-55)
(N. Savishinsky. Transnational popular culture and the global spread of the Jamaican Rastafarian movement. New West Indian Guide/ Nieuwe West-Indische Gids 68 (1994), no: 3/4, Leiden, 259-281)

This sparks my interest....
I would like to know more about Indigenous post-colonial spiritual resistance movements like Rastafari, like the Hau Hau

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 3/31/2020 3:20:14 AM

Greetings Ras, give thanks for this. Also a subject that sparks my interest! Found a few interesting things....

"Rastafarianism was first introduced to New Zealand through reggae music in the mid-1970s. It became better-known after tours of New Zealand in 1979 by Jamaican reggae star Bob Marley and black British theatre group Keskidee Aroha. Several local Rastafarian reggae bands were formed, mainly with Mā;ori and other Polynesian members from Porirua, near Wellington, and Ponsonby, Auckland. A global Rastafari organisation, the Twelve Tribes of Israel, formed a New Zealand chapter in the mid-1980s. Rastafarianism became especially influential around Ruatō;ria on the East Coast, where young Mā;ori combined Rastafarian beliefs with the local Ringatū; faith.

Green Party MP Nandor Tanczos was New Zealand’s best-known Rastafarian until he retired from Parliament in 2008. In 2011 the first National Gathering of Rastafari was held in Wainuiomata, Wellington."

And this (with a video/lecture):

The Coming Of The Dread: The Rastafari-Maori Of New Zealand's East Coast by Dave Robinson

http://radicalanthropologygroup.org/av/video/coming-dread-rastafari-maori-new-zealands-east-coast

1 - 2

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I