Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7251&start_row=1

Religion or spiritual liverty

1 - 1011 - 19
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 12/10/2019 10:29:35 PM

Greetings
Often when i see a Rastaman being interviewed he says that Rastafari is not a religion but a way of life.

I know that one's own thinking power is right. That the truth is not written in some book, in a church, but in yourself. That Selassie I said "Read the bible and find the truth for yourself" He did not say "Read the bible cuz the bible is right"

And in that way we Rasta people have our own different overstandings and interpretations about Ras Tafari which is the beautiful. There is not a rulebook that tells you what to do and what not to do. If we look at a Muslim who drinks alcohol and a Muslim who does not drink, the Muslim who does not drink is considered a better Muslim than the person who drinks. Drinking and eating meat does not make you a worse Rasta because you have your own self-perception of what you think is right for yourself and no one else can judge.

But even though Rastafari does not function as a rule religion (although we have our own view of Rastafari Liverty), there is still a common theme and a common person we all follow. In other religions people also have their own interpretations and there are also Muslims who do not follow things in the Qur'an because they believe it has nothing to do with their faith even though they are Muslims.

So my question is: "What separates Rastafari from being a religion?" (if you also believe it is a lifestyle)

It is our own spiritual journey. I am in. But our journey still contains something in common

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 12/11/2019 11:30:59 PM

Good post.

I think whether it is a religion or not depends on your view of religion vs what it has been vs what it could be.

When James and Paul got into a argument over faith vs works James said I show you my faith by works.

In a similar fashion religion is "the works" of spirituality. Do you need a religion to be spiritual? No. Religions tend to be institutions... organizations... they take this name/title but isn't the same as you, the individual, having religion. And because many people rebel against these institutions that's how we get so many people claiming to be spiritual rather than religious. And this can also mean that a person thinks and believes but doesn't have any identifiable religious practices. As religion is defined as beliefs and practices.

Practices can enhance the belief. The point of it is reinforcement.

Rastafarianism is similar in ways with Jediism which is why I identify with both. And many Jedi are also members of different other religions, including Christianity. I think it is healthier to see these things as fluid instead of static so that we can continue to grow without being trapped, like certain faiths, who are trapped in a certain time period, some even refusing to use electricity.

Newer religions tend be more about freedom while older ones were more about restriction. Don't do this. Don't do that. This was the main thing Jesus dealt with in Judaism before Christianity was vomited out of it. The older heads couldn't give up Moses and his restrictions while the new followers were energized by the idea of love being the guiding principle.

So instead of defining Rastafarians by restrictions, what you have is as it should be. Different Rastas encouraging different things that you can incorporate into your personalized spiritual path and lifestyle, without it being a mandate forced upon everyone. Everyone isn't the same or has the same experiences. Some people can't even smoke the herb because it causes them to vomit. Some view it as unhealthy. Some are vegetarian. Some are vegan. Finding your own path is what spirituality is all about. No one else can give you that according to you specific needs and nature. And just because people do all these different things doesn't mean their spiritual. The spiritual benefit is not the action but what you personal get from the action.

For example... I've never felt drawn to being a vegetarian even though I was raised that way as a Christian. It seemed like an unnecessary restriction to me because Jesus and his disciples could not have been vegetarian, nor could any Israelite because they all had to eat the Passover lamb. So even if they wanted to, they couldn't avoid eating meat and keep the feast days. And I can take restrictions. That's not the problem. I just want there to be a real tangible point. Nature isn't vegetarian. Some animals are. Many aren't. It's just a matter of the needs of each species. Humans are even different from other humans. Some need more protein. Some are allergic. There is no one size fits all.

When we, as humans, try these one size fits all approaches, that's when we become intolerant to those who are different and eventually those who are different inevitably rebel against that singular order. Wars between brothers. Wars between families. Wars between nations. So if you ask me, having an individualized approach within the context of religions that are more like open-source ways of life and/or schools of thought, that accept and do not dictate spirituality... it is the biggest competition to the old world, old school religions because it has the potential to bring harmony and healing to the world.

Messenger: Jahcub I Sent: 12/14/2019 6:06:39 AM

"What separates Rastafari from being a religion?"

RastafarI livity is Iveryday.
Religion is something people do on sundays.

RastafarI livity frees the people.
Religion means to bind; so religion ties the people up tightly.

Babylon can't bind up RastafarI
Never can they bind InI

RastafarI livity is InI road out of babylon. Religion just try and bind InI with babylon.

Bless Up RastafarI

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 12/16/2019 7:47:34 AM

JahCub

but what about religions in Africa saying that this is their way out of "The evil system" and not a religion, but they believe in another black hero and just practice some other stuff

How could it work as an argument?

Even though I think your argument is very great
It is the identity given to the children of Africa, but another ("so called") religion could say the same. Malcolm would say that Islam was the way out of "babylon"

So Im just curious

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 1/30/2020 3:15:08 AM

We see leaders who call themself Christians, but don't think about judgement day in the way they treat their people. The same with muslims. Sizzla is now the Head of Rastafari. He made songs about killing gays. Even though you dont like homosexuality -Rasta would never kill anyone.
to kill or to call for killing is the worst thing you can do in my eyes. Rasta is love. How can he pretend to be Rasta. He might do a lot of good stuff for our community, but when a rudeboy goes out to kill a gay man he might have "gunshot" by sizzla playing in his headphones. So I see the problems in Rasta too like I see in religions.

Rasta is uprising
Rasta is love
One should never kill and call it love
What is rasta than in the end?

Jah RasTafarI

Messenger: Jahcub I Sent: 1/30/2020 10:01:55 AM

Sizzla is not the Head of Rastafari. I don't like the word sound of "the head of RastafarI". Who can replace or be JAH head? The Head of RastafarI will always be JAH RasTafarI Haile Selassie I. RastafarI is Head of RastafarI.

I've met some Christians that told me they were spiritual and not religious. And there are Buddhists and many others that would say they are spiritual and not religious...

Religion, in its purest original form, would be spiritual livity. In sanskrit they call it sanatana dharma. Sanatana means the original/eternal and dharma means function/religion/truth. To live ones life in harmony with the eternal original truth, order, and functions of life is the essence of religion. Original livity is living in harmony with life.

Most religions of today have lost that spiritual purity and have been far removed from their origin. Meanings and teachings lost and forgotten; or used to manipulate and control. Most religions of today have a lot of bloodshed and corruption in their history...

In these days and times, knowing what we know about these religions, their histories; we can ask ourselves if one of these modern religions (or any religion) is something we want to "bind" ourselves with?

Messenger: Rakamau Na Ras Sent: 1/31/2020 5:06:55 AM

Yes, religion do mean to bind or to tie back things. It came to a point of time when men made religions to find it way back into spirituality.

In ancient times many Africans didn't need a religion because we knew where we were coming from. So there was no need to tie back anything. Spirituality is what we was working with.

The same way as Rastas we know who I is. So no need to learn from outside of self when the I is within. Spirituality is a connection with the universe, with ancestors, with animals, with nature, and most of all with The Most High.

Religion is used as a tool to opressed and to control. And if you are not careful it will strip your identity away.

Spirituality is life within itself.

Now with Sizzla I overstand that some may say this is not how Rasta supposed to talk but at the same time we got to come to an overstanding that this is just one of a method of ways of doing things. Teaching the youths that being gay is wrong. In this western world they will accept homosexuality and produce the thought of it into their next generations. This is a crime.

So this is why I can't say Sizzla is doing wrong, because while he saying bad he is also doing good. You called it hate while I called it love. He's caring for his society and teaching the youths to not go astray. He's advertising the African way of life in his form. There's nothing wrong with that.

Rasta is love but don't let that love fool you. We live in truth and sometimes if you're not aware you will take the truth as hate. But its only hatred that lies, and love that speak the truth.

Selassie I Rastafari

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 1/31/2020 5:36:25 AM

Still The way Sizzla is doing it is wrong? He could teach in other different ways.
Of course he does it because he thinks its right and because he loves his community

but are you saying that encouraging people to kill is love?

ISIS also believes that they spread love

Not to compare ISIS with the black family that has been oppressed but to compare with what people call love

One could also teach people to kill everyone with a different skin color because of the love for brothers and sisters being oppressed

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 1/31/2020 5:51:08 AM

You can speak the true without murder talk
I've never hidden the truth in this thread
If I did InI wouldn't express myself in this way

I love Sizzla for all his other songs. He is one of my favorite artists

But im wondering whether he thinks of the young ghetto youths who look up to him. What those songs make them do. Aren't these songs getting them in jail and "one more brother dead in the streets"

Seems like you can compare those songs to the murder trap. I think these songs kill the black community more than it helps. Like these songs. Teenagers listen to when they about to do a drive by on another brother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbT71pujC-0

Messenger: Geez Che Sent: 1/31/2020 6:33:35 AM

The murder trap is a game of hide and seek spiritually, there is no death, and we take it in turns to find one another and give each one a chance to hide.

Witnesses are always needed to judge the temporary and spacial winner, since these games usually take place with in time and space.

Playing hard is really a question of ambition and pride.

A player association is needed to make sure teams are matched properly.

It is unfair to pit a lesser team against a superior team except when the lesser team is allowed to challenge for the title.

The name for the team version of "hide and seek" is the wide game, the name for the piggy in the middle version of hide and seek is "forty-forty"

Where do the children play;

1 - 1011 - 19

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I