Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7250&start_row=1

side note: Intelligent Design

1 - 6
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 12/9/2019 10:47:05 PM

"I would also advise him to seek the secular knowledge, for the more one knows the more he realises the need for a prime mover, the need for a Creator, a Creator who is good, and the need for salvation and also for peaceful life upon earth." - H.I.M

This tells me a lot. It tells me he had a more "Intelligent Design" theory; speaking of "a" Creator, not necessarily prioritizing "the" Creator who was of a certain creation story, type, etc. Just "a" creator. And then he infers goodness upon this creative role based on his observation of the overall good in creation.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 12/9/2019 10:47:39 PM

The problem with intelligent design is exactly what H.I.M said. It's a need. But that is a HUMAN need. When we put ourselves into the equation, it is WE who need. We need a Creator to help us make sense of Creation. WE need a Creator who is good so that we can feel that this is all going according to a divine plan that is according to the greater good. WE have a need for salvation based on our own behavior.

WE need.
WE need.
WE need.

WE... need to take ourselves out of the equation. Just because there are gaps in knowledge and experience doesn't mean that we NEED something to fill those gaps. And it doesn't mean that if we don't have a better idea that WE all like then the default must be a ghostly genie type of figure that is adept in magic.

It's funny. We want things to make sense but it is ironic that we most often fill those gaps with magic when in essence, magic is something, that by its nature, defies logic and reason. We simply tell our selves, if something can defy logic and reason it there must be a deity involved because their existence defies logic and reason. So something that also defies logic and reason must be their doing.

But you've never seen a magical deity do anything. And yet how many things have YOU seen in this life, that a person from ancient times would describe as magic? How many things from our time would they consider magic of the highest order. We can drop bombs that could have taken out their whole society at once. And for them... relatively speaking, since they hadn't been all over the world, that would be the end of the world.

If they saw me talking to Alexa... they would say, "he commanded the winds and there was music filling the air with... Jodeci?" I'm adding a bit of humor but the point is serious. Ancient societies would worship us as magical beings for our technology and yet... we: aren't gods at all, have mostly all the same weaknesses they do, have many people who don't understand our own technology, and are still very ignorant in how we treat each other.

I remember considering the possibility that some time in the future, what if someone was able to go back in time, and that person would basically become the Yahweh from biblical legend. Of course, I don't believe that, but it's an interesting thought that would explain some things.

There's also a possibility that we could create a virtual world, using voice commands, very similar to our own creation, and that world then gets created via an AI building artificial life from our specifications. This is entirely possible. And yet, if we did this, even if we were gods to the people born into that world, we're still not gods.

Even though these two possibilities exist that doesn't mean either one is the truth. But if you had to pick one... I think that's what happens with Intelligent Design. It's basically saying, we don't know or having a real theory of how everything came into being so... "if we had to pick something"... That's Intelligent Design. And the idea that we have to pick something is wrong. We don't. We can just say "I don't know" or "I don't know yet". Magical words. Instead, it's "if I had to guess... its probably the idea I was raised to believe", but the idea we were raised to believe is the same idea someone else was raised to believe and so on until someone just cooked up their own theory and someone else used that theory to gain influence and power.

If saw a group of criminals hanging from a spider web I'd be like... "is there actually someone dressed up like spider man, fighting crime?" But if I saw a group of criminals beat up outside the police station I wouldn't assume someone from another planet, a dying planet, came to earth as a baby and is now fighting crime with super powers. That explanation is more outlandish than the thing its trying to explain. And that's what Intelligent Design does. It offers a Creator as an explanation even though it is more outlandish than the things we're saying the Creator is responsible for doing.

I think Selassie's connection to this idea, isn't one of science, but one of hope. It's something he wants to be true in order to help build a better world full of love and peace.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 12/9/2019 10:59:05 PM

"A" creator vs "the" creator

A is non-specific. Typically, when Christians venture off into science its difficult to leave their Christianity behind because it is a bias.

That bias informs and influences what they might think in the same way that a racist police officer might be tempted to shoot a black suspect based on his bias against him. He's under this previously held idea that black people are bad.

Similarly speaking, in Creation vs Evolution, its easy for people with a belief in a specific creator to imagine a universe where that creator doesn't exist. They feel connected to him believes that he loves them. So denying this existence, even for a minute, is like denying Christ 3 times before the cock crows.

It's about loyalty.

So when science comes along and says, no we evolved, that bias comes out and searches for a way to implant the same idea of a loving God into that new scenario so that it doesn't intellectually threaten the relationship the person has with God or make it seem like the person was crazy for praying for so many years to a God that doesn't exist.

And so this is how we create the creator, imagining how he still existed, even when science says that's not how we got here.

Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 12/16/2019 8:07:32 AM

My favorite video on the "creator" subject.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 12/17/2019 11:34:23 AM

Thanks for posting this video. This is from one of my favorite youtube channels. Tons of great thought provoking videos.

Messenger: Jahcub I Sent: 12/20/2019 6:55:42 PM

IXPninja say, "This tells me a lot. It tells me he had a more "Intelligent Design" theory; speaking of "a" Creator, not necessarily prioritizing "the" Creator who was of a certain creation story, type, etc. Just "a" creator."

Selassie speak to and of the Creator always. When you read His speeches and His writings, you see Selassie giving thanks and praises and addressing the Creator Itinually.

Selassie say, "It is our conviction that all the activities of the children of men, which are not guided by the Spirit and council of God will bear no lasting fruits; they will not be acceptable in the sight of God. It will therefore come to naught as the tower of Babel came to naught. The grace of God is Eternal. Angels in Heaven and the Creation on Earth sing His Praise . We thank the Master of the world Almighty God. Power belongs to God. May God Our Creator, the Helper and Guiding Light of us all grant you His Wisdom that you may bear fruits for His Glory."

"Our Lord Jesus Christ says: "What has a man profited if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" Why did the effort of those who tried to build the Tower of Babel come to nothing? Was it not because they tried to live apart from their Creator, and because, vaunting themselves in their wisdom, they tried to build a tower whose top was to reach unto heaven and thus make a name for themselves? It is Our conviction that all the activities of the children of men which are not guided by the Spirit and counsel of God will bear no lasting fruit, they will not be acceptable in the sight of the Lord and will therefore come to nought as the Tower of Babel came to nought."

"Discipline of the mind is a basic ingredient of genuine morality and therefore of spiritual strength. Spiritual power is the eternal guide, in this life and the life after, for man ranks supreme among all creatures. Led forward by spiritual power, man can reach the summit destined for him by the Great Creator."

"Spiritual power is the eternal guide, in this life and the life after, for man ranks supreme among all creatures. Led forward by spiritual power, man can reach the summit destined for him by the Great Creator."

"May God our Creator, the Helper and guiding Light of us all, grant you His wisdom that your meeting may bear fruit for His glory. We sincerely wish you all success and pray that God may lead you to that unity which Christians all over the world eagerly await."

"We have always been religious, ever since childhood, ever since the day our father, Ras Makonnen, taught us the commandment of Our Lord the Creator. But we don't consider our religion alone valid and have granted the people the freedom to observe any religion they please."

1 - 6

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I