Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7202&start_row=41

Is Selassie God?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/22/2019 10:07:58 AM

I am that ganja smoking Jamaican

He is I personally

Please explain why you think I have mental health problems?

And yes I say Haile Selassie is the Almighty..... I say so without any apology or shame. InI are not afraid of any ridicule for that

If you don't agree or sight it same way or overstand then that's 100% fine with InI. No Rastafari begged you to join.

What is your religious belief if any what does God mean to you?

How annoying when people come to this website to ask question left right and centre about Rastafari business and beliefs and yet never share their own....

Messenger: The Nomad Sent: 10/22/2019 10:46:50 AM

Garveys, it's not up to me to prove Haile Selassie is/was/wasn't a God, as I'm not the one making the claims. You and your 'I'dren' are doing that.

So you prove that he was/is.

That's all I'm saying.

If you can't, which is clearly obvious, or you would have by now, then all I believe is, you're living a life in the smog of a fairytale and it's no wonder you continue to live backwardly should I add, as regards to your fellow human beings on this Earth crying BMS (black man syndrome) at every opportunity you can.

Messenger: Angel in Zion Sent: 10/22/2019 1:54:01 PM

Nomad you are on the wrong forum also. I can peep you and Hemphill a mile away. You do not want to understand, you want to peddle your view. Try changing yourself. You spiritual growth is a must to see Selassie. If you ponder and doubt and have negative thoughts toward Rasta you will never see what we are talking about. I grew up just after segregation. My family was wealthy so I grew up with white people. You are easily picked out because of your words. Why do you'all come here to mess with peaceful people and talk your foolishness. Herb is a part of that spirituality you are supposed to be cultivating. When his Majesty gave me visions of my past in Egypt, I noticed that in all that sand there were herb plants growing through the sand. That's how Moses communicated and that is how I communicate with him also. The herb plant was found on Solomon's grave. He shows me things to come and people that are finding the power of their light. If you do not meditate there is no way you will find the spiritual realm.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 10/22/2019 2:51:20 PM

Nomad,

in response to: 'The Whites' of today never created nothing Ninja. That's quite a statement you make.

Your view is limited. Do yourself a favor. Close your eyes and then open them. Tell me what you see. Do you see the Kurds? Did you personally do anything to them? Of course you haven't personally done anything. You're innocent. Right?

And by this same logic I was never a slave and therefore I shouldn't be able to tell you a story about how a coworker just last week got fired because he was black. You may be thinking, 'no, he couldn't have possibly been. You're just imagining that.' and I would understand if you thought that, if you think all whites are innocent and group dynamics don't exist or play any role in anything that happens. But he was asked to go to a trade show and he's a sales guy. He's on the phone all the time because that's his job. But a big customer saw him on his phone at the trade show (that he was asked to go to but wasn't really his job to be at) and decided to complain/police an employee of a totally different company. And because they had the power to influence, this black man was fired. Now you are innocent. You didn't do that. But someone else did and I guarantee you it wasn't a black person. And now this man suddenly doesn't have a job and probably doesn't have $5,000 in savings for this kind of scenario. He's just expected by society to always be able to bounce back and pick himself up by his bootstraps. Better luck next time.

White people never do anything wrong. They are always victims of someone crying foul. It's always everyone else's fault and responsibility. You're not responsible for US foreign policy. You're not responsible for US domestic policy. You're not responsible for anything, past, present, or future. You're innocent. You would never do such things. You don't know anyone who would. And there's nothing you could do to make things better for people who don't look like you.

Whenever black people are stereotyped and blamed it effects all of us. It's often the reason why white people visit sites like this, often to push their own ideas and "correct" black people with their superior knowledge and intellect.

And certainly, the forum at blackvisions.org wasn't taken over by racist hackers and trolls because racism is a thing of the past and black people need to hush up and work together with whites for the future and stop acting like victims. Right?

https://blackvisions.org/Community/

Whites aren't responsible for anything that happens to black people. Especially when black people are getting the police called on them for just basic things like working, driving, cooking, swimming, having a meeting at star bucks, mowing a lawn, selling lemonade, falling asleep in a library, trying to get into your own house when the door is jammed, pumping gas, calling your mom in a hotel lobby, playing with a toy gun, playing video games with their nephew, and the list goes on and on.

And of course I as a man, shoulder the responsibility for the historic treatment of women to the degree that I can make sure that I condemn patriarchal misogyny and intellectually contest and debate the ideas that contribute to it. There are men today who devalue women because they believe the bible. I could be like you and claim no responsibility for what other men do, but if the whole world simply sat back, sat on the sidelines, while humanity destroyed itself in so many ways... what would life be like for anyone?

When my kids make a mess do you really think I care exactly which one did what? No... they all need to clean up the house if they expect me to take them some place. In other words, they have to learn to be responsible for more than just themselves. Because where were the rest when this mess was made? Were they in some other house? Were they some other kids siblings? Were they some other man's daughters and son? NO. Because I also have to clean up after them when they don't there's no way I'm going to allow them to simply say "I didn't do it." Miss me with that logic.

Man up. Woman up. Whatever you may be. Be that. But don't cry foul when you are treated a certain way as a group when, as a group, you've done something wrong; especially when your group has wronged another group over and over and over and over and over again. Because you don't cry foul, as an individual, when you get the benefits of being part of that group. Power comes with responsibility. If you don't want that power, cool, give it here. Give it to us. We'll take it. We will be responsible for it. We will use it with no apologies for the benefit of mankind and the planet we call home. If you don't want it, give it. Puff puff pass.

You don't want to do anything to stop racism or confront other whites who have racist ideas? You want to come here and tell us what's wrong with us instead of addressing the 2x4 in the eye of your own brother or sister? But if we came to your web sites people would cry about how innocent they are. Why don't you go take down one of those nazi websites? Why don't you confront the ideas of the alt right and white nationalists? How do you have so much time on your hands that you tell another group of people how wrong you think they are? How wrong are you?

With power comes responsibility. While whites chant "white power" the truth is they already have it. But the majority of that power is in the hands of wealthy whites. The rest of us are competing for about 2% of the wealth in America while the richest 1% own half the wealth in the whole world. And if you, with the white power and privilege you have can go without even feeling this benefit then what hope does the poor black kid have whose father was locked up or killed because a white person thought he was up to no good? How many black men have gotten evidence planted on them just to support an arrest?

Give me the power and let me fix this. Give me the power and I will take away racism. I'll start locking up racists and put laws in place that punish false arrests, both the arresting officer and the person who not so innocently called the police. I'll make it easier to sue racists and make sure they get majority black juries. I'll make sure my people have opportunities but I'll lock up the ones who abuse the opportunities they have. But I'll also rehabilitate people and make sure they can survive outside of jails and prisons. And that's just the beginning. Give us the power that you clearly do not want. Let us be responsible for what America does around the world.

Not going to shoot your shot? Pass the damn ball!

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 10/22/2019 2:53:55 PM

Nomad: So you prove that he was/is.

This question is intellectually disingenuous and you know it.

But the problem is with your definition of God. You want other people to use YOUR understanding in how THEY define "God".

Do you not see the problem with that?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/22/2019 3:49:40 PM

Nomad

I have proved categorically that Haile Selassie I is the Almighty.

If you don't see it then that's not my business. Some things are too highly complex to be grasped and understood by the 85%

Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 10/23/2019 4:14:18 AM

He is just talking about basic logic with the "burden of proof" thing. I can make the claim that my dog speaks French, which is fine. The problem comes when I ask others to believe it. If I have no proof, there is no reason why they should. Any who have "faith" that it is true have accepted my claim for STUPID reasons. The time to believe something is when sufficient evidence has been provided for that thing.

You haven't really defined it, you just assert that it can't be defined. Ok then, Selassie just is what Selassie is. What is Selassie? I sure as hell don't know. Ask any Rasta on this forum, they probably won't know either. So we can't even get past step 1 to investigate this claim. Step one is what do you believe, step 2 is why should others believe it. "I believe in almighty" is NOT an answer, you don't even pretend to have defining traits for what an "almighty" is, you just assert it without any reason or evidence.

So what this says to me is: others shouldn't believe it, it's only for those deluded few. People who have a weak methodology for filtering out bad information. I struggle to find a single reason in this thread why anyone should accept the claims being made.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 10/23/2019 12:14:25 PM

@carter blunt

I already defined it.

God is an English word. The Hebrew word translated to God, I repeat, is "El, Eloah, Elohim". El=power. Elohim = powers(plural) or powerful(singular intensive).

Because of the original Hebrew definition this word was also applied to judges and kings. In other words it was NEVER reserved strictly for deity.

The same is true for the Hebrew word "adonai"

Look at how it reads in English

1 A Psalm of David. The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Now look again, using the Linked Word Project

http://www.linkedword.com/ps/110/-110/0

If you click on LORD you see the original word is the tetragrammaton, YHWH while the second Lord is adon.

Now if you clicked on "Lord" and look at the definitions you see who that word can be applied to.

Now back up to Psalms 99

http://www.linkedword.com/ps/99/-99/0

click on God in verse 5. Look at the Hebrew word and its definitions.

Transliteration:
'elohiym {el-o-heem'}
Word Origin:
plural of 433
TWOT:
93c
Part of Speech:
noun masculine
Usage in the KJV:
God 2346, god 244, judge 5, GOD 1, goddess 2, great 2, mighty 2, angels 1, exceeding 1, God-ward 04136 1, godly 1

Total: 2606
Definition:
(plural)
rulers, judges
divine ones
angels
gods
(plural intensive - singular meaning)
god, goddess
godlike one
works or special possessions of God
the (true) God
God

See? The same word that was used of the "the (true) God" is the same word used for someone who is "godlike", same word for rulers, judges, etc. because it is simply about power. So to the extent that Selassie is revered for his wisdom and power he fits the description of the original Hebrew word that the biblical authors used. If you disagree it is because YOU are using the English word "God" differently from how the Hebrew version was used.

But let's go even further. Let's google the English word "God" and see what it says.

https://www.google.com/search?q=god+definition&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS827US827&oq=God+defini&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.2102j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

NOTE: You must hit the down arrow for "more definitions" if you only see 2.

God
/ɡ;äd/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: God; noun: god; plural noun: gods; plural noun: the gods
1.(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
2.(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.
"a moon god"
Similar:
deity
goddess
divine being
celestial being
supreme being
divinity
immortal
creator
demiurge
godhead
daemon
numen
an image, idol, animal, or other object worshiped as divine or symbolizing a god.
Similar:
idol
graven image
icon
golden calf
totem
talisman
fetish
mascot
juju
used as a conventional personification of fate.
"he dialed the number and, the gods relenting, got through at once"
3.an adored, admired, or influential person.
"he has little time for the fashion victims for whom he is a god"
a thing accorded the supreme importance appropriate to a god.
"don't make money your god"
4.INFORMAL
the gallery in a theater.

Do you see definition #3? Based on this definition can you or Nomad or anyone else honestly say Selassie isn't? I just showed you in 2 languages that he is. So Rastafarians are correct and absolutely okay. It is the insinuation Rastas are wrong that's biased and incorrect. Do you see?

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 10/23/2019 1:26:23 PM

Carter: He is just talking about basic logic with the "burden of proof" thing. I can make the claim that my dog speaks French, which is fine. The problem comes when I ask others to believe it.

Also, this is false equivalence.

If you said "I BELIEVE my dog speaks French" you don't have to prove it because it is a belief. We can judge your belief as unlikely. But unless the dog chooses to start talking we cannot actually disprove it because it is up to the dog to cooperate with the question and the dog doesn't have to cooperate. You can't say the dog doesn't speak French because you can't prove that negative. Everyone knows dogs understand human speech which means a French dog owner speaks French to their dog and their dog has to distinguish commands in French. Now can a dog say "merci beaucoup"? Not likely, but how can you prove it? You could say that most dogs can't because their vocal cords don't allow them to produce certain sounds.

The point is that you're assuming that one dog cannot speak because dogs in general haven't been known to do so.

With the question of God it is extremely disingenuous to ask a person to prove that God is X. This assumes a few things. It assumes their understanding of God is the same as yours; some kind of alien supernatural deity. It also assumes God is a species that you can know. It also assumes that you know God well enough to say who is or isn't, can or can't be God. Moreover you are fundamentally inserting your own claim of fact in place of a person's "Stated BELIEF". It is a matter of fact that Selassie is a god according to the definitions of the word in 2 both Hebrew and English as I showed in my previous post. But it may be a matter of BELIEF for some rastas where Selassie may be god based on a different understanding which not everyone shares. And that understanding could be a confusion created by European influence and the reason I say European is because specifically Europeans judged a lot of indigenous people's religion as being barbaric, savage, etc. based on partially on the idea of polytheism which they believed to be or understood to be in reference to actual alien beings rather than how THOSE people defined these things. Gods and goddesses were NOT always literal "persons". But instead of stopping to think about how they viewed them they just judged according to their own intolerant views.

So when it comes to the views of some we are talking about belief and if it could be proven it wouldn't be a belief. That's why no Christian can ever prove that Jesus is who they believe he is. Jews cannot prove Yahweh is who they believe he is, etc. No one can. But you can say Buddha is a revered person and therefore fits the description of a god. While capital G, God, is typically only a reference to the god of the bible. You can't magically insert that same logic into other religions and be like "who's your God?" There is only one "God" which is why its capitalized. And that's according to belief, not fact. So no one can prove it as such. Therefore asking if Selassie is God (capital G) is asking if Selassie is Yahweh or Jah.

Wikipedia:
Rastafari use the terms "Jah" or sometimes "Jah Jah" as a term for the Lord God of Israel and/or Haile Selassie, who some Rastafarians regard as the incarnation of the God of the Old Testament or as the reincarnation of Jesus Christ, who is also known by the Ethiopian title Janhoy

Note: it says the same thing I said. "some" Rastafarians believe Selassie is an incarnation of Jah. However, this is based on biblical interpretation; the same kind that some Christians utilize to confuse Jesus for Yahweh, believing Jesus is the true Creator. Can they prove that? Of course not. Christians can't even prove to Jews that Jesus is even a lesser being because they can't even prove to Jews that Jesus is the messiah. Guess why not? Because he wasn't.

No matter what people believe, if they could prove it, it wouldn't be belief anymore. It would be knowledge. But religions aren't about knowledge. They're about belief and harnessing the power of belief in order to achieve and to build the tools and character to develop one's self spiritually and walk that road to Zion where the human approaches the divine seeking oneness. We can all use different terms in this endeavor but it changes nothing.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/23/2019 2:55:17 PM

You will be hard pressed to find any primary dictionary definitions of God which doesn't associate the word sound with Christianity. You cannot seperate the two

Which is why the word sound God iis inappropriate for InI none Christian Rastafari. So the question is Selassie God is simply a poor question to ask.

This is literally like asking a Muslim is Mohammad God, or equating the Kemetic deities as God's etc. Which is a common demonstration of the projected ignorance of most Christian minded people

By using the word God you are evoking a Christian perspective and Eurocentric perspective whether you realise it or not

Selassie I being described as God is Not a defining point for InI as Rastafari as there are Many atheist Rastafari. This is a trod of LIVITY not belief, with His Majesty as our central rallying point.

Muslims do not need to prove to I as a non Muslim, why Allah should be praised. So why do InI have to prove what Selassie means to InI, to anybody else? Of ALL things surely this is 1 thing that is personal to the individual?

The problem in this thread is with the question not the answers. Do not ask a basic question and expect anything other than a basic answer

So is Selassie God?

Yes. As a person of 'supreme importance' to InI as per meriam Webster 3rd and 4th definitions and as per a subjective interpretation of the 1st definition:

Definition of god (Entry 1 of 2)
1capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: such as
a: the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
bChristian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
2: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship
specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
Greek gods of love and war
3: a person or thing of supreme value
had photos of baseball's gods pinned to his bedroom wall
4: a powerful ruler
Hollywood gods that control our movies' fates

But as I have said. The problem is with the question being poor. Before it is answered one should be encouraged to explore the different meanings of God, the origin of the word, and how different societies view their deities and royalty differently from the typical judeochristian or western perspective... And how beliefs and ideologies can differ from Rastafari to Rastafari and why beliefs are not the defining point of InI trod

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I