Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7195&start_row=1

What if Human Reproduction took 3 times longer?

1 - 1011 - 12
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 10/4/2019 10:50:00 AM

Knowing our history, would humans have made it to the year 2020 if it took 3 times longer to reproduce?

All opinions welcome. Let's discuss.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 10/5/2019 12:22:41 AM

Brother Ninja, is this question relating to the gestation time being 3x longer? Or the female ovulation cycle taking 3x longer? Or the male sperm production taking 3x longer? I think the answer to the hypothetical question would depend on the specific aspect of reproduction in question.

Messenger: The Nomad Sent: 10/5/2019 7:38:42 PM

Bear in mind we still haven't made it yet but if I'm getting your question properly Ninja, I think the obvious answer would be yes although if this time-lapse meant people lived three times longer in their lives, this coming 2020 the human race would hold three times as much wisdom which looking around the world today, wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 10/5/2019 10:22:42 PM

Already pushing my limit at 2 minutes, don't think I can handle 6.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/6/2019 2:01:05 AM

Fittest of the fittest

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 10/7/2019 4:27:19 AM

True Garvey's Africa, I think that is the general answer to the question, no matter what the specifics would be of that scenario. If human reproduction had always been that way (3x longer than it is now) then no one would know the difference, and it would just be normal.

On another note, Dr. Llaila Afrika talks in his book African Holistic Health about the natural reproduction of humans. He says some interesting things that are contrary to how humans currently behave sexually and experience reproduction. 1) That humans are supposed to engage in sexual intercourse during the day, not at night. Because humans are not nocturnal, and other mammals mate during the day, he says that humans are disrupting their hormones by engaging in sex during the night hours. 2) That women are not supposed to menstruate. He calls it hemorraging, and says that it has nothing to do with ovulation. He claims that the hemorraging is caused by imbalances such as the one mentioned above. 3) That the female ovulation cycle used to be synced to the sun, not the moon. That there was a time before the moon was in Earth's area, and that during this time women did not hemorrage, and that the cycle was a different length than it is now that the moon is affecting women. 4) That human reproduction is only supposed to occur once every three years. That women would devote the time after birth to feeding their new child, not engaging in sex with the man, until the three year mark (three years after conception of the child, as I gather). Then, as a community, all of the couples would mate again, and therefore all of the children in the community would be roughly of an age group with each other, all of them come of age at the same time, etc. This is the relevance of the group initiations and ceremonies.
I'm not sure how true any of those statements are, just sharing the words of the teacher because they are relevant to this thread's original question, especially the last point.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 10/7/2019 10:15:35 AM

@JAH Child

very interesting information. I love hearing new things like that. One of the reason why I ask hypothetical questions because it's good mental exercise.

The question in the OP is 3x gestation period from impregnation to delivery. That is the only thing extended. So you may not even feel the early signs of pregnancy until 3x the norm. You wouldn't look 9mo pregnant at 9 months but rather 27 months. The baby wouldn't be any bigger or "older". The biological processes in this scenario simply take 3 times longer to happen. And to clarify, this isn't a sudden change like with "The Handmaid's Tale". This would a change from the beginning. What would the world look like if you simply changed this one variable?

The question could be taken in a number of different directions. There are no wrong answers. But mentally, I'm always chasing a Utopian reality so I'm mostly thinking about how this change would affect society.

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 10/7/2019 11:29:33 AM

"But mentally, I'm always chasing a Utopian reality"

Yes I, me too.

Messenger: The Nomad Sent: 10/7/2019 8:02:19 PM

"What would the world look like if you simply changed this one variable?"

These are the things you think about and get the answer to after a smoke of herb, though the answers leave your mind as quickly as they entered, it's almost as if we are not ready to know yet. ;

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 10/8/2019 11:59:27 AM

I don't need to smoke to think about such things. Smoking doesn't actually inspire thought. It just quiets the mind so that you can focus on whatever thoughts and questions you already have within you.

Smoking herb is simply a way to help bring yourself into a deeper meditative state. It shouldn't be something you need or rely on.

1 - 1011 - 12

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I