Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7183&start_row=1

Modesty question

1 - 1011 - 15
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Sister1 Sent: 8/22/2019 5:39:04 AM

I know that Rasta is free of needing every eye’s approval. Some are Christian, some are not (some Christian abide by Word, some do not).

The question I have is, do Rasta adhere to an exterior/interior modesty? It is seen as part of Judaism and Islam, it is written in the Bible*, do Rasta observe this also, in its application to women, though also to man in his presentation / conduct / way of life?

* e.g. Proverbs 31, Timothy 2:9, 1 Peter 3:3-4

Gratitude and respect to any that reply.

Messenger: Chalice Sent: 8/22/2019 5:29:34 PM

I know his majesty adhered to the bible. Thus true rastas would also as they follow the teachings of his majesty. I'm not entirely sure of your question sister, but that's my fault, not yours. In the question of the way the Islamic religious men treat their woman that doesn't feel right to me. I feel they are treated as second class humans and no god of love would want that for his idren.

Messenger: RasTafarIWork Sent: 8/24/2019 6:50:16 PM

Greetings,
Sister1, these selected verses, powerful reasonings.
Humility comes before honor, and modesty before majesty.
Love is the guide.
1 love.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 8/25/2019 3:34:54 AM

Greetings Sister
Love of His and Her Majesty RasTafarI

Yes I agree with RasTafariWork.
Modesty in everything. Not only in covering Iself, in wearing unrevealing clothing, but also in being close to nature, not wearing gaudy clothing, not valuing expensive brands over practical ones. Valuing a small clean home with large land to plant crops rather than a mansion with many fancy rooms. Modesty also in speech and actions. Not acting lude, maintaining privacy.
It has taken a long time to learn some of these principles, and others I was born with. As we shed the expectations of modern society and look within ourselves, we find our naturality to be the heights of our glory, and that we don't need flashy clothes or lifestyle, we don't need attention from outsiders, to have confidence in ourselves.

Selah

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 9/1/2019 9:37:43 AM

Izes,

Whilst modesty can be CULTURALLY defined, it is also subject to environmental and religious factors.

Yes, INI as Rastafari Empresses, as natural women, choose to dress ourselves in royal attire, befitting a Queen. And as sistren Jah Child so eloquently mentioned, our definition of "royal" is not according to western ("Babylon") standards of beauty/fashion or brand names.

That being said...something to consider:

Whilst INI celebrate modesty, I would not in turn look down upon or judge indigenous women that may be bare breasted or barely clothed from a religious or "moral" (subjective) viewpoint either. She is not less a daughter of Creation or Afrikan Queen as she who lives in a male dominated and patriarchal society which holds a very perverse, demeaning and violent view of womanhood, forcing her to cover herself.

It is not a women's divinely created body that is sinful or lustful (therefore covered), but the eyes (mindset) looking upon her which must be questioned. For that indigenous sistah need not fear rape or violence because she is blessed to live among people who view her from a natural state of mind, unpolluted by western and/or religious high so called moral ground. Whilst a fully covered woman in the west is still vulnerable to violence and sexual assault.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 9/2/2019 2:26:01 AM

Greetings + Love Rastagoddess!
Yes I definitely agree with that. In a perfect world, modesty would not be a concern, because lustful thoughts and actions would not occur.

What about breastfeeding in public (even in western culture)? Is it appropriate to show your breast(s) while feeding your child in public?
For me, I think it is along the same lines as the indigenous cultures. In a perfect world, it would definitely not be a problem, but it might be in such a sex-obsessed culture. A natural part of life becomes a shocking attention grabber. I would love to say that I would breastfeed my child in public without any covering, but in reality I think I probably would get uncomfortable if unknown men were around, and especially if their eyes were on me. I applaud women who do breastfeed openly, and I think it is a beautiful thing that doesn't need to be shamed or hidden. But still I wonder how they and their husbands feel about eyes and thoughts of others being on their breasts.
Womban and men, what are your thoughts and experiences on that?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 9/2/2019 4:01:03 AM

I King lived as a King. Ipreme. Sovereign.

He had many flash cars
Big mansion
Expensive clothing

By the definition this isn't modest.

I man seek to live as a King and reclaim I Royal habits. No man can come tell I to live modest. I man humble I man wise I man natural I man black ipreme. But modest? No sa. I come to reclaim Everything that is due to I. Unapologetically

Folly to believe Rasta is to live poor and small up small up in babylon

Rasta to be enRICHED spiritually physically and financially

To acknowledge one's Ipremacy is directly at odds with being modest

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 9/2/2019 8:52:42 AM

Greetings sistren,

Good question. For I, it applies same way. Had I been raised in an indigenous society, this reasoning would never be. However, since I raised my children in the West, I breastfed my children ANYWHERE they needed to be fed....modestly. A simple piece of fabric, or baby blanket (or head wrap if needed LOL) draped over the mother's shoulder and voila! Problem solved. Everyone's happy...

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 9/2/2019 9:11:22 AM

AWO!!!!! Yes brotha Garveys! I hear you loud and clear! LOL!

To I, modesty doesn't necessarily equate to poverty, financial status, acquisitions or material possessions. Modesty, as it applies to this particular reasoning, meaning how much of a women's body should (or shouldn't) be covered and whether acceptable depending on what culture or society she lives in, and how that applies to Rasta women.

His Majesty's financial status allowed for the finest of material wealth. Yes. Naturally so. Befitting an Ancient Royal line. But allow me to suggest that his material possessions did not solely define His character. A man's wisdom and modesty of character is never weighed against material wealth.

Had I been born within a royal family, i might rock the finest of silks rather then cotton, or a jeweled crown rather then a head wrap...LOL!

Either way, this here goddess, in silk or cotton, jeweled or butt naked, remain of modest and humble character. But don't get it twisted, I'll "modestly" grap a machete and chop heads when necessary.

😁;

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 9/4/2019 3:25:24 AM

Heart of Love Garvey I and RastaGoddess

Garvey I see what the I is saying and on one hand it makes sense to me. Living in the highest quality of life IS what is due. No one should live in poverty, and I definitely wasn't equating poverty with modesty. But I also was extending the idea of modesty beyond only what a womban wears and how she covers her body. I do think modesty in living is important. At least as in, doing more for the betterment of others than doing for the self. And His Majesty also exemplified this. Even the big mansion His Majesty had was donated to students as a university. What resources you have will determine how you balance the personal luxuries with the outpouring of charity or assistance to others. Because His Majesty has more resources, he can do more of both. For I, with less resources, I can do less of both. But I will focus on giving to others rather than giving to myself.

Empress RastaGoddess the I's reply about breastfeeding is what I think I would do also. Feed wherever I am, but also cover. Still I don't think there is anything wrong with breastfeeding without the cover. The same as there is nothing wrong with nudity. It is only in the eyes of people with a twisted mentality that all of it becomes anything other than natural. Unfortunately those people are all around, so it's better for I to cover and "be modest". In a perfect world it would not be necessary...

1 - 1011 - 15

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I