Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7182&start_row=1

Lets have a good reasoning about this.

1 - 1011 - 17
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Chalice Sent: 8/17/2019 12:16:25 AM

What exactly are your views on cultural missapropriation? An analogy of this could consist of - where any human being from any race might grow dreadlocks and grow them for a reason or just for because they want dreadlocks.. Does this have to be with only Africans and roots can we grow the dread, or can any culture or creed just grow if they bloody want them.

Another complete farce for me is when a fairly new member of the moderating team decides to close and end threads he doesnt like but what about the rest of us who want to reason..Is it going to be possible to reason anymore?

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 8/19/2019 12:46:47 AM

Dreadlocks is just hair. What hair is though?

You Cant appropriate something that is intrinsically you

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 8/19/2019 1:02:13 PM

Culture is more than just hair

Foolishness will always be filtered out and has always been

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 8/20/2019 2:17:35 AM

Wolves in sheep's clothing. Claiming to be something that you are not. Profiting off of a culture that you are not a part of. Speaking or teaching about a culture, as if you have authority, true knowledge, and experiance of the livity of that culture when you don't.

Thievery and misrepresentation, that is how I view cultural misappropriation.

And give thanks for the filtering. Purification. Rasta burn out the impurities, like silver tried in a furnace 7 times.

Jah Love and Guidance
May Jah bless InI with wisdom
RasTafarI

Messenger: Chalice Sent: 8/21/2019 12:27:45 PM

@ jesse. I understand fully that hair is just hair..can I use an analagoy please back in 1985/86 i started to the grow the dreads. my parents didnt like it,my school didnt like it but i liked it. i was telling the world that i was anti capatialist, i believed in the use of maruijuana as a sacrament, i was full hearted rasta where as i believed in h.i.m as a prophet and a man of very wise words that i could identify with. i was white in complexion. his majesty did not hold that against me. I would love to ask why do black people hold it against me?

Ive been rasta ever since..just because i'm white it's foolish not to accept a white man.Just ask the teachings of his majesty.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 8/21/2019 5:26:35 PM

That's too much of a general statement to say black people hold it against you.

Many of us simply do not acknowledge white Rastafari in OUR revelation and definition as Rastafari as a black redemptive trod born out of a necessity for peace and justice and self reparation after several generations of oppression.... As opposed to a choice born only out of philosophy or music or religion or general rebelliousness. Out of somewhere much more dark and emerging as black ipremacy.

However

That shouldn't affect you.

Forward and do you.

I don't see why anyone would hold it against you to live by the teachings of His Majesty no matter what label we call it. Better you live that way then live as a demon.

Live up and stop worry about fitting in and other people's opinions

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 9/1/2019 8:57:22 AM

What does cultural appropriation mean?

Cultural appropriation is the act of adopting elements of an outside, often minority culture, including knowledge, practices, and symbols, without understanding or respecting the original experience, culture and context.

Jah People: the cultural hybridity of white Rastafarians. By M. Loadenthal

"While Rastafari has maintained much of its original flavor, migration, globalization and a reinterpretation of philosophical dogma has created a space for white people to join this typically black movement.

Cultural hybridity, the idea that all cultures are composed of elements and influences of other cultures, can be clearly seen in white Rastas’ defiance towards traditional racial roles. While we hold Rastafarian culture in one hand, and white culture in the other, we can clearly see two distinct cultures. But what happens when a white person interacts with a culture that is not their norm? How has Rastafarian thought evolved as to allow whites a role in their movement? What does a culture of white Rastafarians look and feel like? These questions will be explored in the proceeding pages, and it will be argued that the creation of a white, Rastafarian, hybridized culture was made possible through globalization, the deterritoria­lization of Rastafari, and an inherent fluidity found in Rastafari."

Source/Link:

https://www.glocalismjournal.net/issues/hybridity/articles/jah_people_the_cultural_hybridity_of_white_rastafarians.kl

Messenger: Chalice Sent: 9/1/2019 11:25:19 AM

R/G and G/A tell that to haile selasssie.coz i love king selasssie.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 9/2/2019 3:57:33 AM

Why rope I in

Did you misread my post

Do you and stop seeking validation from InI black ipreme you do not need to be a valid member of I personal trod

Jus live up

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 9/4/2019 2:58:53 PM

There are real examples of cultural misappropriation out there. Rachel Dolezal was a poster child for it. However, dread locks is a style. Bald is also a style. Straight hair is also a style.

Each style can be done for different reasons. Maybe the guy has a "5 head" or a woman is fighting cancer or alopecia. Are black women trying to look white when they straighten their hair? Asian women have naturally straight hair too. And all of this came out of Africa: the bald, the straight, the curly, and the locks.

People cut their hair for different reasons, some perhaps religious. People grew their hair for different reasons, some perhaps religious. But you can't say that a person with a long beard is trying to look religious or take something from someone who is. These styles, you will probably find, predate the religious context that we associate with them. So how can it be appropriation from religion if religion didn't invent the style?

We should never assume that everyone with locks was following a religious ordination or vow. And if something looks good people will copy it. Some lead. Others follow. Bringing race into it is unnecessary. If you think people are copying you, let them. If a slave had marks on his back and a white boy wanted to copy it because he thought it looked cool, I'd let him and even volunteer to help. Because through that symbol he might get to know me, like me, love me, just a little bit better. And if that keeps us from fighting then it was a symbol even more powerful than either of us thought.

There is and should be no copyright on cool. If a white dude wants to rock a bone in his nose, I say go for it. If it looks good on him then more power to him. If, when they see him, other people think of people who don't look like him, then the memory of those people have been, in part, kept alive by him. And they will never truly die as long as people follow them or copy them.

A lot of white folk love reggae. If they wanted to copy for some nefarious purpose then it would be that purpose that I would be against. But if they love reggae and they want locks like Bob Marley then they are only helping to spread the ideas of Bob Marley out to the four corners of the world wherever they go. When you are a light you make other people a light too. So don't be mad at the people spreading the light or be jealous and say that's your light.

The point and purpose of light is to be seen.

selah

1 - 1011 - 17

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I