Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7182&start_row=11

Lets have a good reasoning about this.

1 - 1011 - 17
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 9/5/2019 5:21:29 AM

A lot of white folk love reggae. If they wanted to copy for some nefarious purpose then it would be that purpose that I would be against. But if they love reggae and they want locks like Bob Marley then they are only helping to spread the ideas of Bob Marley out to the four corners of the world wherever they go. When you are a light you make other people a light too. So don't be mad at the people spreading the light or be jealous and say that's your light.
- bredda XP

The theory is sound
I don't believe the practicality to be a reality

Common contraversial problem:

The white reggae scene. Those who DONT have nefarious intent often don't realise that despite the good intent; they still may yield nefarious results

The reggae pot in terms of business is not infinite. Your foreign appropriation of an original black musical business may literally thin indigenous opportunity as the resources spread... and therefore take food from the mouth of the poor black man (domicile on a former slave plantation island) with a 1 drop beat, rhymebook and a prayer.

In certain cases the problem with appropriation may be separate to any problem with the intention

I have met many white Rastafari who it could be argued are culturally appropriating... Many of which I do not believe have joined this trod with any negative Intentions.. Only to live by Jah word. However again I have long maintained that even this scenario can have a negative impact on the culture which originated the very ting. I will never understate the value of significance of identifying Rastafari as a "black safe space" as opposed to a shared space... On the psyche of young black people and children in the process of finding themselves.
The negative impact of the white influx of Rastafari, independent of anyone's intentions whether good or bad, is the loss of that black space which many including I will argue is a necessary space

Blessed I

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 9/6/2019 4:02:36 PM

I feel you but when I created my post I wasn't even thinking about white reggae artists. Here in America a lot of black people wear dreads without any connection to Rastafari; simply because it is a natural hair style.

Now when it comes to white reggae artists and there are some decent ones out there I have to admit... but often what happens is that they introduce reggae to a new crop of Europeans who get into it through them but are not limited to one artist. They want to hear more just like the way Pandora works. If you truly love reggae you might be more attracted to a certain style but even then you're going to be somewhat open to other forms whether it's roots, dancehall, or other.

Often these white guys will perform classic reggae songs with a band. In my hometown we just had our annual reggae festival in Dayton, Ohio. Sizzla didn't come to Dayton, he was near my cousin in Canada. And Sizzla probably isn't coming to Dayton anytime soon. But who most likely organized this event?

this dude.
http://www.seefari.com/SEEFARI%20photos.htm

He wasn't the only act though so in other words he basically put food in the mouths of other artists who were also in the line up and of course everyone had the opportunity to sell their music. So this is just one, very recent (last weekend) example, of how appropriation can open doors that our people can walk through. I'm not saying that what you're saying can't also happen or isn't true, but I know there are other cases where it is mutually beneficial. Now... if they were to somehow take it over or do to reggae what Europeans have done to rap then that's on us not to allow that to happen. But that's not even about who's performing it but rather who's producing and distributing, agents and labels, etc.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 9/7/2019 7:28:10 AM

When black people dread their hair who do not subscribe to a Rastafari way of life...they are not culturally appropriating. Couldn't tell if you were or were not saying this

Rastafari wear dread because InI acknowledge dread as a natural African warrior come original look. From Kemet to Mau Mau. The ghetto youths in the west who wear dread and don't know Jah largely do it for similar reasons.... They want to rebel against babylon comb and scissor in a natural ragamuffin form. Dread. We don't succumb to your system. Dread. Black ipreme. Happily digressed

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 9/7/2019 8:56:20 PM

I thought Rastas wore dreadlocks primarily based on the Nazarite priesthood, similar to Samson.

http://ragingrootsstudio.com/the-history-of-dreadlocks/

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 9/8/2019 7:27:44 AM

We wore locs thousands of years before biblical characters...

Ancient Afrikan tradition

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 9/9/2019 2:54:56 PM

As, black people yes...

as Rastafarians, no.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 9/10/2019 8:35:11 AM

Rastafari don't wear dread because of Bible. That justification among many was an afterthought in retrospect after already standing with dreadlocks. It was the sight of the Mau Mau and connection with a natural perspective, an ancient African anti establishment outward expression of culture

Rastafari = Ancient African tradition

1 - 1011 - 17

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I