Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7135&start_row=1

Something of value and other videos

1 - 1011 - 13
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: RasTafarIWork Sent: 3/25/2019 11:57:14 PM

Simba 1955, Something of Value 1957, Lion of the Desert 1981, Gandhi 1982, Cry Freedom 1987, The Kitchen Toto 1988, Amistad 1997,...

Messenger: RasTafarIWork Sent: 3/26/2019 7:38:28 PM

Films on history and heritage, fiction and real, the plight of the 1 way of life. The contest for resources. Starrs from other 1 come in earnerst ease the struggle in no position to avert immediate tragedies. Any victory is not final. The cause of the 1 be right, the means employed be desperetly old fashioned. Change. There is renewed hope for survival at the end.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 3/26/2019 9:18:06 PM

Rastafari Love
Give thankhs for the suggestions Idren RasWork.
I am looking up these films, some of them are harder to find than others. Any tips on where to locate the more rare ones (Simba, The Kitchen Toto)?

As for film suggestions, maybe the I&I&I already know about these, but just to put them on the list for ones who havent seen them yet:

+Sankofa 1993
+Sarafina! 1992
+Life and Debt 2001
+Rockers 1978 (my personal favorite movie of all time)
+Daughters of the Dust 1991

Messenger: RasTafarIWork Sent: 3/27/2019 12:23:20 PM

Give thankhs, JAH Child, I wasn't aware of most of the films you listed, am grateful that you did.
The only film I've watched before is Sarafina! 1992, I'll find the others listed. Most of these can be found on torrent sites such as thepiratebay. Unfortunately, the only film I've not locate are Simba 1955 and The Kitchen Toto 1988.

Messenger: RasTafarIWork Sent: 3/29/2019 9:30:17 AM

Give thanks for the list Jah Child, i find them Afrocentric, better than my list.
To get into the mindset of the imperialist, stories narrated by Something of Value, Robinson Crusoe and The speech by Willie Lynch come in handy.

Messenger: burningbush Sent: 3/29/2019 4:38:02 PM

ok bless ini jah jah. From ermias sahlee. Chant down supremacy. Rasta love is the truth and yeah its mikey i love rocky dawuni do the I. Love is the savior.

Messenger: burningbush Sent: 3/29/2019 4:38:20 PM

ok bless ini jah jah. From ermias sahlee. Chant down supremacy. Rasta love is the truth and yeah its mikey i love rocky dawuni do the I. Love is the savior.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 3/30/2019 9:39:11 PM

Yes RasWork
There are so many films showing the european perspective of African heroes or events.
Such as the Shaka Zulu miniseries and especially the movie made afterwards, The Citadel. Which has a lot of interesting and possibly educational aspects, including using the Zulu language, but has a very strange feeling when it comes to the glorification of the white womban in the movie, I forget her name, and the way Shaka seems to embrace christianity and white settlers at the end of the movie. A drastic difference from his treatment of his own blood relations (his father) and other Black tribes that he slaughters in the end of the miniseries. So that shows some very strange discrepancies that I doubt are true to reality.

I havent yet watched all of the films the I listed, and as the I mentioned I havent been able to find Simba or The Kitchen Toto. But I did watch Cry Freedom. I thought it was interesting how the white man is the focus of the film, his heroics in support of Steve Biko. It is his perspecive of the story and I guess that is why he is the focus. But Biko dies literally halfway through the movie, the rest is all about the white family and everything they do to get out of South Africa to tell the story about Biko. Which I am sure was a risk just as the movie portrays, I am not downplaying that. It's not a bad movie. Just not a movie from Biko's perspective. It does, however, in showing Biko's explanation to the white reporter, make clear the difference in motivation between white supremacy and Black supremacy, and the fact that "Black first" doesnt mean hatred of whites. Which, considering the reasonings on this forum recently, is worth noting.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 3/31/2019 12:39:43 AM

Great suggestions sistren! Give thanks!

Here’s a few to add to the pot:

Rabbit Proof Fence
Quilombo
Do The Right Thing
Malcolm X
Bamboozled
The Journey of The Lion
Lumumba (by Raoul Peck)
Otelo Burning (by Sara Blecher)

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/31/2019 7:07:15 AM