Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7082&start_row=11

Death of reggae

1 - 1011 - 12
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 9/10/2019 12:53:18 AM

I think what he meant with dancehall vs reggae isnt that reggae artists are not free to make music for people to dance to. But that infact, people dance to roots music, dub music in the dance halls same way as the slack fast tempo music. So if they all get played in dancehalls and all make people dance...why is one named so and not the others?

Reggae is uniquely difficult to label.
For example with rap music - you could argue that the old old days of an MC shouting over a DJ's breakbeats in a club while not particularly rhyming isn't rap. You could argue that modern autotuned melodic verses on trap beats isn't rap and is more RnB. However all would fall under the umbrella of HIP HOP.

Reggae doesn't have an umbrella term like that. People use Reggae as the umbrella but the question here is should that be so?

If i think back to the first Bob Marley and the Wailers song - Simmer Down.... This would NOW be classed as reggae but at the time it was not called Reggae...

Reggae needs its own umbrella term which includes the downbeat and one drop of reggae, also includes rock steady and bashment and lovers rock and dub music. And tropical house. And maybe rap itself too..

Jus some thoughts
Haile

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 9/10/2019 9:41:21 AM

I feel you.

Me personally, I do see reggae as an umbrella for all kinds of variations. And to me, one of the most powerful things about reggae is its longevity. I could listen to the same Sizzla, Capleton, Morgan Heritage, Damian, Bob, Luciano, Buju, etc. for the rest of my life and still be happy because it doesn't age. When people ask me what kind of music I listen to I proudly say mostly reggae and no, I don't know all the new pop and hip hop artists. I don't care to know them. They may be good, but it doesn't matter to me.

When I'm more in a "dancehall" mood there's music specifically designed for that. It doesn't mean you can't dance to a love song or dance to something that isn't hype. It's just more of a specific mood for "that kind" of party. Sometimes I'm in the mood for something more gangsta and Bounty Killa hits you with that Star Wars riddim. There's so many kinds of reggae to me that I just see reggae as unlimited. But always every kind of reggae should pay respect to the roots. But there's just so much good stuff out there, some more about singing and melody like Gyptian and some more like Kabaka Pyramid that's more outside the box. You got classics like Chase the Devil and Night Nurse and Black Rose. It's like each type just feeds a different part of the soul and so its all beautiful to me. And it all started with one man. Kinda crazy to think about it.

One Love

1 - 1011 - 12

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I