Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7082&start_row=1

1 - 1011 - 12
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/24/2019 9:18:30 AM

Messenger: speaks from the chalice Sent: 2/24/2019 5:50:29 PM

For me the Reggae music this man speak of still goes on. But its getting squeezed out thinner and thinner when Spear and bands and artists of that era are slowly going away. It's really sad to watch, but my lifes getting on too. I'm just glad I lived through it, heard it, felt it and used it to further my life. Even Bob Marley's off springs's music is just a beat in my ear.. It's not that hypnotic beat that's pulls you up on your feet and makes you listen to it. Spiritually.

I think it's like Ras Tafari, the mould broke. But I do give thanks for the men and women of that time.. And they're still here with me :)

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 2/24/2019 6:56:33 PM

RasTafarI is Iternal.
Reggae music can come and go
RasTafarI was on this earth long before reggae and RasTafarI will be here long after.
RastafarI never broken
RastafarI never dies

RasTafarI Lives

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/24/2019 7:04:27 PM

True talk chalice and Jahcub..
It's still a sad sight to see.
I see commercial acrobat even overtake dancehall music

The problem with modern 'reggae music is even for the cultural roots artists much of the riddim produced are made digitally. The things Mackerel speaks of cannot be produced via strictly digital means. The subtle sounds of an instrument recorded over 4 minutes and not looped, recorded via a tape recorder with minute variable rates gives the classic sound of 70s 80s and 90s reggae music which is well missed imo.

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 4/16/2019 11:02:16 AM

The more Dem seh reggae dead..the more reggae spread

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 4/17/2019 2:03:50 AM

i still see teenage kids here in Southeast Asia listening to Wailers songs that i listened to when i was young man. They may not listen to the lyrics at first, but little by little the words of Truth make their impression upon them. It gives great joy to see the message of JAH continue to be heard by another generation this way.

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 4/17/2019 8:29:06 AM

"My feeling about this music is that it will get bigger and bigger and it will find its right people as it gets bigger"
– Bob Marley speaking about reggae

So here we have two Filipinos playing a reggae-style song that was written by a Jewish reggae singer of U.S. origins.

The positive vibration that spread out to inspire two Filipino to record a performance like this validates Bob's prediction, and really gives testimony to the power of the music to unify all people & to demolish the walls Babylon continues to try to erect between the people of the world.

JAH POWER EVERYWHERE

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 6/27/2019 2:37:30 AM

Reggae music HAS its roots and origins. Many branches have emerged. This problem I sight is when the branches lose the connection with the roots .
There is something eternal flowing when existence is living with its origins and in its origins ways.
Feel it in the one drop.
There's a natural mystic blowing through the air.
The fruits are because the roots and are the roots in a way.
We are made in JAH image and likeness
each must choose to be made and renewed
with every moon cycle and with every sunrise
to be born again, to regenerate the cells
to liberate the mind and to overcome babylon
many battles many races many trials
we die daily yet live still
sleep don't keep IandI down and neither will death
The Ingles will not ever stop giving thanks and praise to JAH
and reggae music will never die

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 9/9/2019 3:48:50 PM

I have to disagree with the elder although much respect. It's real easy for the older generation to lament the way that music changes and evolves. I have the same issues with what some of the stuff my kids think is music. And its perfectly okay to not like the latest trends. But denying them and saying its not reggae, I think crosses a line. Again, the man is obviously an elder and entitled to his opinion. But reggae is not one thing. Everything, in the beginning was just one thing. That is the nature of things. Because reggae has taken on new forms simply means that is the potential it had from the beginning whether you chose to see it or not. Saying dancehall is a place simply denies that artists could ever choose to make reggae specifically for people to dance to. To me a good reggae artist is multi-dimensional. They can make Dancehall, roots, and whatever else speaks to them because it is their expression, not a robbery and mimicry of the legendary Bob Marley.

For example Damian Marley, in my opinion, can do it all. He can make you dance and make you think. And I appreciate that. Kymani also, doesn't do it all as well, but also very talented and not one dimensional.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 9/9/2019 4:11:20 PM

I also think that part of what people are chasing is the ghost of legends. Just like a famous painter, their paintings are worth more dead than alive because now people know there wont be another quite like it.

Also, I do take his point about Jamaica vs the rest of the world and artists like JAH Cure and Morgan Heritage. A lot of it depends on the deals they have. A lot of it has to do with how much they can penetrate the global market and whether those new songs will have mass appeal.

1 - 1011 - 12

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I