Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7058&start_row=21

True Rastas

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/14/2019 12:04:02 AM

This is impossible as Rastafari was BIRTHED from Garveyism and Garveyites

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/14/2019 2:04:30 AM

I'm not certain if " 'Garveyism' is the complete opposite of what Rasta is trying to teach through the teachings of his imperial majesty" because I don't know everything that there is to know about it. For example, people of African descent (which we now know is All People) embracing Africa as a homeland and treating it as such is a beautiful notion. Certainly I would say that RastafarI in general long ago shed the Garvey-professed elements of racial separatism and racial purity (e.g., as in the mingling of the races in Love, marriage, cohabitation and child-rearing being "repugnant"). This is evident in the Teachings of His Majesty and just common sense.

The mentality that that regarded a Black man and a White woman dating and marrying as repugnant, is precisely the same spiteful, bigoted mentality that inspired men in white robes to lynch a Black man found consorting with a White woman. It's a form of ugliness that is disgusting and I equate it to a stench which blessedly has been cleansed from the majority who profess their allegiance to His Majesty.

Race-based bigotry always seems to rear its ugly head despite my own lifelong hopes that it would be a thing of the past by this point in history. RastafarI is not unique in experiencing some internal dissent in this area however: Many KKK members identified themselves as Christians which was abhorrent to those who actually followed the Teachings of Christ.

Any suggestion that RastafarI is somehow chained in the past to unsavory or immoral doctrine fails to recognize & acknowledge that JAH People are living, breathing, thinking beings who are dynamic and adapting in Righteousness to forge ahead as One People of One Flesh in our mutual quest to see Babylon brought down.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/14/2019 4:08:42 AM

Garvey is a national hero

Messenger: speaks from the chalice Sent: 2/14/2019 5:27:53 AM

@G.A.s quote :"This is impossible as Rastafari was BIRTHED from Garveyism and Garveyites"

This is simply not true to the readings I have read. It was Leornad Howell who started the Rasta movement. Not Marcus Garvey. Marcus Garvey could be interperated as one of those pastors who predict the end of the world and it never happens. Marcus Garvey denounced HIM. why denounce a prophesy you alone made? It doesn't make any sense.

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/14/2019 6:05:14 AM

Marcus Garvey definitely was officially proclaimed a Jamaican national hero.
When I consider some of my own country's most recently celebrated "national heroes" (e.g., John McCain and George H.W, Bush, both immoral warmongers), I'm not sure what such an accolade really signifies about a person other than that they are famous and/or infamous.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/14/2019 6:41:16 AM

All Jamaican national heroes aside from Bustamante are praised and loved by Rastafari

Early Rastafari were all Garveyites

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/14/2019 7:23:12 AM

Its mainly European Rastas who have this pick and choose mentality. Pick and mix.

Now I wait for someone to call my observation racist.... Lol

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/14/2019 7:29:21 AM

speaks from the chalice,
I think it possible for us to understand the status of Marcus Garvey as a Jamaican national hero, despite the obviously unsavory nature of some of his beliefs, by simply looking to the example of an American Founding Father like Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson was a slave owner and, by some accounts, had forced sexual encounters with a slave named Sally Hemings. These unsavory facts about Jefferson's life have not altered the esteem in which he is held as a Founding Father, despite the fact that they are odious in and of themselves.
It is not uncommon at all when creating icons from historical figures to overlook "their blemishes" (and even crimes) in favor of extolling their achievements.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/14/2019 7:49:28 AM

Watch at 16:30 onwards...

Watch at 2:30 onwards...

...to hear Mutabaruka's explanation of how Howell was drawing off of Garvey's call to Black people "Where is your God and King?"

Garveys Africa is NOT the only man, not even by far, to uphold Garveyism and to claim Marcus Mosiah Garvey as an absolute foundation of Rastafari.

If you disagree that Marcus Mosiah Garvey is a hero and a founder of Rastafari, that is your mind and you are free to use your own mind as you wish. But why try and convince this man Garveys Africa, or so many other Rasta, to agree with you? It is not your place to come into this trod and try to change it from its origin in ALL the minds of all the people who have trod this Livity. Control your own mind, disagree with the tenets of Garveyism, that is your place. But change all Black Rasta minds? Exclude Garvey from the hola trinity? Not your place. Seen?

In Love
Rastafari

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/14/2019 8:13:55 AM

Not sure who you are speaking to JAH Child. "Speaks from the chalice"? My point was to push back some in the dynamic with "Speaks from the chalice" and say that:

I'm not certain if " 'Garveyism' is the complete opposite of what Rasta is trying to teach through the teachings of his imperial majesty" because I don't know everything that there is to know about it.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcus Garvey as an individual espoused some rather notorious positions that were unsavory (or even anathema) to people of conscience and principle today. The point I just tried to make is that those few "blemishes" (like praising Hitler or Mussolini and the Fascists, or embracing the KKK's racial purity doctrine) hardly negate all the positive contributions that he made or his role in the early RastafarI movement. We are here for frank discussion, so I find nothing wrong with anything in this thread. Good and Righteous will stand out on its own merit and errant or even negative will fall away as any reader coming to it digests what has been written.

JAH TRUTH

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I