Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7054&start_row=11

Permaculture, Gardening, & Rain Water Harvesting

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 65
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 2/8/2019 1:32:33 PM

Blessed Love Sistren! Much more to come! I am excited about all the good works ones and ones are doing around the world with this permaculture. Communities are forming, crime is dropping, youth are getting educated, love is on the rise.

Give Jah the thanks and praise!
Jah Love and Guidance
RasTafarI

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/9/2019 5:11:39 AM

The practice of planting multi-level (or layered or vertically stratified) mixed crop gardens that mimic tropical forest ecosystems has been common & successful in humid tropical climate zones for a long time. I Googled it and I think this is, at least in part, what "permaculture" refers to (I confess that this is a new term for me kind of like "rain water harvesting" was what we all did on our fincas in the mountains of Nicaragua but I'd never heard it called that before). In the recent colonial past, this type of indigenous mixed crop gardening was largely replaced in many areas by foreign-imported pesticide-intensive and petroleum fuel-dependent large-scale monoculture which was disastrous for the local ecosystems & economies, leading to rapid soil depletion (e.g., formation of nutrient depleted hard crust in laterite soils) and continued destruction of natural habitat as new land for planting (to replace depleted soil zones) was continually cleared.

I've seen family-sized versions of these traditional multi-level, mixed crop gardens around people's homes in Africa, Asia, and Central & South America. They tend to resist insect infestations naturally because of the crop diversity and do not deplete soil nutrients. Many family garden plots planted in this manner have been producing crops for generations. On a larger scale, multi-level, mixed crop agriculture is labor intensive which is perfect for societies in which chronic unemployment (e.g., often caused by foreign agribusiness monoculture ventures) is a problem.

I imagine that you probably already know all of this, but it is especially interesting to me as a did my college economic geography term paper on the 'the benefits of traditional mixed-cropping over Western-style monoculture in the humid tropics' about 45 years ago --just a reminder that good soil stewardship and sound agricultural practices never go out of style.

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 2/10/2019 2:17:41 AM

I give thanks for your sharing Nesta1! I'm happy to get some input from the I, I am curious about your work with water systems and any other information you feel like Itributing :)

Permaculture is relatively new to me. Mixed crop gardening is definitely part of permaculture, going back to how we used to cultivate food before monocropping and pesticides.

Ethics also play a major role in permaculture (earth care, people care, fair share) along with 12 principles:

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/10/2019 2:20:36 AM

Thank you for sharing that Jahcub. That's definitely helpful.

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 2/10/2019 5:43:35 AM

Links to more in-depth information on the 12 Principles of Permaculture:

Principle 1: Observe and interact
Principle 2: Catch and store energy
Principle 3: Obtain a yield
Principle 4: Apply self-regulation & accept feedback
Principle 5: Use & value renewable resources & services
Principle 6: Produce no waste
Principle 7: Design from patterns to details
Principle 8: Integrate rather than segregate
Principle 9: Use small and slow solutions
Principle 10: Use and value diversity
Principle 11: Use edges & value the marginal
Principle 12: Creatively use and respond to change

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/14/2019 8:35:28 AM

These links have a lot of great info, give thankhs Jahcub!

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 2/15/2019 12:03:06 PM

Give thanks sistren! I'm happy the I checked the links. There seems to be a lot of information and works coming out of Australia. Permaculture is being practiced world wide now, again it's going back to how we all used to interact with nature, and eachother, when we cared more for the Earth and eachother/community. Some people still live this way and never lost that love and gratitude for the Earth and community. Some places and peoples never got mixed up with the industrialized agriculture and only caring for themselves, their needs alone, no sense of community... Those ones who kept those ethics of caring and sharing have much to offer, they are an examples of healthy societies.

Love and Life
Jah Light Shining Bright

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 2/15/2019 9:19:57 PM

This is amazing to me: rocket stoves

I'll post some videos on it when I can get back to my computer. Lots of fascinating things people are doing with rocket stoves.

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 2/17/2019 3:10:01 PM

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 2/19/2019 1:53:15 AM

Example of some good works being done with permaculture:

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 65

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I