Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7051&start_row=21

OUR SHARED ROOTS - ONE FAMILY TREE

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 125
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/1/2019 1:01:00 PM

"I am not a Rasta as I don't believe in label" - YOUR words missa mixup

Typical white Rasta sympathizer ABUSE of the words of His Majesty; who said Until.....then WE AFRICANS WILL FIGHT. Why do you people always chop that part? Until there is global racial equality then WE AFRICANS WILL FIGHT as instructed by Haile Selassie.

Haile Selassie said himself Africa's emancipation is not yet complete. Hence the African people choosing to stand and fight in physical mental and spiritual fight. The latter two being achievable in a black supremacy trod of Rastafari

I don't seek validation from the I with all due respect.

Messenger: man with chalice Sent: 2/1/2019 1:36:53 PM

Why did his HIM turn to Britain for help against the Italians, or do you deny that happened?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/1/2019 3:03:49 PM

Why not? What kind of foolish question is that? He was a member of the UN and felt the UN had betrayed their pact and so ended up within a founding member Nation of the UN to rally them into their previously agreed action in the face of War.

"I, Haile Selassie I, Emperor of Ethiopia, am here today to claim that justice which is due to my people, and the assistance promised to it eight months ago, when fifty nations asserted that aggression had been committed in violation of international treaties.

There is no precedent for a Head of State himself speaking in this assembly. But there is also no precedent for a people being victim of such injustice and being at present threatened by abandonment to its aggressor. Also, there has never before been an example of any Government proceeding to the systematic extermination of a nation by barbarous means, in violation of the most solemn promises made by the nations of the earth that there should not be used against innocent human beings the terrible poison of harmful gases. It is to defend a people struggling for its age-old independence that the head of the Ethiopian Empire has come to Geneva to fulfil this supreme duty, after having himself fought at the head of his armies."

This doesn't make Garveys perspective any LESS valid or righteous from HIS eyes as a Maafa looking from America. Garveys thoughts were needed too. Divine Black Supreme Royal Duality.

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 2/1/2019 3:56:02 PM

It was the League of Nations that H.I.M. was dealing with in those times. Later it became the UN. Respect.

Haile Selassie fought against the Italians Himself, and fought in some of the hottest battles. His own people begged HIM to go and plead Ethiopia's cause to the League of Nations, they thought it would be best. They did not want to loose HIM on the battle field.

HIM first tried to take refuge in Geneva Switzerland, but they denied HIM, later He found refuge in Bath, England. Remember though that the English tried to replace the Italians when they left Ethiopia. Italy, France, and England were working together behind Haile Selassie's back.

The fact that The League of Nations did not follow their charter, was cause for judgment: "Apart from the Kingdom of the Lord there is not on this earth any nation that is superior to any other. Should it happen that a strong Government finds it may with impunity destroy a weak people, then the hour strikes for that weak people to appeal to the League of Nations to give its judgement in all freedom. God and history will remember your judgement." And Jah passed His Judgement onto Europe.

And Europe was judged, WW2 broke out, fascism spread across Europe and Europe went up in flames. Once the League of Nations finally did what they were suppose to do, WW2 came to an end.

World War Two started with the Italian invasion of Ethiopia and came to an end with Ethiopia defeating the Italians.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/1/2019 4:04:34 PM

Right.

He was trying to question the importance and validity of Marcus Garvey in the trod due to what Garvey wrote about His Majesty while His Majesty was in exile. And secondary to question the black liberation side of things within Rastafari

I put to him that Garveys thoughts on Haile Selassie came from a place of righteous intentions. And came from a time before the final outcome...those words came from when His Majesty had not yet returned and the battle look all but lost to the Italians.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICASent: 3/4/2014 6:00:12 PM
Seen

1. ETHIOPIANISM - Garvey was an Ethiopianist. This was a pre-Rastafari movement form of ideology. Africa for the Africans and so on all stem from this philosophy. 

2. Marcus Garvey was outside looking in, Haile Selassie was inside reaching out. I'm saying remember where Marcus was receiving his information from, as a Westerner.

3. This was written before the full story had ran through, This was BEFORE His Majesty returned to his Rightful seat on the Throne and the Italians were disposed of.

What I'm saying is the way I love Africa and Ethiopia as the central point. If I 'heard' a Ruler of Ethiopia was holding Africans as slaves and starving Africans to keep the money for himself and as soon as a European colonial power comes to invade he 'runs away' and hides inside another wicked colonial power. I'd write an even wicked letter.....

You can see in the text this was written out of a LOVE for Ethiopia. +Don't discredit the role of Babylon propaganda machine around HIM at the time.

blessed

Hail Marcus I

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICASent: 3/4/2014 6:23:28 PM
Yes King, I'm saying.... in 1937, from the perspective Garveywas given, from Garveys love for African Nationalism and defence, and from the timing and fact that the Romans were IN Ethiopia when it was written...... If you take all of that into context, well speaking for Iself I dont see a thing wrong with it. I can overstand why Marcus said what he said at the time, and I can only see righteous reasons (even if ultimately inaccurate)

Messenger: VoodooRuutzSent: 3/5/2014 3:11:27 AM
Yes I GA! Dig dig, if it was I, me I wuda done da same thing too me yeh. Wit da babylie influence n propaganda InI thing most ones wuda reacted in such a way being in Garveys position!!!

Messenger: Ark ISent: 3/5/2014 3:20:32 AM

That thing written by Marcus was written before the war was over, so he didn't Iverstand what Selassie I was doing. If Selassie I didn't leave and gather the armies to fight Mussolini, Ethiopia would be an Italian colony. And also, Garvey was basing his opinions on Babylon propaganda, that is where he got his "information" about Selassie I.

All the things that Selassie I did, both nationally and internationally was to rise up Ethiopia and the Ethiopian people and to prevent Ethiopia from being conquored and taken over by another country (like many African countries were at that time). And when Haile Selassie I ruled Ethiopia, Ethiopia was prosperous and the standard of living continually increased. Even after Mussolini caused so much destruction, Selassie still managed to rise up Ethiopia and the Ethiopian people. And Since Selassie I left Ethiopia, things became worse then they were during Selassie I's rule.

And about the slavery. In 1923, 7 years before Selassie was coronated as Emperor, 5 years before he became King of Ethiopia, Selassie I worked with the Empress Zauditu and abolished slavery.

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 2/1/2019 4:28:03 PM

Yes I GA, that's the truth you speak. Ones come with a snippet of history, not knowing the fullness there of, the when, where, what, why and how. And so each one teach one.

Give thanks

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/2/2019 4:22:42 AM

Notwithstanding the disturbingly racist nature of some of the postings in this thread, the many Africans I’ve known in Africa have been universally welcoming and friendly to a person with light skin. As I shutdown the computer yesterday and took some time to reflect after reading one of the shockingly negative racist postings here, it occurred to me that this website is really the only place that I’ve ever encountered anyone wielding this ugly racism which portrays itself as having something to so with Africans or RastafarI.

I’ve spent a substantial amount of time (i.e., months) in eight countries of Africa, from Zimbabwe to Tunisia, Uganda to Zanzibar (Tanzania). Some of that time was on the tourist track, but much of it was not. There are a couple of general observations about Africa and Africans that are easy for me to make based upon this experience: (1) as a rule, Africans are among the very most warm, friendly and hospitable people one could ever hope to meet anywhere on the planet, (2) I’ve never felt any more continuously safe, day or night, indoors or outdoors, any other place in the world than Africa, and (3) I’ve never experienced even a hint of racial discrimination/intolerance in Africa (e.g., i could be the only white person in group of ten thousand Black Africans and no one would make me feel unwelcome or even different from them – neither would they make any remark at all about my skin color).

I really needed to go back to refresh these memories of Africa in my mind after be stunned by the racism directed here, not just at “white people”, but at me personally because of my skin color (which is an accident of birth, no more). I needed to re-ground myself in who Africans really are.

There was the time many years ago at the little village of Bwejuu, Zanzibar when we stopped to watch the townspeople hauling in their huge fishing net along the beach. They beckoned us (2 white people) to come join them in the effort. After we had all worked together to pull the net in, they insisted that we take “our share” as they divided up the catch. A woman from the group insisted on cooking our share of the catch for us that night as we joined her and her family for dinner in their home.

Another time we stopped to admire the mixed-cropping garden in front of an old Ugandan couples’ home in the Ssese Islands. Seeing us (two white folks) outside peering into their yard, the old couple came out to greet us and chat. After we told them how much we loved the islands they said that they owned this big plot of land and that we should come build a house next to theirs and stay there. They were serious. Can you imagine people anywhere making that offer? We later dined with the couple, eating food grown in their garden.

Finally, another of the most deeply touching moments for me in Africa happened just last year when a group of three Berber school girls (maybe 12 or 13 years old) in Morocco walked up to my wife, my daughter and me on the street and (for no particular reason) greeted us by by smiling and kissing each of us on our cheeks. They wanted nothing. They could just see that we were foreigners and they wanted to express to us how welcome we were.

I needed to remind myself of these real life experiences and so many more like them to purge from my mind the poison of the resentment and racism expressed here at times; resentment and racism that not only sully the Righteous Person of H.I.M. and His Love, but sully the image of a whole continent of people who are far more powerful, loving and good-hearted than such poisonous rhetoric suggests that they are.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/2/2019 4:52:31 AM

Many none African RASTAFARI confuse black supremacy with racism. The only ones who I have known to understand it online have been Ark I and JahChild and maybe 1 or 2 others

Black Redemption liberation and supremacy have been consistent themes I have met since a child all through my walks of Rastafari all through my studies and personal experiences within my 30 years born into the trod.

And never racism

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/2/2019 9:06:27 AM

The Oxford Dictionary:
RACISM:
1. Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
1.1 The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHITE SUPREMACY or WHITE SUPREMACISM is the RACIST belief that white people are superior to people of other races and therefore should be dominant over them.

BLACK SUPREMACY or BLACK SUPREMACISM is a racial supremacist belief which maintains that black people are superior to people of other races.

SUPREMACISM is an ideology which holds that a particular class of people is superior to others, and that it should dominate, control, and subjugate others, or is entitled to do so. The supposed superior class of people can be an age, race (classification of humans beings) species, ethnicity, religion, gender, (social construct), sexuality, language, ideology, nation, or culture, or any other part of a population.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But we don’t really need to research definitions here, do we? Racism is well understood in common usage to be making reference to racial differences in order to antagonize or demean people. We don’t need a definition of a 'racist attack' because it CARRIES A FEELING WITH IT -- an extremely unpleasant feeling -- and you know when you’ve experienced one. Its intent is crystal clear even if attempts are made to disguise it with nuanced language.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“[Marcus] Garvey still believed wholeheartedly in the fallacy of biological racial distinctions–in there being such a thing as Black blood and White blood. He thereby joined with eugenicists and Klansmen in looking down on biracial people and light-skinned people, in hailing President Warren G. Harding when he said in 1921: ‘racial amalgamation there cannot be.’ Instead of viewing light-skinned Blacks as naturally equal to dark-skinned Blacks from an antiracist standpoint, Garvey fashioned the other less acknowledged ideological side of colorism. Garvey more or less looked down on light-skinned Blacks as inferior, holding dark-skins as the standard of Blackness, as some Black power activists did fifty years ago, and as some Black activists do today....Garvey advocated Black racial purity, opposing interracial reproduction due to the intrusion of different White blood.”
- Ibram X. Kendi , African American Intellectual History Society (AAIHS)
----------------------------------------------------------

As a RastafarI who has been on this trod following H.I.M. & His Teachings for well over four decades, I&i refuse to ever have to carry a color chart with me (like i did to describe the color of soil and rock during field studies), to determine what a person's proper race classification is, because as far as my love, respect & interactions with a fellow human being goes, I&i couldn't care less what their skin shade or racial classification is.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/2/2019 9:17:27 AM

That's not the definition of Black supremacy

White people cannot define a black experience ...

I have provided a number of Black definitions for the term as has Rastafari within the founding texts I have mentioned but you chose Oxford.... that was the mistake.

You C-A-N-N-O-T remove Garveyism from Rastafari. He is a founding prophet and his movement and philosophies a necessary pillar. To many such as the Boboshante EABIC he is a God as part of the divine trinity.... Garvey is a part of this trod

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 125

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I