Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7039&start_row=11

YOUR PARENTS

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 45
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/19/2019 6:41:20 AM

His musical gift and message being a drop in the ocean of many.

Blessed love

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/19/2019 7:05:38 AM

As a musician and RastafarI, I&i would agree with that characterization (albeit certainly a very pure, crystal clear, Righteous drop) within the context of reggae and we of the RastafarI community; but with respect to spreading the knowledge of H.I.M. across the earth "like the water covers the sea" and into every little corner of the space occupied by Imanity, there's really no denying (or point to denying since it's glorious) that Bob was anointed and blessed by JAH with a unique & special voice and mission -- a mission which was fulfilled and for which we give thanx.

Bob's own flesh and blood incarnation being the fusion of Black and White provides inspiration for the multitude who want to put aside forIver prejudice, segregation and HateDread, and Inite Imanity to use all of its collective strength throughout all of JAH People to defeat the Babylon System.

Of course, this Inity is ever growing each day and ever undermining Babylon's negativity and divisiveness.

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/19/2019 7:05:57 AM

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/19/2019 7:28:37 AM

I and many others disagree. Bob had more commercial success due to him selling out his brothers and going with Chris Whiteworst and UMG; as well as Bob being light skinned. He was certainly not the most talented singer or songwriter in reggae. We have seen similar with Elvis to Eminem to Sean Paul.

For me PeterTosh's message of no peace before justice was more aligned to Rastafari as well as being the better song writer. As far as the best voice in reggae, most would agree that belongs to D.Brown. All 3 having a message of Rastafari.

It can be argued the two mentioned above had a bigger impact on spreading the message among black people globally.

I respect Bob. Just not the overdependance on his lyrics and words when compared to others being quoted here as though he has more importance. Although not to relate this to you specifically Nesta

Blessed

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/19/2019 7:55:03 AM

Hmmm. It brings great joy that an overwhelming majority of people everywhere (and i mean from Kashmir to the Andes, Hanoi to Kampala, Budapest to Mandeville) are much more positive about Bob and his music, and don't share such a pejorative view of it. Seems like unnecessarily negative expression about someone who dedicated his life to communicating the Teachings of His Majesty throughout Imanity and who brought so much spirituality, positive learning, and joy to the human race.

It's great to positively extol the virtues of other musicians who you see as having made fine contributions, but it's so unnecessarily negative to disparage the accomplishments of one in whom so many millions have founds the inspiration to lead healthier. more peaceful and more meaningful lives.

i'm not sure what it accomplishes to be so negative. Why not just highlight the other talented contributing artists without denigrating the contribution of Bob Marley?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/19/2019 8:05:51 AM

My words are common thoughts among Jamaicans and Jamaican musicians. When Peter Tosh first heard of Bob's death his words were "well at least some of us will now Get a chance." And for a reason.

Please don't confuse my desire for justice as negativity. Justice toward the multitude of other musicians and Rastafari who are disproportionately viewed when compared to Bob Marley. And I am all too familiar with the light skinned or white skinned musician in black music being propagated above and beyond their peers. It started with Elvis.

There are many equally talented Rastafari musicians if not more talented who are as dedicated to Jah, never cut their locks, never sold out to the likes of Whiteworst but often go overlooked as they are unapologetic dark skinned Africans.

But again, I respect Bob. I don't respect the idolisation as though he is a saint of Rastafari. There is only His Majesty. No Man is higher than any other man

For example. If I make a statement in regard to my view on something within Rastafari. And a man then quotes Bob Marley (as often done) in an attempt to refute what I am saying. This is madness. Bob Marley is not higher or more authorative than any other I. I use Bob as an example as I don't see this same behaviour happening with other musicians. Bob is quoted almost as much as His Majesty!

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/19/2019 8:10:57 AM

Gee, my Jamaican friends (who are the poorest of the poor there) all really loved Bob Marley's music and seemed kind of proud of him as some kind of national hero. i never heard a negative word about him from any of them. But then the last time i stayed in Jamaica with them for any significant amount of time was in the late 90s. Maybe it's changed.....

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/19/2019 8:13:23 AM

He is a national hero. Again, don't take My sentiments as dislike toward Bob Marley

One just can't deny the reasons BEHIND his success; nor his conversion. And I would much rather see people's own personally formed viewpoints rather than something quoted from a Marley song. Or if that's going to continue, see a wider spectrum of artists from who we draw quotations and inspiration.

In summary to everything said..... BALANCE

Messenger: RasTafarIWork Sent: 1/19/2019 8:54:38 AM

I & I need not judge anyone,
tell I & I them sellout,
some say Malcom X
somesay Martin Luther King,
othersay Bob Marley,
othersay St.Peter,
othersay St.Paul,
Othersay St. Silas,
Othersay Marcus,
Othersay Selassie, ... ... ...
and so they judge.
Judge Not. (if your'e not ready for judgment!)
The Spirit in Revolution is a natural mystic and N1 can judge The Ways of The Most High!
and Bob Marley was Bubtised in accord with ETOC to fulfill his vow ina accord to his faith, and so will every Ras with his Lord.
No 1 chose to be born in North America or Jamaica, we are all children of the same ancestors, who am i to judge my brother?
likewise

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/19/2019 9:04:20 AM

Some say Christianity
Some don't

Yes bredda

Judge not for "We all come short of the glory of Jah" - Emmanuel Brown

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 45

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I